Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • petera
    • Oct 2009

The best high power rifle I shot was an M14 built by Hook Boutin when I was with an Army AMTU team. No, I will not engage in inter service rivalry here.

Comment

• Mark1
      • Oct 2009

Nice dream and I would like one also. But with the incoming administration and their views on guns it will not happen. I just hope the CMP gets the other(s) allotment of 1911's.

Comment

• Danny
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by HoosierBuddy View Post
        Hey guys,

Imagine a world where legislation (similar to the 1911 legislation a few years ago) would direct the Department of Defense to start shipping the 80,000 or so M14's in surplus inventory to the CMP.

Imagine the same world where the CMP would be authorized to reintroduce foreign (US sold/donated) M14's back into the US (similar to the Philippine Garand's they recently brought back).

OK...now that we have the fantasy steps out of the way that will never happen, let's get onto the practical issues.

1. They'd have to be converted to semi-automatic fire only.
        2. CMP would have to run a lottery like they did for the 1911
        3. Prices would be high. Like the 1911 likely high enough we'd all have to take a deep breath before putting it on a credit card.
        4. Auction Prices for higher grade rifles would make the "high price" in 3. above seem trivial.

Yeah...it's just a dream...but...you know....so was the whole 1911 thing a few years ago.

Put me down for one.

Phil
        Not going to happen.....EVER. Same odld dream/topic, same unfortunate reality.

Comment

• Danny
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Mark1 View Post
          Nice dream and I would like one also. But with the incoming administration and their views on guns it will not happen. I just hope the CMP gets the other(s) allotment of 1911's.
          This has nothing to do with the incoming administration.

Comment

• Mark1
            • Oct 2009

The National Defense Authorization Act must approve the sale of Government firearms. As they did for the 1911's to the CMP. And the NDA is a Government agency. So yes the incoming administration can effect the sale(s). Just as the Obama administration killed the sale/purchase of the South Korean Garands and carbines.

Comment

• Danny
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Mark1 View Post
              The National Defense Authorization Act must approve the sale of Government firearms. As they did for the 1911's to the CMP. And the NDA is a Government agency. So yes the incoming administration can effect the sale(s). Just as the Obama administration killed the sale/purchase of the South Korean Garands and carbines.
              It's not possible now, nor was it before now, so the incoming administration has no effect on this.

Comment

• cdj7097
                • Apr 2010

If you cut off the auto lug you have an M14/M1A. Which shows the agenda of denying the public more rifles. The "once rule" really shows the stupidity of the ruling. That lug and another small cut on the receiver as we all know is the only thing that seperates the M1A from the M14, with exception of course of the dangerous receiver markings.

Comment

• krdomingue
                  • Nov 2015

The CMP sold M14 parts kits way back when made up from decommissioned M14s, but that is no longer possible. The current practice/policy(law?) is to destroy every functional part of any automatic rifle, so nothing is left but scrap.

Comment

• KH223
                    • Feb 2020

Originally posted by krdomingue View Post
                    The CMP sold M14 parts kits way back when made up from decommissioned M14s, but that is no longer possible. The current practice/policy(law?) is to destroy every functional part of any automatic rifle, so nothing is left but scrap.
                    Your tax dollars at work..........they could make more money on them, but choose to destroy the parts.............really dumb

Comment

• Gewehr43
                      • Nov 2009

Your source for the comment?
                      What policy or law are you referring to?
                      Service Rifle.... RIP .... 1884-2015

Comment

• krdomingue
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Gewehr43 View Post
                        Your source for the comment?
                        What policy or law are you referring to?
                        There was/is a youtube video of the destruction process (captain Crunch), and in it was explained that they were required to make sure each part was destroyed. Even showed them combing through the destroyed weapons looking for parts that still needed destruction and then taking a blowtorch to them. I can't find the video, but here is a link to the article tied to it:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...ating-machine/

Comment

• Gewehr43
                          • Nov 2009

There was/is a youtube video of the destruction process (captain Crunch), and in it was explained that they were required to make sure each part was destroyed. Even showed them combing through the destroyed weapons looking for parts that still needed destruction and then taking a blowtorch to them. I can't find the video, but here is a link to the article tied to it:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...ating-machine/
                          Oh ..... the article you linked was from 2016 and the imbedded video from 2007...........

But the problem with assuming what they are or aren't destroying now is that:

-there were Govt orders to stop the destruction of M1, M1911's etc.
                          -The M14 began to be retrofitted and used again by the Military beginning in the early 2000's and were used up until the 2014 timeframe........

So whatever weapons they are destroying now are not those.......
                          ie the parts shown in the picture look like M16A1 parts.........

Not mention, as the photo shows, the parts/rifles, whatever, maynot be serviceable anyways.
                          Anniston is a HUGE arsenal rebuilding/retrofitting ALL sorts of weapon/systems.....
                          So they maybe destroying unserviceable parts........
                          Last edited by Gewehr43; 02-03-2021, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• jeeperbob
                            • Oct 2009

Is it a dream? Look deep into my eyes, you're getting sleepy, sleepy, sleepy.
                            The Early Bird Gets the Worm but the Second Mouse Gets the Cheese!

Comment

• krdomingue
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Gewehr43 View Post
                              Oh ..... the article you linked was from 2016 and the imbedded video from 2007...........

But the problem with assuming what they are or aren't destroying now is that:

-there were Govt orders to stop the destruction of M1, M1911's etc.
                              -The M14 began to be retrofitted and used again by the Military beginning in the early 2000's and were used up until the 2014 timeframe........

So whatever weapons they are destroying now are not those.......
                              ie the parts shown in the picture look like M16A1 parts.........

Not mention, as the photo shows, the parts/rifles, whatever, maynot be serviceable anyways.
                              Anniston is a HUGE arsenal rebuilding/retrofitting ALL sorts of weapon/systems.....
                              So they maybe destroying unserviceable parts........
                              True a little dated, but my response was limited to Automatic weapons. 1911s are not in question. While I can't sight you a source, because I don't care enough to go to the trouble, I am pretty sure the government stance on surplus automatic weapons has not changed.

Comment

• Gewehr43
                                • Nov 2009

True a little dated, but my response was limited to Automatic weapons. 1911s are not in question. While I can't sight you a source, because I don't care enough to go to the trouble, I am pretty sure the government stance on surplus automatic weapons has not changed.
                                Oh, I thought this thread was about M14's......
                                Nevermind then.

Comment

Working...
                                X