CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   M1 Carbine (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   10 Rd Magazines (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=258906)

jayej2156 02-10-2020 10:52 AM

10 Rd Magazines

I live in Va, & there is a good possibility I may have to get some 10 rd magazines for my carbine. Has any one recently bought any of these that function decently, & if you have, where did you get them?

.30 Carbine 02-10-2020 11:25 AM

I live in Virginia too. I have a 5 round carbine magazine that only says that it is made in the USA and I have not had any problem with it. I do not know the manufacturer.

I am also looking into replacing my bayonet lug barrel band with a type 1 or type 2 band. I will post a separate posting regarding that.

microwaveguy 02-10-2020 11:25 AM

Keep shooting has them

https://www.keepshooting.com/m1-carb...-magazine.html

Shomway 02-10-2020 12:29 PM

Pro Mag has also received good reviews too....
https://promagindustries.com/magazines/m1-carbine/

RVN 69-70 02-10-2020 12:48 PM

Virginiastan

Don't ya just LOVE the route VA is/has taken! Arggggg.....got to move!:mad:

218bee 02-10-2020 12:53 PM

Whatever brands you buy, one important thing are the two factory " stamped bumps" on the back of the mags. When inserting, these are what ride through the mag catch and prevent the mags from falling out. If you look at USGI mags, they are nicely stamped and very pronounced. I bought some 10-rounders recently that had very shallow bumps, and all three would just drop out of the carbine while I was shooting. Not good range etiquette and pretty damn embarrassing. I enlarged the bumps with a tapered punch and they no longer drop out. Just something to look at while shopping for 10-rounders.

Shomway 02-10-2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 218bee (Post 1910869)
Whatever brands you buy, one important thing are the two factory " stamped bumps" on the back of the mags. When inserting, these are what ride over the mag catch and prevent the mags from falling out. If you look at USGI mags, they are nicely stamped and very pronounced. I bought some 10-rounders recently that had very shallow bumps, and all three would just drop out of the carbine while I was shooting. Not good range etiquette and pretty damn embarrassing. I enlarged the bumps and they no longer drop out. Just something to look at while shopping for 10-rounders.

By chance were these the ProMags?

218bee 02-10-2020 01:01 PM

Shom, Id be lying if I said which brand they are. They aren't marked with a maker. I bought them as brand new, but out of the wrapper, and I beleive they were new when I got them. Lesson learned. I have a few lightly used USGI 15 rounders that I permanently converted to 10 rounds, to please my King, here in NY. Anyway, the carbine runs like a Swiss watch again with the neutered USGI mags.

309Carbine 02-10-2020 03:25 PM

10 seems to be the magic number. How long before they consider that too many? I have just been collecting good 5-rounders and not stopping at 10.

T38Carbine 02-10-2020 03:37 PM

No magazine capacity limits here WV. But I have several 5 round mags that fit nice and clean and actually make shooting easier...especially from a bench. Which I do when initiating young shooters. Plus I’m not often in a fire fight so 5 is plenty. Just something to consider.

RVN 69-70 02-10-2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 218bee (Post 1910869)
Whatever brands you buy, one important thing are the two factory " stamped bumps" on the back of the mags. When inserting, these are what ride through the mag catch and prevent the mags from falling out. If you look at USGI mags, they are nicely stamped and very pronounced. I bought some 10-rounders recently that had very shallow bumps, and all three would just drop out of the carbine while I was shooting. Not good range etiquette and pretty damn embarrassing. I enlarged the bumps with a tapered punch and they no longer drop out. Just something to look at while shopping for 10-rounders.

Excellent point made there - I will buy one or two to see how they work...If they do, might get more:o

RVN 69-70 02-10-2020 03:45 PM

In VA

Quote:

Originally Posted by 309Carbine (Post 1910927)
10 seems to be the magic number. How long before they consider that too many? I have just been collecting good 5-rounders and not stopping at 10.

Proposed Virginia Bill states maximum 12 rounds ...... again PROPOSED Bill....only time will tell if it passes.........arggggg:mad:

jayej2156 02-10-2020 03:56 PM

228bee, how hard is it to convert those 15's to 10's?

218bee 02-10-2020 04:35 PM

Jayej, there are several ways to block USGI mags. I chose to drill a hole in the floorplate, dead center and run a 5/16" machine screw straight up into the mag body, then lock it off with a bolt inside the mag, against the inside of the floorplate, stopping the downward travel of the follower at 10 rds. By trial and error, you cut the bolt to length, so when you load the mag, it only accepts 10 rounds. I then put a blob of JB Weld on the screw head, so as to make it look permanent and not rile up my King. This way, you are not destroying any mag parts, only a drilling a hole in the floorplate. I guess you could also install a small block of wood as a spacer. Or pop rivet on the side strategically at 10 round mark to stop the follower, but then you're butchering the USGI mag body, which is what I tried to avoid. I have to get educated on my states anti-2A SAFE ACT that got pushed down our throats a few years ago, as I think theres a provision for C&R weapons & their mags.

