Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2021, 11:38 AM

Considering the M14’s ( units I deployed to both Iraq in 2004 and Afghanistan in 2008 were issued some) were an interim solution now taken over by the AR 10 type platform, one would think there would be a way to obtain complete parts kits for distribution by CMP.
Then again the Navy still uses the M14 for line throwing on ship and possibly some protective duties, so saving the parts to keep the Navy rifles going would be prudent.

One time my national guard armory had a massive housecleaning in preparation for some sort of inspection, and lots of old surplus stuff was chucked. I recall new in wrap M14 and grease gun magazines getting thrown away. Pretty sad ( my unit had a limited number of M3A1 grease guns on our books until the early 2000’s!)
Old 04-08-2021, 12:17 PM

The guys running the M88 recovery vehicles in Desert Storm still had grease guns issued to them. They were still in the vehicles when we loaded them to come back to the states.

I volunteered to stay back and load boats. The rule was if you could start it, you could drive it. M1 Abrams, m60 bridge layers, and any thing else that looked cool to a grunt!
Old 04-08-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdomingue View Post
The CMP sold M14 parts kits way back when made up from decommissioned M14s, but that is no longer possible. The current practice/policy(law?) is to destroy every functional part of any automatic rifle, so nothing is left but scrap.
I recall it quickly becoming a PITA for the CMP. They offered A & B kits and there were a series of complaints and returns.

I was in the old SS one day and was told to buy them while you could since the CMP was selling remaining stock to another vendor. This was after a very rude customer was asked to leave the store. He was angry they wouldn’t open the kits to allow him to pick the best one. At the time you bought a kit, sight unseen, luck of the draw.

In the end it Just wasn’t worth the aggravation for them.

Last edited by Front Line; 04-08-2021 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Line View Post
[...] In the end it Just wasn’t worth the aggravation for them.
There's a lesson in there, that I wish more current members would heed; such is life.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:40 AM

Default USGI Semi Auto M14?

IIRC, one of the Govt vendors made a semi auto M14. The ATF took an individual to court to prosecute the individual for having a unregistered MG and the judge found in favor of the plaintiff as the gun never existed as a MG. My understanding is that the ATF did not appeal the case. Am I dreaming? If not what was the vendor?
Old 04-10-2021, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFLeader View Post
IIRC, one of the Govt vendors made a semi auto M14. The ATF took an individual to court to prosecute the individual for having a unregistered MG and the judge found in favor of the plaintiff as the gun never existed as a MG. My understanding is that the ATF did not appeal the case. Am I dreaming? If not what was the vendor?
You are dreaming.

Man in Ohio acquired a National Match M14. Took ownership to court and won as this was a semi-auto National Match, never had been full auto.

He got to keep his rifle but the decision was never generalized to other semi-auto National match M14's (most TRW I think) so the rest of us are left out.

All the best.

John
Old 04-10-2021, 11:05 PM

Thanks for filling the blanks!
Old 04-11-2021, 07:12 AM

A few weeks ago LRB had some kits ,I bought one,All i needed to buy to make it complete was a barrel,Bolt,Sight Pinion and gas assembly and the Flipper for the Buttstock, I had the gas assembly and a pinion, The Walnut stock they sent me was beautiful Defense dep't stamped one and all the parts were matching H&R and condition was like new ,out of four kits I've bought over the years that was one of the nicest condition ones I've seen ,Did anyone else buy one from Lou at LRB? I only paid $389.00 just waiting on the receiver now there sold out. I am hoping he will put more up for sale they stayed up for a while.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhusker View Post
You are dreaming.

Man in Ohio acquired a National Match M14. Took ownership to court and won as this was a semi-auto National Match, never had been full auto.

He got to keep his rifle but the decision was never generalized to other semi-auto National match M14's (most TRW I think) so the rest of us are left out.

All the best.

John
https://casetext.com/case/us-v-one-t...-caliber-rifle
https://casetext.com/case/us-v-trw-r...6251mm-caliber
https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-6th-circuit/1181941.html
Old 04-29-2021, 08:45 AM

the solution is to make it a Law that M14s are exempt from the machine gun trap. Find a pro gun congressman who will attach it to a omnibus spending bill that the Dems REALLY want. Done.