View Single Post
Old 11-16-2021, 03:12 PM

There are always teething problems as a new force comes into place. Since most of the firearms Remington built were subcontracted out, the new guys are going to find which subcontractors are stinkers.

A guy who worked at the Huntsville Plant told me, they received 1911 slide forgings from S. Korea. And they were inspected in plant. Rejects went back to the S Korean vendor. Who then sent them right back with the next shipment. So Remington Huntsville learned to stamp a mark on the rejected receivers.

Very few of the parts were made in the Huntsville Plant, most were subcontracted out. I think the barrels were done there, and final finishing of slide forgings. Internal parts were subcontracted, I understand.

There were hardly any people in the plant, it is not like the old days. I was told by a person who got a plant visit, at the beginning of the production line there was maybe a person roaming around picking up things that fell off the conveyor belt system. Everything was highly automated, the CNC machines and production line pretty much did everything.

It was not until the end of the production line, there were "20" something's assembling guns from parts. These guys were standing only, no chairs, and they did not have files. They did no adjustments, just screwed things together.

Assembly lines are simplified to the hamburger joint level. You are shown your basic tasks of squirting mustard, applying mayonnaise, and that is all you need to know. The company does not want highly skilled or expensive assembly line employees, they want cheap labor that can be replaced quickly.

The guys who program the machines and keep them running are a different skill level, but they are not touch labor.

Last edited by Slamfire; 11-16-2021 at 03:14 PM.