X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • broomhandle
    • Feb 2016

Hi Normanclature,

I don't think anyone make long's any more. I have not seen them on sale in years, think I have a full box of 50 out in the garage.

Just clean the chamber well as more powder residue will build up if you shoot a bunch of them. As edlmann's well written post mentioned. Just like a 38 Special bullet in a 357 revolver. It's been a while since I fired any 22 shorts. The older rifles were made to shoot shorts longs & Long rifle mixed in a tube mag.
    You will not damage the chamber unless your fire thousands of them. The powder charge is light.

Enjoy it,
    broom

Comment

• navyrifleman
      • Oct 2009

I can remember back when Shorts, Longs, and Long Rifle .22's were all available at any local hardware store. The prices were something like: 50 cents, 55 cents, and 60 cents respectively.

As a kid, I would often go for the shorts because they were the least expensive. That was back when you tried to make every dollar go as far as possible. In fact, you would be lucky to have as much as a whole dollar in your pocket!

I have only seen long rifle .22's for sale in the past 30 or more years.

These days, my favorite brand is Federal Long Rifle hollow points, which seem to work well in all of my .22's.
      Last edited by navyrifleman; 09-25-2021, 09:16 AM.

Comment

• nate
        • Feb 2010

Midway lists 22 longs for sale by cci and they say mixed availability and by Winchester saying coming soon so they appear to be out there for sale..

Comment

• ZvenoMan
          • May 2011

Originally posted by broomhandle View Post
          Hi Fellows,

I took my warped -TRIGGER- guard off & put it in hot water till it softened up a bit had to do it three or four times to get the feel for it!
          It finally snapped in place with a two or three clamps & the original screws. Have some one handy because you need four hands!
          It still fits correctly eight years later. If your breaks Havlin is there as a back up! Knowing there was a "backup" allowed me to give it a try!

Good LUCK,
          broom
          I did that too. Worked great. About a week later it disintegrated!
          Called Mr. Havelin and all is well.

They aren't hard to fit. Mossberg used 3 or 4 variations of this triggerguard, the difference (on other Mossberg models) is in the length and shape of the end below/aft of the trigger. Instead of the expense to make 4 or so different models , Mr. Havelin made one, the largest so it fits all, you just need to trim the tail end. 30 minutes with hand tools, 5 in a well equipped shop.

These are great little rifles and a bit of oil and polish makes them stand out at the range.
          JH
          Zvenoman

Comment

• broomhandle
            • Feb 2016

Hello All,

A little off topic but it has merit! PSA / Palmetto arms has various types of 22 ammo & many other calibers too in stock. On the Buy of the Day section of their website! Some items have free shipping!

I ordered two bricks of the CCI blue box TARGET standard velocity 22 ammo.
            40 grain lead round nose 1070 fps They were shipped to me in one working day! Prices were higher then in the past but I HAVE them for future use

Older shooters told the older rifles were made for and will preform better with the standard rounds. So I bought some when I can find them. In my actual practice at the ranges I shoot 25/50 &100 yards I really have not seen much difference. I'm usually the weak link!

Enjoy EVERY day!
            broom
            Last edited by broomhandle; 09-26-2021, 10:02 PM.

Comment

• broomhandle
              • Feb 2016

Hi Zevnoman,

Sorry it did not work for you! I'm hoping the Havlin's will be active for a few more years ! Good People a pleasure to talk to, I met them at a few SHOT shows!

I wonder if someone has ever tried to make a trigger guard using a laser printer? I have seen some nice stuff done that way. I have no idea of how it works or the cost of a machine to do it!

Take care,
              broom

Comment

• ZvenoMan
                • May 2011

Broom, I think you mean 3D printer.
                Of course it will work; the material used by the printer will make all the difference.
                A low end machine may be had in the $150 and up range. Supplies are a significant cost, of course.
                These are not like plugging in headphones, there is a learning curve to printing form a file.
                And if you don't have a file (I doubt there is a "Mossberg M44 Triggerguard file available) then you must design the part, another, completely separate learning curve.

So, if you need one, buy it from Mr. Havelin. If you are already into 3D printing this could be an entertaining project. But you would need to sell a bunch to simply pay for the time designing, test printing, redoing, and finally making them.
                Like taking a drill rifle and restoring it to a shooter, you don't do it for the profit (-$200 plus or minus), but the journey.
                Here's an interesting read about a guy making a mag for a rimfire.
                https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...ighlight=print
                Clearly more complex than a Mossberg triggerguard but it shows the process, and he already had the printer, the CAD software, and the skill.
                It's a few years old; he used a filament printer. Today resin printers are gaining traction, and allow for more choices in material to address structural needs. But, while some manufacturing entities have printers that use various metals (I'm sure those machines are 6-figures) they aren't common.
                It won't be long where you can 3D scan an item and enter how many copies you want. A bit longer before it's available at an effective price to the masses.

I didn't expect much from trying to fix mine. The material used to make them seems to have suffered mostly form time. If I recall many of the "new" M44s CMP sold had broken triggerguards. There are millions of types of plastics, some just deteriorate over time.
                Last edited by ZvenoMan; 09-26-2021, 04:15 PM.
                Zvenoman

Comment

• broomhandle
                  • Feb 2016

Hi ZvenoMan,

Your correct, I meant a 3D printer! I'm not a computer or technology person as you can tell! I'm happy with the talents I have.

A local fellow made me a holder for my Colt 1911,that has a raised surface that fits the Mag well! & a place for eight bullets. Which just happens to balance the pistol well on the stand!
                  He is not a computer guy, so he must have a file to make it up. He mentioned the unit was a entry level machine. It's done very well!
                  I'm still having issues with basic computers & Cell phones that are much smarter then I am! I don't think I'll be buying one soon.
                  Pulled out my Mossberg M 44, the trigger guard is still in good shape!

I enjoy all your posts,
                  broom

Comment

• ZvenoMan
                    • May 2011

Thanks Mr. Broomhandle!
                    These old Mossbergs are a lot of fun for the money.
                    JH
                    Zvenoman

Comment

• broomhandle
                      • Feb 2016

Hi ZvenoMan,

One day I have to take the M44 out with the H&R M-12 on a head to head competition. The H&R has a better trigger by a mile, but that Mossburg held it's own against them years ago!

Take care out there,
                      broom

Comment

• chief jeff
                        • Oct 2011

Grandson and I shot m-44 today. Having issue with ejecting all but last round in mag. Saftey I think is not working properly. put on safe pull tigger, when move off safe fires. Sighted in fine. Was using SK standard plus ammo years old. think I need to complete disassemble and detail clean, hopefully find issues. Trigger guard is very shrunken. May just have to call Havlins on Monday or Tuesday.

Comment

• broomhandle
                          • Feb 2016

Hello Chief Jeff,

Lots of good info here te M-44 and at Rimfire central too Mossburg section of board
                          I hope it get it up & working so your grandson can use it with his grandson!

Enjoy everyday,
                          broom

Comment

Working...
                          X