CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Smallbore (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   The Mossberg 44 Incomplete Gamble (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=9411)

mr_b8908 02-24-2010 11:56 PM

The Mossberg 44 Incomplete Gamble

Well I have recieved 3 of the incompletes thus far from the CMP, and I must say that I am quite satisfied! One Nice one, one ok (pitting), and one that would grade well below a racker :p ( 0% bluing and looks to have been gone over by a wire wheel!! All three of them have come with a serviceable stock, buttplate, buttplate screws, both sling swivels and all other parts minus the rear sights on all 3 and the front sight on the "silver back" I must say though that I did luck out and got one early serial numbered one set up for the lyman rear sight(the middle one in photo), and the other two are drilled and tapped (thanks CMP!) Now to get a scope mount and a decent scope so I can put them to work.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2a5kyeg.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/25ri81l.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/51vj4h.jpg

I wonder if one of the big Garand rebuilders would get a kick out or parkerizing my naked M44??

pbige 02-26-2010 05:30 PM

Nice....I am expecting one next week. did yours come with the firing pin?

mr_b8908 02-26-2010 11:03 PM

all of them have come with a firing pin and great bores btw... the first one i got is very accurate and groups very nice and shoots to poa at 15 yards with no rear sights, which i know 15yds is no great feat but i was just trying to check its function... now I have to wait until mynext paycheck to order a scope mount from havelin and hunt down a g4 scope and they should be gravy.... lol i may get the ugly one parkerized, barrel threaded, and add a suppressor.... hmmm maybe a covert squirrel gun... just kidding but it would be an interesting thought :p

I have an addiction for a good deal I may order a few more of em i just wish I had a cheap source or a rear peep sight but it looks as if they will cost me more than the actual rifle lol

pbige 02-27-2010 05:47 AM

I missed the trigger guards on two of them..It looks like the mags are going to be the trick to get at a decent price until Brownells get's some in stock.

mr_b8908 02-27-2010 01:36 PM

give havelin a call asap I got a grade II mag from them last week for $29 dollars shipped

pbige 03-01-2010 06:01 PM

My Incomplete Arrived Today

I checked the status on Friday night and it said ship ASAP..After running some errands this morning I came home to a Large box:) I am very Pleased with what CMP sent me Thank you Thank you. Bluing is Great.. It's is better than my Winchester .22 that I grew up with.
It has a Complete Bolt, Trigger Guard had a small crack at the rear screw hole, Butt-plate, Drilled and Tapped for a rear sight ( I will have to call Havlin's next payday for the Mossberg 22 Target Peep sight and the Green safety peg)
The stock has a #2 painted on it, I was planning on stripping it down and doing a complete refinish on it but now I am having second thoughts
I found this for the Serial number 109106 history:
Date 1/21/43
Contract W-478-ORD-3125
Quantity 14,500
Unit $16.65
Serial Numbers 100,001-114,500
http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=P3010001.jpg
http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=P3010002.jpg
http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=P3010019.jpg

edlmann 03-01-2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbige (Post 75104)
I found this for the Serial number 109106 history:
Date 1/21/43
Contract W-478-ORD-3125
Quantity 14,500
Unit $16.65
Serial Numbers 100,001-114,500

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/P3010001.jpg

http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/P3010002.jpg

http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/P3010019.jpg

Played with the links a bit.

pbige 03-01-2010 06:41 PM

Thank you:) I need to practice more.. .I have some pictures of The M1 Garand that I got in January

spiska 03-02-2010 11:56 AM

It's a good deal, even if you're just stocking parts to upkeep your complete rifles in the future. I bought one and plan to order a few more shortly to put together a few plinkers for the kids.

GARANDSTUFF 03-02-2010 12:13 PM

For the money these cannot be beat.... worst case scenario is alot of good parts for a low price.

TRICKSTER 03-02-2010 01:51 PM

Gamble pays off

My 2 M44 incompletes came today and what a deal. The only thing missing from one is the rear sight apeture and the other one is missing the rear sight apeture and the plastic fire, safe labels. This is a great deal.
http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/r...8/SANY0937.jpg

cuppednlocked 03-02-2010 03:34 PM

I'll keep my fingers crossed that mine is as "complete" as yours. I hope to see it this week.

Flemjasmo 03-02-2010 07:24 PM

Trickster - Today was a good day for M44's!