YahooMarine 02-10-2020 05:21 PM

Timely thread. I too live in VA and am a bit concerned.

The way the bill is currently written it is for 12 round mags. If necessary I'll try the floor plate fix to make 12 round mags out of a few common extra mags I have. Thanks 218B.

Also thanks for the suppliers websites. Might try a few. Fulton has them as well but about 2X the cost.

Tomorrow is crossover day in the legislature and the house bill may not even be sent over as the Senate has 4 dems not comfortable with the measure as it is written. Only need 2 dems to defect. Or, if it is sent over, the Senate may water it down a bit more. Already the provision to register 'assault weapons' has already been deleted. The Senate has no plan at all so the house bill is the issue.

Before panic buying I will wait a few more weeks to see how it ends up.

I am actually optimistic as one dem has already said he will not vote for a ban.

Rich

epm729 02-10-2020 07:21 PM

I bought 10 Promag 10 round mags for shooting matches in Vt. They have all worked flawlessly. Not one mis-feed or had a mag fall out once seared. Eddie

epm729 02-10-2020 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 218bee (Post 1910967)
Jayej, there are several ways to block USGI mags. I chose to drill a hole in the floorplate, dead center and run a 5/16" machine screw straight up into the mag body, then lock it off with a bolt inside the mag, against the inside of the floorplate, stopping the downward travel of the follower at 10 rds. By trial and error, you cut the bolt to length, so when you load the mag, it only accepts 10 rounds. I then put a blob of JB Weld on the screw head, so as to make it look permanent and not rile up my King. This way, you are not destroying any mag parts, only a drilling a hole in the floorplate. I guess you could also install a small block of wood as a spacer. Or pop rivet on the side strategically at 10 round mark to stop the follower, but then you're butchering the USGI mag body, which is what I tried to avoid. I have to get educated on my states anti-2A SAFE ACT that got pushed down our throats a few years ago, as I think theres a provision for C&R weapons & their mags.

You can have 15 round carbine mags in NY as long as they're at least 50 years old and you register them. Eddie

YahooMarine 02-10-2020 08:11 PM

Some more good news in VA... The House bill was watered down again today to make it more palatable to the Senate before passing it over. The penalty for possession of a 'hi cap' mag has been reduced from a class 6 felony to a class 1 misdemeanor. Still sucks and still a 12 round max though. I expect a bit more tweaking in the days to come. Might even get the mag cap up to 15 rounds.

Rich

.30 Carbine 02-10-2020 09:45 PM

Rich, Which bill are you looking at? I have looked at a couple of the bills and find it confusing to figure out which one is the latest. Saturday the Post referenced HB 961. HB 961 discusses getting a permit to own assault rifles, which in the end might leave a bad taste in my mouth, but better than the alternative.

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/leg...?201+sum+HB961

Quote:

Originally Posted by YahooMarine (Post 1911068)
Some more good news in VA... The House bill was watered down again today to make it more palatable to the Senate before passing it over. The penalty for possession of a 'hi cap' mag has been reduced from a class 6 felony to a class 1 misdemeanor. Still sucks and still a 12 round max though. I expect a bit more tweaking in the days to come. Might even get the mag cap up to 15 rounds.

Rich

YahooMarine 02-10-2020 11:12 PM

This came in an email from VA Shooting Sports Assoc earlier this evening:

HB 961, Governor Northam's ban on so-called "assault weapons" and standard capacity magazines and suppressors, was on Second Reading today (engrossing the bill ahead of final passage). It appears that those pushing this bill still believe they have to make additional changes to the bill to secure a majority for passage as a floor amendment was added today to reduce the penalty for possessing a magazine that exceeds 12 rounds. If the bill were to become law in its current form, it would only be a Class 1 Misdemeanor instead of a Class 6 Felony. The penalty could still include jail time however as a Class 1 Misdemeanor could result in up-to a year in jail. After a little less than 20 minutes of debate, the bill was engrossed and passed to a final vote that will take place tomorrow. Continue to contact your delegate and urge them to oppose this bill. You can find some great information by clicking here that will be useful for crafting talking points for your email.

HB961 has been amended twice as they fear it will not be sent over to the Senate tomorrow. Could die.

Rich

jayej2156 02-11-2020 01:00 AM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed enough dems will come to good sense and back away from voting on it.

jaken 02-11-2020 06:27 AM

Virginia HB 0961

All this is a mute point. If you read the bill it specifically states that if a rifle is capable of holding a magazine of over 10 rounds it is an assault rifle. It doesn't matter what magazines you own the rifle is capable of over 10 rounds and therefore illegal.

jayej2156 02-11-2020 08:01 AM

That is definitely an inaccurate definition by the dems. I hope they end up scrapping the whole bill.

