Thread: Leather sling
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2021, 01:14 PM

Default slings and hooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Rifleman View Post
I just got a Ron Brown sling from Creedmoor for my new M1. Extremely pleased with the craftsmanship. I’m used to shooting with the web sling on my M1A, so this is new, slightly more complicated territory. Seems to be a lot of conflicting info on the YouTube videos I’ve watched on how to attach it properly. Why do a lot of guys put the frogs on the inside? Weren’t they designed to be on the outside, as to not mar the rifle (or the rifleman’s shoulder when using as a carry strap)?
There are several different ways to rig M1907's, the "infantry carry" rig being standard. No idea whether this was planned or just happened, albeit I do note B.A.R. men in particular often had their three-hook units set up with the sharp edges of the hooks away from their arms. Another detail many folks miss: Most of those used in the field by infantry were radiused/edge softened--that is, the sharp edges of the "hooks" or "frogs" were rounded or smoothed. MILSCO seems to have done that at the factory, or at least they were pretty uniform. Reason: left sharp, they cut.

My uncle, who was with 101st airborne, rigged his BACKWARDS and had snap pads to go over the hooks made for him in England.

Last edited by jimthompson502002; 03-07-2021 at 01:21 PM.