I missed the BWT so I had to pickup after work. I am very happy to report a late M44 is amazing condition:

Vitrually 100% Blue (only needs slight touchup where rifle was leaned against a wall repeatedly)
zero rust on outside
very slight surface rust on a 100% complete bolt (easily remoived with steel wool)
original trigger guard
perfect crown
both swivels
clean screw heads
mirror bright perfect bore
blade front sight
Outstanding original finish stock w/ ordinance cartouche in perfect shape - some minor dings
s-100 sights only missing apature (what is there is in 100% condition)!!!!!!
Missing red / green saftey pins

VERY HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flem

I know - I know ------ no pics / didn't happen.

I will get some up as soon as I can.

Flem

mr_b8908 03-04-2010 07:52 PM

There have been some VERY nice Incompletes come out lately.... I think I may need to put in another order for one and some ammo.... I really wish I could get one with a rear sight... lol

fischfam 03-07-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_b8908 (Post 77593)
There have been some VERY nice Incompletes come out lately.... I think I may need to put in another order for one and some ammo.... I really wish I could get one with a rear sight... lol

I don't see them listed in the e-store. How would I order one? Thanks,

Flemjasmo 03-07-2010 07:16 PM

They pulled all rifles out of the estore. Even the category is gone. Just use the standard paper form as always.

Eat Dirt 03-10-2010 12:04 AM

Hello Guys

This is my first post here

I'm sending in my paperwork tomorrow for the Mossberg 44

Here's why ::
My Grandpa had one in Michigan where I grew up in the '60's
It was the first gun I ever shot
He taught me how to shoot with that rifle !!!
I can remember him shooting walnuts off a tree in the woods and thinking " I want be that good someday !!!
Grandpa was my Hero
Then when he passed away the rest of the family wanted me to have the Rifle
I remember unzipping that old soft case and it smelled like ...Well like Grandpa

Well .. I never got a chance to shoot It ... It was stolen out of a wooden and glass show cabinet I had ...( Before I got a gun Safe ) in a home robbery.
They broke in thru a window and only took all the wifes rings and things and broke open my gun cabinet
I.ve Always wanted to replace that rifle
Nows my chance

True story Guys
Thanks for reading ......... The New Guy

Alabama 03-10-2010 12:45 AM

Any of these drilled and tapped for a scope?
The one I got at the south store on the 25th was drilled and tapped for scope and almost 100% except for rear site. Had swivels, safety buttons.

Awesome stock and bluing.

edlmann 03-10-2010 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alabama (Post 81892)
Any of these drilled and tapped for a scope?
The one I got at the south store on the 25th was drilled and tapped for scope and almost 100% except for rear site. Had swivels, safety buttons.
Awesome stock and bluing.

IIRC, some have been.

FWIW, local gunsmith charges $12.50/hole x 2 for the Havlin mount.

Jrb572 03-10-2010 11:24 AM

Just got mine. Awsome bluing. Except bolt handle. No biggy there. Stock has some wear. But has trigger guard. But no rear site. For $65 dollars. I couldn't be happier. All stock swivles are there and the red fire button is missing. But it looks nice.

Flemjasmo 03-10-2010 01:28 PM

My second M44 has arrived and is consistant witrh the middle to high range of what we are seeing. However nothing like my last one which was virtually as new. Still very happy ans a killer deal for $65. At least I will get some project time onthis one.

Complete except for:
- Buttplate and screws
- Safety position pins
- rear sight assembly

Overall condition is still good to very good.

Stock is sticky but in good shape - only one chip where the buttplate is gone
Metal is blue with very light surface rust - no pitting - easy clean up and buff.
Bolt is parked, dirty, but in excellent functional shape
Crown is perfect
Bore is perfect and mirror bright.
NOT drilled and tapped.

Pic's to follow soon.

Flem

topgun 03-10-2010 04:20 PM

Eat Dirt

Good story,,I hope you get a nice one..Good Luck.:)

Eat Dirt 03-11-2010 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topgun (Post 82281)
Eat Dirt

Good story,,I hope you get a nice one..Good Luck.:)

Thanks . All .....the paperwork goes out in the morning
I hope I'm not too late to get one

joe wilson 03-11-2010 12:25 PM

We will keep our fingers crossed for you. We never forget our first .22 do we?

Just a reminder, you do NOT have to D&T an M44 to mount a scope. Weaver makes a two piece mount that is very easy to adapt with simple, basic hand tools.

I have an "incomplete" M44 on order and hope it looks as nice as the ones posted here.

petro 03-11-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe wilson (Post 82939)
We will keep our fingers crossed for you. We never forget our first .22 do we?

Just a reminder, you do NOT have to D&T an M44 to mount a scope. Weaver makes a two piece mount that is very easy to adapt with simple, basic hand tools.

I have an "incomplete" M44 on order and hope it looks as nice as the ones posted here.

