Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2020, 11:47 AM

Default Dreaming of CMP M14 Sales

Hey guys,

Imagine a world where legislation (similar to the 1911 legislation a few years ago) would direct the Department of Defense to start shipping the 80,000 or so M14's in surplus inventory to the CMP.

Imagine the same world where the CMP would be authorized to reintroduce foreign (US sold/donated) M14's back into the US (similar to the Philippine Garand's they recently brought back).

OK...now that we have the fantasy steps out of the way that will never happen, let's get onto the practical issues.

1. They'd have to be converted to semi-automatic fire only.
2. CMP would have to run a lottery like they did for the 1911
3. Prices would be high. Like the 1911 likely high enough we'd all have to take a deep breath before putting it on a credit card.
4. Auction Prices for higher grade rifles would make the "high price" in 3. above seem trivial.

Yeah...it's just a dream...but...you know....so was the whole 1911 thing a few years ago.

Put me down for one.

Phil
Old 12-15-2020, 11:54 AM

I like that dream. Miss my M14...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2020, 12:04 PM

There is no converting a M14 to semiauto as once a MG always a MG but I have huge hopes that someday the CMP will be able to get their hands on M14 parts kits and from there they could sell the kits or build up some specials using new Receivers.

Odds are long that the CMP would build rifles but kits used to be available so could happen again. With that said, given how many shooters use AR-15s a surplus M16 parts kit would sell well and finance CMP missions too. There are options!
Old 12-15-2020, 12:54 PM

Believe the "Once a MG always a MG" mandate is a BATFE bureaucratic ruling and not law but it still applies and is not likely to ever change. The Army was going to sell M14M's for use in match shooting by civilians. They were M14's w/ solidly welded selector blocks. They even had a TM written that included them. The repercussions of the Kennedy assignations changed that plan.

Airborne,
Mark
Old 12-15-2020, 12:59 PM

I think Iíve read the Military did modify some to semiauto only but they were used by the military teams. They have different rules obviously. I built by Bula M14 this year after 0putting that purchase off for 30 or so years. One is enough for me.
Old 12-15-2020, 01:16 PM

"Once a Machine Gun...."

I'm not a lawyer, don't play one on TV, etc...so take this with a grain of salt. The article below from 2018 (republished 1997 article) calls into question if BATF can continue to use this policy:

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/displ...darticles=4009

So...if you read that through (as I just did) you'll find ONCE AGAIN, I have never had an original thought in my life. The author ends up applying the court decision to a hypothetical scenario where the CMP offers semi-auto (converted) M14's. I knew that an idea this good would have already occurred to someone smarter than me in the past. But whomever came up with it...still not a terrible idea if anyone could fight through the details.

Last edited by HoosierBuddy; 12-15-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 01:38 PM

Nice dream.
I would just love it if parts kits from the M14s were available again. Got a bunch of them before, but never enough.
RVN 67-68
Old 12-15-2020, 01:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
Nice dream.
I would just love it if parts kits from the M14s were available again. Got a bunch of them before, but never enough.
That would be nice! I was late to the M14 build game and missed out when CMP offered their kits. Was able to get one of the Dupage offered kits a few years ago for $400 and all H&R....what a deal. Now wish I had bought more than one.
Old 12-15-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearheadOrd View Post
Believe the "Once a MG always a MG" mandate is a BATFE bureaucratic ruling and not law but it still applies and is not likely to ever change.
While the BATF ruling is not a statute, it is still the law. Regulations made by authorized federal agencies (which include the BATF) have the power of law. I suspect that none of us will live long enough to see that particular regulation change or be overrulled.
Old 12-15-2020, 03:02 PM

It's my understanding that the CMP did consider assembling their supply of M14 parts to commercial receivers (possibly LRB Arms) at one time, but they decided they could not align themselves with any particular commercial manufacturer (even though they did exactly that about 20 years ago with the AR15 program). In all fairness, it probably wouldn't matter any to the purchasers, but the manufacturers may have complained.