X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krdomingue
    • Nov 2015

Barreled Receiver will not pass tilt test

Looking for advice before I give up and part it out.

I purchased an HRA barrel receiver in Feb 2016 from somebody on this form who had purchased it from the CMP years prior. It sat around for a while before I collected all the parts to put it together. After I finally got around to it, it will not pass the tilt test with the lower band installed. I have tried with a couple different lower bands including a brand new one off a CMP stock set. I have tried several different op-rods to include a couple off perfectly functioning rifles. I have also tried it will three different gas cylinders.

No lower band, it passes the tilt test. With lower band it fails.

I am hoping I am missing something obvious, but I am beginning to believe the barrel might be slightly bent.

Suggestions?
    Last edited by krdomingue; 01-25-2021, 01:00 PM.
  • Jakeroub
    • Dec 2016

Have you checked that the barrel is not over or under indexed?

Comment

• krdomingue
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Jakeroub View Post
      Have you checked that the barrel is not over or under indexed?
      No, (and I will now) but it is rubbing against the bottom of band no the side.

Comment

• lapriester
        • Oct 2009

Bent barrel is really the only thing it could be. Find a wooden dowel that freely but barely fits into the bore. It should slide without resistance from the muzzle to the breech. If it binds along the way the barrel is bent. Or and much less likely, the barrel is cross threaded into the receiver somehow.

Comment

• ceresco
          • Oct 2009

Interesting situation.... a wooden dowel isn't exactly a precision gauge. I would be more comfortable with a selected rod from a Harbor Freight set of alignment rods if I didn't have the proper ordinance straightness gauge . Good Shooting. ...

Comment

• milprileb
            • Oct 2009

Well...try all your remedies but if nothing sorts out ...Chuck In Denver is who I'd contact and have him sort it out.

No offense but here you are and it could be something you are not trained to sort out. No shame in that

Comment

• krdomingue
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by milprileb View Post
              Well...try all your remedies but if nothing sorts out ...Chuck In Denver is who I'd contact and have him sort it out.

No offense but here you are and it could be something you are not trained to sort out. No shame in that

I have been through the Advance Maintenance Course and don't consider myself a complete novice, but I wouldn't be asking for advise if I thought I knew it all, so no offense taken.

Comment

• Vos Parate
                • Oct 2009

Have you tried a different operating rod?
                Never slap a man while he is chewing tobacco.
                Vos Parate Feedback Thread

Comment

• krdomingue
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Vos Parate View Post
                  Have you tried a different operating rod?
                  Several.

Comment

• glindes
                    • Mar 2014

Is the rear handguard installed, that is, is the lower band on backwards for this test by any chance?

Comment

• krdomingue
                      • Nov 2015

I have done it both ways, but no the lower band is not backwards. The pin will only if it is in the right direction. A good thought though.

Comment

• LavaTech
                        • Oct 2009

If you had radius or V-blocks, a dial indicator and hydraulic press it'd take all of 2-3 minutes to check and/or straighten the barrel by indicator alone. It is really simple to do. It's just a tool shortage problem!
                        Appleseed Project: Where marksmanship meets history and the heritage begins.
                        Revolutionary War Veterans Association http://www.appleseedinfo.org/
                        Paying Tribute To April 19, 1775 Through Awareness, Learning & Marksmanship.

Comment

• krdomingue
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LavaTech View Post
                          If you had radius or V-blocks, a dial indicator and hydraulic press it'd take all of 2-3 minutes to check and/or straighten the barrel by indicator alone. It is really simple to do. It's just a tool shortage problem!
                          Sounds simple enough, but not one I would try on my own. Tools or no tools.

Comment

• rekkert
                            • Oct 2009

you can check barrel alignment with 2 3/8th rods like the CMP does,
                            remove front and rear sights then balance the rods like at 19:43 in the vid
                            check the alingnment from front to rear
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pxH...ature=youtu.be

Comment

• lapriester
                              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by rekkert View Post
                              you can check barrel alignment with 2 3/8th rods like the CMP does,
                              remove front and rear sights then balance the rods like at 19:43 in the vid
                              check the alingnment from front to rear
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pxH...ature=youtu.be
                              It would drag on the side of the band if incorrectly indexed. The OP indicated that's not the case.

Comment

Working...
                              X