Joe

What is the model number or where can I find the Weaver mount you mentioned?

Thanks

topgun 03-16-2010 02:06 PM

M44 inc

FedEx just dropped off my M44 US INC.I got lucky they sent me a very nice one. All that is missing is the rear sight and safety pins..Stock and metal looks like it was used very little.Has a parkerized finish with no wear marks on the inside of the reciever...:GS:(Only took 28 days to get the rifle)

TRICKSTER 03-18-2010 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petro (Post 83001)
Joe

What is the model number or where can I find the Weaver mount you mentioned?

Thanks

This was posted by Master Chief on the old boards. I hope it helps.
http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a
Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Chief
I put this on my 6 digit US Property 44US. I got mine long before the CMP took over from the DCM. This sounds like a lot of work but after you get the parts and look at them it is pretty easy. I put mine on in 01 and haven't lost zero setting yet
Just take it easy and you will be ok. Let me know how it works out for you. If I can be of any help let me know. If I can firgure out how to send a pic I'll post one.

Here are the instructions in full detail
Date: Saturday, 30 June 2001, at 9:37 p.m.
I purchased my weaver scope mount parts at a local gun store. I decided to shop
local so I could see the mounts first hand, and even took my M44 with me so I
could dry fit several different mounts. I listed a price of $50 retail. On-line
prices may be less.

here are the instructions

Weaver #1 side mount #48401
Weaver #49340 Long side ring mount
10-32 X 3/8" socket head cap screws(screws will need to be shortened)
1) Using a 13/64 drill bit, drill out both rear screw holes on #1 mount to
accomodate #10 screws(the mount is drilled for #8).
2) Hold #1 mount on side of receiver with hand. line up rear hole on #1 mount
with rear sight screw hole on M44.
Kind of eyball and scribe a mark where stock curves up and touches #1 side
mount. This is approx. how long your cut needs to be. I had to cut high enough
that I was along top edge of forward screw holes on #1 mount. Length of cut will
vary depending on countour of stock. Using a hacksaw, or dremel tool with thin
cut-off disc, Cut off bottom of #1 mount. Start cutting at Front of mount
towards rear, and stop at the mark you scribed. cut up from bottom and remove
the forward bottom piece. Aluminium heats up a lot. you may have to stop several
times to dissipate heat build up in mount. Dry fit #1 side mount holding with
hand. Use a flat file to smooth edges and custom trim any high spots which come
into contact with stock. You should have a visible gap between stock, and new
forward bottom edge of #1 mount.

3) REMOVE BOLT FROM M44!!(THE SCREWS ARE TOO LONG AT THIS POINT)
Using dremmel tool with 1/8" diameter milling bit, elongate one hole on #1 side
mount to line up with sight srew hole on M44(Factory drilled holes on #1 side
mount do not line up with M44 rear sight screw holes). Dry fit on M44 using
10-32 X 3/8" socket head cap screws. Both screws should screw in easy. If not
elongate hole a few thounsanths more. Attach #1 side mount to M44 using 10-32 X
3/8" socket head cap screws.

4)Once you have #1 side mount mounted on M44, and both screws tightened down,
look inside receiver. You should see a couple of threads of each screw extending
into receiver where bolt rides. This is how much you need to trim off of 10-32 x
3/8" cap screws.
Remove 10-32 X 3/8" cap screws from M44. Hold head of cap screws in vice grips.
Using dremel tool with drum sander, trim off a couple of threads from end of
10-32 X 3/8" cap screws. Run cap screws through a 10-32 die to chase threads.
Re-install #1 side mount with trimmed down 10-32 cap screws, and inspect inside
receiver to be sure the end of screws do not protrude trough receiver where bolt
rides. If needed remove 10-32 cap screws, sand down a couple thosandths more,
chase treads with 10-32 die, and re-install #1 side mount. Keep doing this until
you can visibly see the cap screws do not protrude into receiver where bolt
rides.

Finally install #1 side mount, #49340 long side ring mount, and scope. You are
now ready to go to the range and sight in your M44 with scope, and you did'nt
have to drill any new holes in your M44 U.S.
This works great. I did this on both my M44s. Aslo the empty weaver boxes are a
great place to store your rear sights, original rear sight screws, and even the
.22 short screw adapter from your Magazines(purchased from Havlin sales of course).

Mike V

cpl.pd 03-18-2010 01:12 PM

Finally got the ok

I ordered an M44 last year and missed the cut off. My wife and I have a baby on the way in June. She said no more guns until after the baby is born. This of course includes the M44 since it is a rifle. Canceled my first Garand and sold the ammo.

