X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HenryPatrick
    • Mar 2010

Well I will post some pictures later. But I received two saginaws, regular sg's. I traded one of those, actually the nicer one, for an IBM. I had Inland and Quality slides, tried trading, ended up buying a AOB slide. I had two austrian marked trigger housing's and sold those. I have an Inland bolt, ordered a SB round bolt, and a sg flat. Traded for a sg trigger. I put a type 2 repo barrel band on the sg, and replacement ria front sight. The stocks I have are a "J" marked stock, which I understand to be a WW2 replacement stock and a SA stock, so I am going with the replacement stock theme. The sg has a saginaw barrel, no date. The Ibm has a Ibm barrel, no date. Pictures to follow.

Comment

• hammonje
      Banned
      • Feb 2010

I hope we have more barreled receivers being built up than this. Sure some are still getting the parts together and such.

I would really like to see what they turned out like. Accuracy reports included if possible. Mine shoots like a dream. A barrel that guages near new doesn't hurt, but some other factors involved.

What I have learned from some investigation, is that reducing the trigger pull by replacing the trigger spring really improves the accuracy with the carbine. I go around gun shows searching for weak springs. Go figure....

I am always dismayed by the fact that no one has determined any real means of improving carbine accuracy at 100 yards.

Here is my weak attempt at investigating trigger pulls in the carbine. I wanted to make the trigger pull less on a particular rifle. Weighed in at almoist 9 lbs. Ouch. Went around and found one carbine that had a trigger pull of 5 lbs. Swapped the parts one by one to attempt to find source of lighter pull. Swapping the trigger spring alone reduced the pull to 6.2 lbs. The addition of a new hammer spring actually increased trigger pull weight. Rest of trigger pull was reduced by stoning contact points lightly. Just enough to remove park. Got it down to 5.5 lbs from 9.0 lbs.

Accuracy across the board was improved. Score improvement at next match was 25 points.

I know I throw random stuff sometimes....

Comment

• HenryPatrick
        • Mar 2010

Here's some pictures, come on guys post your photos. We need something to compete with those Winchester SG's on the garand pages.
        http://s1041.photobucket.com/albums/...trick2010/brs/

Comment

• HenryPatrick
          • Mar 2010

I had the sg put together, took it apart to make it more sg, LOL what we won't do. It's all for fun, so what the heck. So the weaker springs are better for accuracy, or the other way around?

Comment

• G26ster
            • Aug 2010

Here is my QHMC barreled receiver in a repro M1A1 stock. The stock metal has been parked, and correct leather and rivets installed. Initially I put mostly mixmaster parts in it to get it shooting, but have since made it 95% QHMC correct parts except for the type IV mag catch, to better support 30 rd mags, and the barrel band is also a cut down type III. Future plans call for putting it in a Q-RMC stock (when I find one), and if I ever can find a late Inland b/r I will put that in the M1A1 stock.

Comment

• J.R.2009
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by HenryPatrick View Post
              I had the sg put together, took it apart to make it more sg, LOL what we won't do. It's all for fun, so what the heck. So the weaker springs are better for accuracy, or the other way around?

Be careful with "weaker" springs. Needless to say you sure don't want a weaker recoil spring. A weaker trigger spring is OK but I have my doubts about the hammer spring being weaker. Don't think I'd go that route. Keep in mine the recoil AND hammer springs are both part of the cycle speed on the whole system.
              Think I'd stay stock with every spring except the trigger spring.
              IMHO.
              J.R.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index [email protected]
              I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
              http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
              Gun Owners of SC
              GCA

Comment

• hammonje
                Banned
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by J.R.2009 View Post
                Be careful with "weaker" springs. Needless to say you sure don't want a weaker recoil spring. A weaker trigger spring is OK but I have my doubts about the hammer spring being weaker. Don't think I'd go that route. Keep in mine the recoil AND hammer springs are both part of the cycle speed on the whole system.
                Think I'd stay stock with every spring except the trigger spring.
                IMHO.
                Absolutely correct. Recoil and hammer springs are NOS USGI from Orion 7. I was only speaking of the trigger spring. It is responsible for the majority of the trigger pull weight that is capable of being changed. You can hit your target much easier with a lower pull weight.

