View Single Post
Old 05-14-2021, 10:32 PM

I would agree that NO Springfield fancier's Library is complete without Crossman's
"Book of the Springfield" as well as "Military and Sporting Rifle Shooting".
How is ANY book on shooting a rifle well "dated". Has something about the '03 - or the Mark I Human Being - changed significantly since the 1920's?

Quite the contrary - when the Bolt Action Military Rifle was indeed the "Queen of Battle" they knew one Hell of a Lot more about shooting them than we do today - because it was damn important to National Security - and most men prior to the 1960s knew something about shooting.

I think we are guilty of assuming newer is always better - and that is Definitely not a general truth in literature of all kinds - and in many areas our actual knowledge and ability has decreased, markedly. Most modern gun scribes pale when held up against people of Crossman's credentials.
The gunwriters of old usually had actually tested what they wrote about - instead of an "unboxing" account or a YouTube video by some Nimrod being presented as an informed opinion.

The firing tables and wealth of information in Crossman's books is not to be found anywhere else - it is aimed at the Springfield while it was still THE US Service Arm - and a popular sporting rifle.

Brophy is still the best single industrial History/Catalog of everything Springfield, Campbell is aimed more at the general or sport shooter and the care and feeding of the Springfield in Civilian ownership.

If you are going to "do Springfields" as a long term project you need Brophy, the last Campbell book and both of the above listed Crossman books.

And the Crossman books are much more inexpensive on eBay than the others - as most people have not discovered his fine detail - and readable, and often humorous, Style. CC