X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • USriflecal30
    • Dec 2017

Saved a M1903A3!

Also posted the full story over in the smallbore area, but this past week I was given the chance to save an M1903A3 (and M1922) from the historical sporter scrap heap. The original purchaser was a WWII vet and he bought this through DCM/NRA in 1958. It's hadn't left Anniston in probably 70 years.

I'm happy to report the rifles came home with me and we'll work on cleaning them up, doing the maintenance, and getting them back shooting. I'll be selling the 03A3 once I get the wood and a couple metal parts to get it back to mil-spec (barrel/receiver are unmolested). The owner also has a Mauser 1910 (man, it's really a beauty) he'd like to sell, so if you are interested shoot me a PM please and let me know what you think and if you are interested.

Master of Wood and Steel
    GCA Master Marksman #3
  • snowbound
    • Jan 2017

Fantastic find, story and photos. Found a similar 1917 sporter last year. Just had to drop into a stock. Buddy gave me a very nice straight stock off his CMP 03a3. Now looking for an occupant like yours. He put on a new production C stock. Ugh! A matching K98 showed up this week. Sportorized same as yours. We figure it would be an expensive restoration.

Comment

• USriflecal30
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by snowbound View Post
      Fantastic find, story and photos. Found a similar 1917 sporter last year. Just had to drop into a stock. Buddy gave me a very nice straight stock off his CMP 03a3. Now looking for an occupant like yours. He put on a new production C stock. Ugh! A matching K98 showed up this week. Sportorized same as yours. We figure it would be an expensive restoration.
      Feels good to put them back to "right" huh?
      Master of Wood and Steel
      GCA Master Marksman #3

Comment

• Glynn863
        • Nov 2009

I "rescued" a Remington M1903A3 off of GB back in 2015. Luckily, it had only had the stock shortened like the OP's. I already had an extra stock, and only had to get an upper handguard, the front band, and stacking swivel band to finish it.

Then, about a month later, I found another Remington M1903A3 on Facebook marketplace, that had been blued, scope, custom stock, etc. The seller sent me some photos. "M1903-A3" was on the far left of the receiver. Yep, a sporterized M1903A4. I "rescued" it as well. Luckily it still had the original bolt and scope mount, and after about a year of getting the correct parts (including a new NOS WW2 barrel), I had CMP Custom Shop help me with the restoration. They did outstanding work, so I highly recommend them.

Good job on your "rescue"!

Comment

• Calfed
          • Dec 2009

Keep us up to date. I've got an O3 A3 and a coup!e of 1917 restorables that I need to get to work on

Comment

• tmark
            • Oct 2010

Beautiful firearms! Great pics!

Comment

• USriflecal30
              • Dec 2017

OK fellow members, I was able to get a stock and a couple of bands from a friend (she's looking good!), but I'm still missing some parts. If you have any of the following available please let me know.

At a minimum I need a handguard. A NOS handguard would probably match this stock very nicely, but just let me know what you have in a PM. I found blued butt plate (NOS) and upper band and screw, so still looking for stacking swivel band assy (blue R or RS since everything else is...).

Thanks.

Last edited by USriflecal30; 11-27-2021, 05:29 AM.
              Master of Wood and Steel
              GCA Master Marksman #3

Comment

• USriflecal30
                • Dec 2017

Final update. Found new hand guard and all NOS Remington blued parts, butt plate and bands. So significant upgrade from sporter! She's staying with me for the next decade or two. Couldn't part with it, should be a great match gun, and it has a double digit "22" in the serial number (I have an odd affinity for weapons with double and triple digits in the serials), my birthday, so must be fate.

Looks like her first match will be the Western Games in March (we are going on vacation, but my wife was willing to let me shoot 4 GSMM matches one day!).

Last edited by USriflecal30; 12-16-2021, 07:50 AM.
                Master of Wood and Steel
                GCA Master Marksman #3

Comment

• bruce
                  • Nov 2009

Wonderful post and thread! Glad you were able to find and buy such a nice rifle ... and then get it back to GI condition! Have done a few over the years ... lots of fun. Sincerely. bruce.
                  <><

Comment

• FTL
                    • Mar 2021

Looks fantastic!! Did you clean up the stock, it’s beautiful!!

Comment

• BuddyBGood
                      • Jan 2011

Good job,well done.

Comment

• USriflecal30
                        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by FTL View Post
                        Looks fantastic!! Did you clean up the stock, it’s beautiful!!

Only put a little tung oil on it. It’s a CMP rifle take off from a friend.
                        Last edited by USriflecal30; 12-17-2021, 04:16 AM.
                        Master of Wood and Steel
                        GCA Master Marksman #3

Comment

• tmark
                          • Oct 2010

Congratulations!

Comment

Working...
                          X