YahooMarine 02-11-2020 08:33 AM

All this is a mute point. If you read the bill it specifically states that if a rifle is capable of holding a magazine of over 10 rounds it is an assault rifle. It doesn't matter what magazines you own the rifle is capable of over 10 rounds and therefore illegal.

That is not correct. The first revision does define that as an assault weapon but they are no longer illegal to own or possess. Can't sell them but can pass them down. Also, no registration required after the first revision so no real way to enforce anything.

The second revision eased up on the mag penalty.

The worst impact would be dealers could no longer sell them after July 1. That would create a serious rush to buy before then and really hurt the dealers after that.

The Senate is not behind the ban so it will likely get watered down even more or die in committee.

Let us pray!

Rich

jayej2156 02-11-2020 09:19 AM

YahooMarine, you have the up to date skinny so far. That news was what got me thinkin about the 10 rd magazines. I think, even in California they did some kind of repeal on the high capacity mags. These guys are turning their nose up tothe US, & VA Constitution. I swear I thought I read somewhere that if the govt made something illegal, that was bought legal, they had to compensate you for it. Not that that would entice anyone to give up their mags. Also, Thanks for the heads up on the Pro Mags Shomway

YahooMarine 02-11-2020 09:47 AM

YahooMarine, you have the up to date skinny so far.

I am a member of three state level pro 2nd amendment groups and all three have boots on the ground at the capitol. Each sends out an update after a legislative session. The groups are the VSSA, Virginia Citizens Defense League, and the Cavalier Rifle and Pistol Club.

Missing from the mix on reporting much is the NRA. That surprises me as they are HQ'd in Northern VA.

All of this gun control agenda is bad for the second amendment. None of it is acceptable. I am still hoping that the more conservative Senate will put an end to all of the 'assault weapons' and mag bans. If not today, by the end of the session in March.

Rich

YahooMarine 02-11-2020 09:51 AM

I have looked at some other states laws that have enacted bans, & most make allowances for collector firearms, but I havn't seen anything to that effect in the proposed Va ban.

The curios and relics portion of the VA code will be gutted under the porposed 'assault weapons' legislation. Un-amended that would have protected our carbines but it is re-written to pretty much exclude anything that goes bang even if it is 75 years old.

jayej2156 02-11-2020 09:54 AM

I'm a NRA member, & just sent a check to the VCDL. Yea, it seems to me like the Va Citizens Defense League has a lot more grit than the NRA over all of this.

YahooMarine 02-11-2020 03:07 PM

Ugh. Version 2 passed the house and is on the way to the Senate.
Hopefully the more conservative Senate will water it down or kill it.

jayej2156 02-11-2020 03:24 PM

Yea, I was hopin they would still be "indecisive" again & scrape the thing. But, the thing didn't pass but by 4 votes I think, & Repubs are big time outnumbered in the House. With only about a 4 member advantage in the Senate, it won't take many turn coat dems to vote it down, & the senate hasn't got another version of the bill, & that would kill it, for this year anyway. Today being cross over day, & another bill can't be drawn up in the House. Every one keep your fingers crossed. Hopefully I won't need any 10 rd mags, LOL.

jw762 02-11-2020 08:56 PM

Virginia legislation

I've read every version of the Senate and House bills since the first one was filed in December. None contained any language that to the effect, "capable of holding a magazine" of a given number rounds in regards to defining an "assault weapon."

The original bill would have outlawed "assault weapons." Then they changed it to "grandfather" those currently held, but with registration. Now even that has gone by the wayside. Looks like they will settle for just banning the new sale of such guns, but you can keep what you have with no registration.

Magazine limit has gone from 10 rounds to 12 rounds.

Someone mentioned the California magazine ban; what I understand from various news sources: Last year District Court Judge Benitez threw out the magazine ban. The state appealed to the 9th Circuit and Judge Benitiz reinstated the ban while the appeal was pending. A three judge panel in the 9th Circuit heard the case and upheld Judge Benitez's ruling that the magazine ban was unconstitutional. The state promptly appealed again so now the case will have to be heard by the full 9th Circuit. How long that will take is anybody's quess.

In Virginia yesterday, the current House Bill, HB 961, passed 51 to 48. All 45 Republicans voted against it along with three Democrats. (House of Delegates has 100 members; 45 Republicans and 55 Democrats.) Now it goes to the Senate.

The Senate has 40 members; 19 Republicans and 21 Democrats. Just need two Democrats to vote against it.

YahooMarine 02-11-2020 09:56 PM

Here is an excerpt with the exact wording:

2. A semi-automatic center-fire rifle that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an
399 explosion of a combustible material that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one of
the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a

So, if the firearm has a detachable magazine and any one of the evil features it is an assault weapon regardles of the capacity of the mag.