Most of my 20+ USGI carbines had a trigger pull weight in the 7.0 lb range. Getting them down to 5.0 - 5.5 lbs. is an enormous difference. Also, stoning the contact points of the sear and hammer, the side of the TH where the trigger moves....this removes the creep and provides for a smooth trigger pull. The sum is much better groups indeed.

Comment

• J.R.2009
                  • Oct 2009

B-3-6, go to the "How To" forum and it will walk you through the pic posting deal.
                  J.R.

I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.

Gun Owners of SC
                  GCA

Comment

• andyman
                    • May 2010

Reserving a spot for my SG and Standard Products Carbines when they are complete. I will try to get some build process pics up as well.

Andy

Comment

• J.R.2009
                      • Oct 2009

Spot reserved. Start the pics and info.
                      J.R.

Gun Owners of SC
                      GCA

Comment

• TwoGunChuck
                        • Jan 2010

Winchester and Inland. This is what they looked like when they came.

Completed the Inland with an NPM trigger housing I had lying around (mixed internal parts, mainly Inland). Used an Inland type 4 slide and round OI bolt. Stock is an Underwood stock that came with a service grade carbine I got a couple years ago, for which I had the right stock so had this one lying around. Replaced the barrel band ($15), since the one that came on the BR had stripped threads. Also bought a USGI oiler ($13). Had the sling already. Had the Ultimak mount and Nikon scope. (Which I don't recommend -- a Leupold scout scope is much better.)

For the Winchester, bought an RIA front sight, key and pin, total $38, and a USGI oiler ($13). Had all the other parts lying around (SG trigger housing completed with mainly Inland and Underwood parts, Inland type 4 slide, postwar U round bolt, type 3 barrel band, I.R. Co. rear sight. The repro paratrooper stock is one I got from Sportsman's guide a few years ago and was not using.

These are the completed carbines:

Both headspaced, close on go gauge and will not close on no-go gauge. Both are totally reliable and shoot well.

So completing these did not cost much. Except that after doing it I spent about $200 replenishing my spare parts supply. (mainly for a spare bolt, front sight and trigger housing parts.)

Comment

• AZTrooper110
                          • Mar 2010

I just finished my Inland BR from parts, cost about $500.00 total. I had a lot of fun with my first build from scratch. (and probably my last, with the price of B/Rs going through the roof.) Lets see those BR photos!

Apex Gun Parts Complete Trigger Group $90.00
                          Carbine Slide - Copes Distributing $39.00
                          Bolt Complete - CMP Member $60.00
                          BR CMP $$125.00
                          Carbine Stock Ebay $29.00
                          Misc Small Parts - Fulton Armory $45.00
                          Handguard and metal - What-a-Country $47.00
                          Rear sight - Front Sight - Recoil Plate - CMP Mozzer $67.00

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5106959_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5240351_n.jpg
                          <!-- / message -->
                          August 1943 SA - The Garand bug has got me!

Comment

• andyman
                            • May 2010

Originally posted by J.R.2009 View Post
                            Spot reserved. Start the pics and info.

Haha, give me time! Trying to juggle a 4.0, Freshman Midterms and Carbine addiction is not easy! I assembled my Apex TG today. Pics (hopefully) by Sunday of the build process. Still waiting on my stock to get here from home in AZ.

Andy

Comment

• J.R.2009
                              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by andyman View Post
                              Haha, give me time! Trying to juggle a 4.0, Freshman Midterms and Carbine addiction is not easy! I assembled my Apex TG today. Pics (hopefully) by Sunday of the build process. Still waiting on my stock to get here from home in AZ.

Andy
                              HEY, what's more important, bringing these little carbines back to life or getting an ED-U-CA-TION?
                              Put them books down and start building that carbine.
                              J.R.

Gun Owners of SC
                              GCA

Comment

• Warden
                                • Dec 2009

Allright, I'll post mine. It is a 1.7 million Rock-Ola with undated Rock-Ola barrel. I restored all the way back to 100&#37; Rock-ola.

https://<a href="http://s849.photobu...tobucket"></a>

https://<a href="http://s849.photobu...tobucket"></a>
                                Last edited by Warden; 10-29-2010, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X