Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2021, 11:40 PM

Default Thoughts on this M1 Carbine?

Was at a local gun store today to pick up/transfer an item ordered online and they had an M1 Carbine for sale that just came into their shop. I have been looking to acquire an M1 Carbine but don't know much about them. Wanted to ask the community what thoughts you all might have about the condition of the rifle and the price.

Pics are here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...dj?usp=sharing

Here is what I can tell from looking at and taking pictures of the rifle:
-Receiver marked: "INLAND DIV"
-Serial #: 681104
-Rear Sight: Adjustable stamped version marked "I.R. CO."
-Front Sight Marked: "S.A."
-Safety: Lever type
-Barrel Band has bayonet lug
-Low wood stock
-Left side of buttstock near oiler cutout has "RIA EB" cartouche
-Circle P cartouche on the front of the grip
-Circle P cartouche and "A" on the underside/heel of the grip
-Top of barrel behind front sight is marked "S A 12 50" with an inverted "P" above it.
-No import marks on the barrel or receiver

Concerns/Cons:
-Stock has been refinished with glossy coat
-Brass pin repair on the handguard near the barrel band
-Brass pin repair at the wrist behind the trigger guard

Shop is asking $1300 which includes the rifle, a soft case, two magazines, and a sling. Any thoughts on this rifle? Is this a good price for this rifle in this condition?

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2021, 12:50 AM

I’d pass based on the stock alone. Spend some time reading and learning about the M1 Carbine and what to expect from an arsenal refinished gun (your best bet). Don’t chase “original” early M1 Carbines as there are more fakers out there than original rifles and you’ll easily be taken.
Old 02-13-2021, 07:59 AM

It's a rebuilt rifle with later updates and a replacement barrel. I think you can do better for $1300. The shop has a business to run for sure, but I see better deals out there even in the current market.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:32 AM

Barrel is a Springfield Armory from December 1950. M1 carbines with SA barrels are not common. Appears the Carbine was rebuilt during the Korean war. $1300.00 seems high.
At $1150.00 sounds more in line.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:37 AM

Default carbine sale

Sling is for a Garand.
Looks good though. What was the ME?
are mags is good condition ?
I'd say $1200 maxl
Old 02-13-2021, 09:53 AM

Have you looked at other venues to see what $1300 buys you? From what I am seeing on the online auction sites $1000 to $1500 is the new normal. The glossy finish on the stock is no big deal to remove. The case, sling and mags if GI are another $50-$75 if you have to buy them separate. Others have commented that $1150 or $1200 is the max. To me $100 or $150 is not enough to be a deal breaker.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcc View Post
Have you looked at other venues to see what $1300 buys you? From what I am seeing on the online auction sites $1000 to $1500 is the new normal. The glossy finish on the stock is no big deal to remove. The case, sling and mags if GI are another $50-$75 if you have to buy them separate. Others have commented that $1150 or $1200 is the max. To me $100 or $150 is not enough to be a deal breaker.
If you can get a rifle for the same price which doesn’t require stock restoration, why not?
Old 02-13-2021, 11:25 AM

I say 1K would be a good deal and is actually what its worth IMO as long as the bore is excellent.

Wouldnt pay a dime over that....
Old 02-13-2021, 01:12 PM

I agree with the others that $1300 seems high. See if you can haggle them down a bit. But carbines seem to be seen for sale less and less. Maybe this is the new normal?
Old 02-14-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesalite View Post
I’d pass based on the stock alone. Spend some time reading and learning about the M1 Carbine and what to expect from an arsenal refinished gun (your best bet). Don’t chase “original” early M1 Carbines as there are more fakers out there than original rifles and you’ll easily be taken.
Yeah. I've been trying to read up to become more familiar with them. It looks like I missed the bus on the CMP M1 Carbines by many years. I have no issues with an arsenal refinished gun. I was thinking I should be able to find a shootable mixmaster for around $1000. Ok, thank you for the advice on the early M1 Carbines!