Example is the M1 Carbine with a bayo lug.

Rich

jayej2156 02-11-2020 10:20 PM

I can take care of the bayonet lug, if need be. I went on the Gen Assy site today to try to read the exact bill voted on, but all I could find was the version before the changes, & I don't think it had all the details. You can bet today, & tonight the Gov is making every back door deal imaginable to all his party's senators to get what he wants. I hope he is wasting his time.

jw762 02-11-2020 10:29 PM

Yahoo Marine,

I was commenting on a post above, "... if a rifle is capable of holding a magazine of over 10 rounds it is an assault rifle." That is not stated in the proposed law. It is NOT the capacity of the magazine that makes it an assault rifle.

As your post shows, the rifle has to be semi-automatic, centerfire, "has the ability to accept a detachable magazine" AND have one characteristic from a list which follows. The number of rounds the magazine holds is not delineated. You could have a one round magazine and it would still be an assault rifle.

The CAPACITY of the detachable magazine is not a factor in classifying a gun as an assault rifle.

YahooMarine 02-11-2020 11:15 PM

Yes, I see and agree jw. The wording of the most recent version of the House bill is convoluted and confusing. It appears to apply to any semi-auto handgun with a detachable magazine and one of the nasty features as well. This bill was put together by a committee of know-it-all know-nothings.

Rich

.30 Carbine 02-12-2020 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YahooMarine (Post 1911439)
Here is an excerpt with the exact wording:

2. A semi-automatic center-fire rifle that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an
399 explosion of a combustible material that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one of
the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a

So, if the firearm has a detachable magazine and any one of the evil features it is an assault weapon regardles of the capacity of the mag.

Example is the M1 Carbine with a bayo lug.

Rich

I maybe wrong, but my interpretation of HB 961 is that the M1 Carbine is not an "assault weapon" because it falls under a curio and relic.

Line 424: ""Assault firearm" includes any part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert, modify, or otherwise alter a firearm into an assault firearm, or any combination of parts that may be readily assembled into an assault firearm. "Assault firearm" does not include (i) a firearm that has been rendered permanently inoperable, (ii) an antique firearm as defined in 18.2-308.2:2, or (iii) a curio or relic as defined in 18.2-308.2:2."

"Curios or relics" means firearms that are of special interest to collectors by reason of some quality other than is associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons. To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

1. Firearms that were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, which use rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and that is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade, but not including replicas thereof;

2. Firearms that are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum that exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and

3. Any other firearms that derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event. Proof of qualification of a particular firearm under this category may be established by evidence of present value and evidence that like firearms are not available except as collectors' items, or that the value of like firearms available in ordinary commercial channels is substantially less.

YahooMarine 02-12-2020 12:51 PM

30: That is an excellent observation. By the end of this year all USGI carbines will be 75 years old, easily exceeding the C&R requirement.

Here is the wording again:

1. Firearms that were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, which use rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and that is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade, but not including replicas thereof;

I can read that same sentence and interpret that to refer to ammo for the firearm and not the firearm itself. Probably overthinking this.

There is still the pesky 12 round mag limit. Wonder if C&R covers the original USGI magazines.

Thinking deeper, my small but valuable stash of USGI M14 parts are likely all older than 50 years as well so would not fall under the parts of assault weapons taboo.

Going to need a better legal mind than mine to clarify this. Any help out there?

Thanks, Rich

jw762 02-12-2020 07:35 PM

The parts of the proposed bill dealing with C&R firearms are subject to interpretation. And the interpretation will be done by a judge after the gun owner has been arrested.

The M1 Carbine may be over 50 years old but the ammo is manufactured in the U.S. and readily available. The part about museum curators will probably apply only to firearms in the museum's collection. And there is nothing novel, rare, or bizarre about M1 Carbines; I see them for sale at every gun show and on numerous online auction sites. Associated with some historical figure, period, or event? Maybe, but like I said, the interpretation will be done by a judge.

YahooMarine 02-12-2020 08:34 PM

jw: Sadly, that is how I read it. However, I am betting that the Senate will really water this down to get it passed or will let it die for the year. Two Senators on the dem side have already voted against a couple of gun control bills and two more may do so on this one. Only need two of the four to help us.

Next year is a short legislative session so if the assault weapon bans dies this year it could be dead for two years. Time enough to reach the next House election and vote 6 or more of the really liberal dems out and reflip the legislature.

We will know soon.

Rich

jayej2156 02-12-2020 09:52 PM

Yea, on the C & R firearms i kinda read the thing as if the ammo was rare & scarce . It's kinda like they are trying to give you a positive on one end & a negative on another. It is un0cleare & laws should be able to be clearly read.