Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2021, 01:29 AM

I thought that the CMP was not treating these M1911s as special i.e. C&R items. Being a handgun, you Still need to take final delivery from a (non C&R) FFL
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=134567
Old 03-04-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j634 View Post
This thread is mixing some elements of the application for a MD applicant. Specifically
#3 - Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity
#4 - Legal Eligibility to purchase a Firearm

I personally know someone that used his HQL for #3 in Round 1 and CMP accepted it as proof as "familiarity with safe handling" but specifically called out in the list items "Firearms Owner Identification Card that includes live fire training". I do not speak for the CMP but he as a nice 1911 and I saw it.

I do not have a C&R and to purchase any handgun including a C&R in MD, I do have an HQL. I provided my HQL for #4 Legal Eligibility to purchase a firearm. I submitted a photocopy as proof I can legally purchase a handgun in MD. Yes, I know I can check C&R on my 77R at the FFL once the FFL in MD receives the 1911.

But the CMP requested the following as part of #4 which I read as requesting my HQL for their requirements:
Important: If your State or locality requires you first obtain a license, permit, Firearms Owner ID card or COE in order to posses or receive a pistol, you must include a photo copy of your license, permit or card with the application.

The OP did not mention which item he was asking using the HQL for.
It’s possible to obtain an HQL without live fire training, like by having previously owned a regulated firearm lawfully or having completed any hunter safety course. I don’t know if CMP has a policy of flat out accepting HQLs for proof of marksmanship activity or if they want supporting documentation that it was obtained with a live fire method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadillacMike View Post
I thought that the CMP was not treating these M1911s as special i.e. C&R items. Being a handgun, you Still need to take final delivery from a (non C&R) FFL
CMP isn’t allowed to transfer them to an FFL03, but the receiving FFL01 can.

MD requires the state handgun license to take possession of a modern handgun, but C&R handguns are exempt from that state requirement.

Last edited by ken792; 03-04-2021 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:03 PM

Default Hql

Sent my HQL in with my package for round 1. Also had to do the MSP check after dealer received my 1911. Pretty easy.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken792 View Post
CMP isn’t allowed to transfer them to an FFL03, but the receiving FFL01 can.
A Maryland 03 FFL-holder would still have to go through a waiting period for a transfer from an MD 01 FFL though, wouldn’t he? This is such an odd case, I’m actually not sure. My guess would be that once the C&R firearm arrives at an MD 01, it becomes “a Maryland transfer” and having the 03 FFL gets you nothing.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm32 View Post
A Maryland 03 FFL-holder would still have to go through a waiting period for a transfer from an MD 01 FFL though, wouldn’t he? This is such an odd case, I’m actually not sure. My guess would be that once the C&R firearm arrives at an MD 01, it becomes “a Maryland transfer” and having the 03 FFL gets you nothing.
Yes, still need a 77R and everything that entails for in-state transfers.

I know some people who have the MD FFL01 hand off C&R handguns to an out of state FFL01 like at gun shows so they can pick them up immediately as an FFL03.

MD FFL03s can still get C&R firearms shipped to them and they’ll be exempt from the long gun private transfer ban about to go into effect.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:07 AM

Did any Marylanders here in round 1 have the CMP 1911 shipped to an out-of-state FFL and have them send it to you directly as a C&R holder? I could see it saving a few days but might cost more as you'd presumably have to pay shipping from the FFL.

FWIW, I included my HQL just in case they were enforcing MD as a need-license-to-obtain-handgun state (used C&R for marksmanship/firearm activity requirement).
Old 03-05-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Esq. View Post
Did any Marylanders here in round 1 have the CMP 1911 shipped to an out-of-state FFL and have them send it to you directly as a C&R holder? I could see it saving a few days but might cost more as you'd presumably have to pay shipping from the FFL.

FWIW, I included my HQL just in case they were enforcing MD as a need-license-to-obtain-handgun state (used C&R for marksmanship/firearm activity requirement).
No one I know attempted that, though I’m not even sure if CMP would ship to an FFL in a different state. It would have been cheaper to pick up at a VA FFL for $25 and walk out the same day instead of paying the $50 and sometimes $50+$10 at an MD FFL and have to make two trips.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Esq. View Post

I asked a similar question about having a 1911 shipped to NV so I could pick up with my C&R. The answer was the CMP will only ship to FFL 01 in your state.

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)
Old 03-05-2021, 10:20 AM

Yup, $50 + $10 because you need to do MSP 77R.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwaveguy View Post
I asked a similar question about having a 1911 shipped to NV so I could pick up with my C&R. The answer was the CMP will only ship to FFL 01 in your state.
Makes sense. Thanks.