View Single Post
Old 10-11-2020, 12:36 AM

I had owned an 03 Springfield, but had not heard of High Power matches nor the CMP Games matches until 2007. I was working in Dothan, Al and had joined a range. An old guy there, a vet and range officer, taught me how to use the M1907 sling. I was surprised how slinging up tight lessened felt recoil. I fired a few matches at that club and decided to make the trek to Camp Perry, that year. I didn't do all that well, but I fired the Springfield match, bought my first M1 Garand and fired in that match and I had borrowed an AR15 to fire in the Individual and the President's match. Firing and getting match experience was the goal of that trip. I had a blast. So, people, sling up that rifle and get "X"s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Colt View Post
It is my experience that so far none of the young people I have met have had the benefit of shooting Service Rifle with a real, wood and steel rifle and the shooting sling - and have to "feel their way along"! It's a shame they haven't had enough REAL Rifle training.

I was lucky - Uncle Sam was still supplying the DCM Rifle Clubs around the US with ammo and rifles when I was about twelve back in the '60's, and an old USMC Instructor taught me how to hold, shoot, use a sling, positions, the works. I used an M2 Springfield and DCM brown box ammo at the 50 foot indoor range in Independence, MO., and later a NM M1 at the State Championships at Fort Riley, KS.

Each one Teach One - all the younger generation needs is some good instruction !

PS - Here's another Hi Lux video on the new USMC Mounts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gZub5yqHbY