View Single Post
  #24  
Old 11-21-2020, 08:24 PM
ARFrog ARFrog is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 39
Default

I finally got back to this project of adding an Ultimak rail and red-dot reflexive sight to my IBM M1 carbine. I had to wait a few weeks for product availability and now report the following:

First, here is a link to some photos:

https://imgur.com/a/hrG7XRw

The product installs easily to the barrel. Personally, I did not have to do any modifications to the wood in the stock barrel channel. Note: the instructions state that "blue locktite" is not necessary. However, I found that after sighting in and shooting 30 rounds or so, the rail screws came loose and the rail started to shimmy.

I elected to put an A3T Tactical red-dot/reflexive sight along with a Viking Tactics LPM QD attachment on the Ultimak rail. Currently, I am planning to make a shorten version of the Viking Tactics MK1 sling and think I will have a QD attachment at the Ultimak rail and also at the sling cut with use of a Blue Force Gear Molded UWL:

https://www.blueforcegear.com/molded-uwl

coming off the oilier. I am still debating on if I will need to put a rubberized coating on the QDs, etc to reduce any stock maring.

The installed components do not greatly effect the balance of the rifle, which was comfortable to shoot.

I sighted the red-dot in with about 3 - 3 round groups at 25 yds using a range bag as a rest. I then shot a 7 round set with the results shown in the photos above. I adjusted one more time and then switched targets and shot another 13 round set to "prove the concept" of using a red dot with my "old eyes.".

My next step was to take it out to a 100 yard target and at this point things fell apart. I shot two strings of 3 or 4 rounds with the first one high and to the right and the second one quite literally all over the target. It was at this point that I noticed the Ultimak rail had become loose/wobbly and stopped shooting.

Once home I have put blue locktite on the screws and tighten everything back down. I will re-sight-in and try the 100 yd target again at my next range time.

Finally, the red-dot worked really well for me and my old eyes. I could see the dot and the target (with both eyes open) much easier than with just flip/iron sights. I did not notice a heat issue on the rail and except for the rail loosing up thought the experience was a good one. Regarding red-dots, the A3T sight gives a lot of visible area without interference from a more rounded can type sight. The only thing that I might like to try differently is to use a sight with the circle with the dot in the middle to bracket the target at distance - not sure if this would be a help or hindrance.

Bottom line is that I think with a little more effort and range time this change will be really effective for me. For me personally it will simplify distance shooting and may also be a better home defense option.

Disclaimer - to those purists who gag at the thought of changing an "as-issued" carbine, please be advised that all necessary changes needed by the Ultimak rail can be removed and returned to GI spec in mere minutes.

Last edited by ARFrog; 05-16-2021 at 12:56 AM.
Reply With Quote