X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beeks
    • Sep 2014

AR Service rifle?

The rules clearly state that adjustable gas blocks are not permitted. What about adjustable gas tubes or an adjustable gas key? My AR is over gassed. I’m looking for options.
  • Gewehr43
    • Nov 2009

I'm of the approach that when I shoot competitions I don't any sort of equipment challenges...…. that said...……. I wouldn't use those either.

Why don't you fix the root problem here and sort out why your rifle is over gassed?
    Last edited by Gewehr43; 04-08-2020, 10:57 AM.
    Service Rifle.... RIP .... 1884-2015

Comment

• la Fiere
      • Oct 2009

Heavier buffer?

Comment

• Beeks
        • Sep 2014

I’ve shot this rifle two seasons now. After the first season the rubber stopper on the buffer was completely destroyed. I replaced it with an H2 buffer. Very minimal improvement there. The brass gets sooty.

So how do I figure out why my rifle is over gassed?

The barrel is a Bushmaster DCM that was purchased new at Camp Perry a few years ago. I verified that the buffer spring is correct.

Comment

• Gewehr43
          • Nov 2009

You bought just the barrel there or?
          What I'm getting at is there a way the rifle is still under a warranty and simply send it back to the maker?

Comment

• cranehunter
            • Oct 2011

Look at your ammo first.

Comment

• Beeks
              • Sep 2014

I built the rifle myself. Just the barrel was purchased from Perry. A few people I shoot with are using the same barrels with good results. I’ve tried a variety of handloads as well as complete ammo including Federal Gold Medal Match. I have not noticed any difference with ammo selection.

Comment

• Gewehr43
                • Nov 2009

Ok... you built it yourself...…
                Which Armorers course did you take prior to the build?
                Where did you get the other parts for the build?

With the factory ammo what exacting happens and how did you figure out what/how the damage occurred?
                What I'm asking is a detailed explanation as to what happened...

Comment

• Beeks
                  • Sep 2014

I didn’t take a course. I just read a book. I don’t recall the name any more. The other parts were all purchased new from a variety of places. PSA bcg, la rue quad rail, Ergo f93 stock, Geissel trigger, etc.

The rifle throws brass twice as far as the rifles I shoot against. The brass comes out sooty like it’s being extracted before the pressure in the barrel is completely gone. After the first season I stripped down the rifle and found the rubber end of the buffer destroyed.

Comment

• 4gun-drill
                    • Oct 2009

What’s does it headspace at?

Comment

• Gewehr43
                      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Beeks View Post
                      I didn’t take a course. I just read a book. I don’t recall the name any more. The other parts were all purchased new from a variety of places. PSA bcg, la rue quad rail, Ergo f93 stock, Geissel trigger, etc.

The rifle throws brass twice as far as the rifles I shoot against. The brass comes out sooty like it’s being extracted before the pressure in the barrel is completely gone. After the first season I stripped down the rifle and found the rubber end of the buffer destroyed.
                      Ok..... this is just my 2% because you have so much different stuff going on there.
                      Ok so you replaced the buffer since it was gone, did you replace the buffer spring as well??
                      The problem here is just by your description you are describing opposite things:
                      -I've never seen a buffer end gone like that but you have a misc part grouping so the quality may not have been there.
                      -Depending on what you mean by "soot" on the case, that usually indicates LOW chamber pressure.
                      -Where the cases are ejected is more what people discuss, not how far.... but I can see why it's concerning...….

Is there a local AR Gunsmith you trust to look at it???
                      There seems to be multiple issues going on maybe...….

And this happens with FACTORY ammo?
                      Last edited by Gewehr43; 04-09-2020, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• canes7
                        • Oct 2009

The interesting part to me is the destroyed rubber on the original buffer. Makes me call into question the spring and buffer type (i.e. - rifle vs. carbine) and quality of the spring. I have a hard time believing that with standard HP loads and factory ammo being fired thru a rifle with a standard gas system would be overgassed.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Dan W.
                        CMP GSM Master Instructor
                        CMP HP Master
                        DR#2474 (2019) 1/2 with irons, 1/2 with optics

Comment

• Gewehr43
                          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by canes7 View Post
                          The interesting part to me is the destroyed rubber on the original buffer. Makes me call into question the spring and buffer type (i.e. - rifle vs. carbine) and quality of the spring. I have a hard time believing that with standard HP loads and factory ammo being fired thru a rifle with a standard gas system would be overgassed.
                          Yes.... which is why I asked about the source of the rifle/parts.

Even with full-auto I've not seen that before.

Comment

• Beeks
                            • Sep 2014

Headspace is good. I had a gunsmith check it.

Comment

• Beeks
                              • Sep 2014

Yes, all ammo. I have not replaced the buffer spring. It measures 10 1/4 long which I believe is appropriate for a carbine length buffer tube.

Comment

Working...
                              X