CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   CMP Rules (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   2019 modern military (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=239559)

GarandThumb21 01-16-2019 10:52 PM

I have the Windham A4 upper with carry handle and 20” govt profile barrel. Paired with my lower, it looks and feels like a M16A2...including weight (about 7.8 lbs.) IMO, a weight limit on these rifles should take into account the weight of the military rifle (M16, M14 etc), and should consider the weights of commercially available rifles that otherwise meet the requirements of the rule. Setting the weight limit below the military rifle weight doesn’t make sense.

Talyn1 01-16-2019 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gewehr43 (Post 1793716)
Has anyone actually weighed a AR15A2? Instead of quoting books?

I'll have mine (a Windham A2 barrel assembly is on the way) ready the end of next week, and will weigh it on a digital scale.

Otherwise Windham Weaponry lists a weight of 7.7 lbs. for their A2 Classic.

FF1915 01-16-2019 11:05 PM

I’ll weigh my new upper when the barrel comes in.

Talyn1 01-16-2019 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarandThumb21 (Post 1793723)
I have the Windham A4 upper with carry handle and 20” govt profile barrel. Paired with my lower, it looks and feels like a M16A2...including weight (about 7.8 lbs.) IMO, a weight limit on these rifles should take into account the weight of the military rifle (M16, M14 etc), and should consider the weights of commercially available rifles that otherwise meet the requirements of the rule. Setting the weight limit below the military rifle weight doesn’t make sense.

I agree. That's why I suggested that CMP use 8 lbs. for the Class A weight to cover any variations.

That weight would also exclude the old HBAR since the HBAR barrel weighs 1 lb. more than a 20" govt. profile barrel. Plus the HBAR was never standardized as a military configuration.

If CMP would only specify that for Class A that only the M16, M16A1 and M16A2 variant configurations would suffice as the patterns for the semi-auto commercial versions that would remove any interpretation problems. KISS = Keep it Simple S...….

ceresco 01-16-2019 11:11 PM

The new 7.5# weight rule makes it difficult to build a legal 20" rifle, but a 16" HB CAR is no problem. I have a early Colt M16A1 upper that weighs 4lb 4oz. With a standard A2 lower (2lbs 9oz), I am legal at 6 lbs 13oz. A free float handguard is not going to change much and will be needed based on my previous experience. An A2 or A4 upper with carry handle will add weight as will any barrel other than the original "pencil" barrel. The typical adjustable buttstock will shave off around 8 oz. The rules are not clear as to the legality of CAR type Carbines, A4+carry handle uppers adustable stocks, etc. I read the rules as allowing them, but there are way too many unanswered questions. I just ordered a pencil barrel knowing full well that this is probably not the end of this mess. Good Shooting. .. Addendum: possibly useful info: carbine HG with delta hardware--7 oz. WO A2 upper receiver--13 oz. A4upper+carry handle--15 oz. M16 complete front sight--5 oz. Complete CAR A2 upper--71 oz. Tube (aluminum) Free Float HG with barrel nut--8.5 oz. Complete BCG--11.5 oz (ave). Complete A2 lower--41 oz. Typical "pencil" barrels 28-29 oz. All weights can vary some......

Talyn1 01-16-2019 11:20 PM

Right now my entire A2 fixed-stock assembly, w/o everything front of the barrel nut threads weighs 4.1 lbs.

In my research folks say a standard govt. profile 20" barrel weighs 2 lbs. that leaves me 1.4 lbs. for the rest of the barrel parts, gas tube & handguards to make 7.5 lbs.

Well see how things play (weigh) out.

If I have to I can use a LW BCG and Carbine buffer w/spacer to shave off around 4 oz. while keeping it looking like a standard A2.

Pappy 01-17-2019 02:50 AM

My A2 build (with carry handle and A1 stock) comes in at 7.8 pounds. I'll be taking the scope off my (EX MM) 16" and adding a carry handle I guess. I have a clone M14 that makes weight.

Jeremy2171 01-17-2019 04:00 AM

I'm seriously thinking there my be an opiod crisis on the CMP rules committee....

la Fiere 01-17-2019 09:05 AM

I am far from an expert on AR types and designations, but I think my rifle pictured in Post #13 above, is configured more less like a semi-auto A2. It weighs over 8 lbs.

Jeremy2171 01-17-2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by la Fiere (Post 1793795)
I am far from an expert on AR types and designations, but I think my rifle pictured in Post #13 above, is configured more less like a semi-auto A2. It weighs over 8 lbs.

I agree.."any" general issue are configuration AR should be in class A.. A4 with rail.. etc....as long as no match items or float tubes or optics.

Think class A as original configuration iron sights only.

Class B .... whatever ...