Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2021, 07:48 PM

While the cmp guns “all came from the army” bear in mind the army is the lead small arms agency in the American armed forces, so with limited exception, all small arms at some point ( coming in or going out) are consolidated and possessed by the army. So 1911 pistols in the cmp program came from all services consolidated in the army supply system and shipped to cmp. This is why you see pistols with USMC rebuild marks that “came from the army”
Also while in the 1940’s and earlier there were specific direct shipments of specific serial number blocks to specific services, over time pistols would be transferred and cross leveled between services multitimes over the pistols life. A typical example is the WWI block of 1911’s originally contracted to be provided to the Army but transferred to the marines due to supply shortfalls
Old 05-05-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
All CMP 1911s came from the Army. I would assume many originally served in the other branches but all CMP knows is they came from the Army.
They sort them into the 3 grades.
You may make a request when called, but typical requests are for manufacturer, new or old finish, top/bottom match, yes/no rebuild; something easy to identify without research, charts or disassembly.
If they see a request all they can do is look among the group of pistols in the shipping area (so maybe a few dozen at most?) and if what you request is there, they may fill it. If it isn't there they will pick something of the grade you paid for.

Since "US Navy" is not a prominent feature how would you request it, and more importantly, how would they fulfill it given the process as it exists today?
Think of it like rubbing the lamp. You only get 1 wish, don't waste it on something they can't reasonably fulfill.
Examples of those wasted wishes:
Please send one like I carried in the service
Please send one used by xyz unit in 1944
Please send one carried by an officer
Please send one with all parts correct for the s/n
My uncle served in the battle of the bulge, please send me an all matching Colt never rebuilt so I have one like his

And remember, it is no more than a request; they do not offer hand select for a fee; the only guarantee is it will meet the grade description. so read those carefully.

FYI, those are my opinions based on observations, discussions with many and personal experience.
JH
Please send one from 5th Marines used in Belleau Woods...5th Marines, Much appreciated..... Danke...... I'm also going to win the Publishers Clearing House Sweep Stakes....... LOL...............
Old 05-06-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
All CMP 1911s came from the Army. I would assume many originally served in the other branches but all CMP knows is they came from the Army.
They sort them into the 3 grades.
You may make a request when called, but typical requests are for manufacturer, new or old finish, top/bottom match, yes/no rebuild; something easy to identify without research, charts or disassembly.
If they see a request all they can do is look among the group of pistols in the shipping area (so maybe a few dozen at most?) and if what you request is there, they may fill it. If it isn't there they will pick something of the grade you paid for.

Since "US Navy" is not a prominent feature how would you request it, and more importantly, how would they fulfill it given the process as it exists today?
Think of it like rubbing the lamp. You only get 1 wish, don't waste it on something they can't reasonably fulfill.
Examples of those wasted wishes:
Please send one like I carried in the service
Please send one used by xyz unit in 1944
Please send one carried by an officer
Please send one with all parts correct for the s/n
My uncle served in the battle of the bulge, please send me an all matching Colt never rebuilt so I have one like his

And remember, it is no more than a request; they do not offer hand select for a fee; the only guarantee is it will meet the grade description. so read those carefully.

FYI, those are my opinions based on observations, discussions with many and personal experience.
JH

So you're telling me there's a chance if I request one from the Marine expedition to Vera Cruz?
Old 05-08-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
So you're telling me there's a chance if I request one from the Marine expedition to Vera Cruz?
Yes, I'm sure CMP can fulfill your order ASAP. I went to Mass this morning, and the Padre guaranteed me I'll receive a 5th Marine Pistoli. With USMC stampings. Thank you in advance: This is more fun than a barrel of Monkeys.... LOL. I had a M1 made by Springfield.... Genuine no B.S. LOL......... Did qualify with M14 1966 Edson Range. Infantry Training Regiment .. ITR. were issued M1s. They ran out of M14s ..... Basically the same rifle except one had a magazine. Preferred the M1. Perhaps May 67, RSVN were issued M16s ... got a lot of Marines killed. Had big problems with this rifle, had a tendency to jam after the first shot.

Sigmund Freud: “A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” (“General Introduction to Psychoanalysis,” S. Freud)

Last edited by junnie; 05-08-2021 at 04:34 PM.