So she said go ahead and order one today. I am hoping that someone out there has parts for this. I don't even know how to install a sight to be honest. Sounds like the oringinal parts are all gone. I know of Havlins but they seem pretty low on stuff right now. Anyone in the NW Illinois area that can help me?

Let's see if I can get a nice one for my kid.

Eat Dirt 03-27-2010 11:19 PM

Well ,, I got the " Recived and Verified your order "" E- Mail from CMP Friday

Now the waiting begins......... Tick ... tick ... Tick ....

How much Longer .????????????

But I did score on getting 2 Mags at a gun show today
Got them from a dealer of just Mags. / Paid $ 34.99 each .Ouch

topgun 03-28-2010 01:57 PM

mags

That is the going price for the M44 US mags.that I have seen for sale.They may be higher priced when they get out for sale in the near future.:rolleyes:

I would say you were lucky to find any at all for sale..

joe wilson 03-29-2010 02:35 AM

Last year I bought a "complete" M44. I had mailed my paperwork in a few days before the listing was changed on the sales page to "Sold Out not accepting orders".

When it arrived it was missing the safety pegs, the stock needed refinishing and someone had installed a 40X accessory rail on it. I ordered 3 mags from Brownell's. Havlin's was out. It turned out to be very accurate after it settled down and the back sight got adjusted. (It was not drilled & tapped, and had the original blue finish).

So the "incomplete" M44s became avail so I ordered one. When it arrived it was missing the back sight (of course) It had the original blue finish, a slightly nicer stock, both original safety pegs were present. It was complete otherwise. It is actually a little nicer than my complete one that cost $110 more but came with an S-100 back sight.

A week before the incomplete shipped, Midway notified me that they had M44 mags back in stock so I ordered 2 more.

I put "S-100 Mossberg sight" into Google and I found a WTS ad from months ago for the ridiculous price of $40 including shipping. I had to "join" the web site in order to contact the seller. I almost gave up, but I joined and emailed the guy and he still had it. A week later it was on my rifle.

It too was a bargain because S-100's are going for upwards of $70 on Flea-bay right now. So for less than $400 I got two, pretty nice Mossberg M44's with 5 magazines.

I cant thank the CMP enough. Isnt it funny how the CMP stimulates various businesses by selling us rifles? Midway, Havlins, Brownells as well as ammo mfgs and other retailers.

ag4nv 03-31-2010 10:52 AM

I ordered and recently received an "incomplete" M44. It is beautiful! Much nicer than the very nice "complete" one I bought last year. Missing only the rear sight, and I've ordered one of Havlin's. I must say this was a MUCH better buy than the first one. Good bluing, near perfect stock, and a really light and crisp trigger. With the Havlin sight, I have $130 invested in it. Good deal! 54usaf74

Eat Dirt 03-31-2010 10:57 AM

Pictures Sir. ! .......Front and center with those Pictures

cpl.pd 03-31-2010 12:19 PM

Dbu m44

Received my DBU today. Anyone know the time frame after that? I know the DBU says 60-90 days just wondering.

wrwindsor 03-31-2010 12:47 PM

From what I've seen (in the posts), typically two weeks after DBU, sometimes three.

cpl.pd 03-31-2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrwindsor (Post 96763)
From what I've seen (in the posts), typically two weeks after DBU, sometimes three.

Thanks, can't wait to see what I get.

Flemjasmo 03-31-2010 02:06 PM

A promised, I finally have my second M44 cleaned up and presentable. This arrived on March 10th.

All I have done so far is steam the dents and rub down the wood with BLO, replace the safety pegs, replace the original trigger guard because I had a new on hand, and replace the buttplate.

It isn't as clean as my first one but I'll think I'll keep her. Now on to getting a plan in place for a sighting system...

Full Slidshow: http://s726.photobucket.com/albums/ww261/Flemjasmo/Mossberg%20M44US%20number%202/?albumview=slideshow

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/w...MG_1994-01.jpg

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/w...MG_2010-01.jpg

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/w...MG_2016-01.jpg

Eat Dirt 03-31-2010 06:16 PM

NICE Slideshow !!!! Flem

PM sent

navair 03-31-2010 06:19 PM

Again You can't go wrong for $65.

fischfam 04-03-2010 09:59 AM

I placed a paper order for an M44 (inc) about four weeks ago and about the same time placed an e-store order for a can of .30-06 ammo. I see the pending order in the e-store for the ammo but the Mossberg has not shown up there yet. I did get an email from the CMP about two weeks ago basically a DBU. Is this normal that the pending order is not in the store until it is being worked? The DBU didn't have any description of my order only a DBU. I forgot what happened with my Garand purchase last year.