Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2021, 04:58 PM

I disagree with the some here who expect to have all the details laid out for them.
I do believe it helps the fakers out there, at least where I'm from the gunshow tables are awash in fake wood. There are thousands of cheap unmarked stocks out there for one to practice on, and if done relatively successfully increases their value tenfold.
There is an extensive catalog of images available for one to study, that takes time and patience, something some might not be willing to do.
This is the path that most of us here have had to take to become comfortable to make a good call.
Look at the CMP auction site, there are hundreds of rifles there along with excellent high resolution images.
Get to work.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancer99 View Post
I disagree with the some here who expect to have all the details laid out for them.
I do believe it helps the fakers out there, at least where I'm from the gunshow tables are awash in fake wood. There are thousands of cheap unmarked stocks out there for one to practice on, and if done relatively successfully increases their value tenfold.
There is an extensive catalog of images available for one to study, that takes time and patience, something some might not be willing to do.
This is the path that most of us here have had to take to become comfortable to make a good call.
Look at the CMP auction site, there are hundreds of rifles there along with excellent high resolution images.
Get to work.
++++1
Old 05-26-2021, 06:53 PM

I have learned a lot by simple doing a Google search for:

'RickB' real fake cartouche

I am still not convinced I can identify a fake but I’ve got three corrected Garands that each only need a stock but it’s a costly mistake to buy a fake so I’m still studying.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:41 AM

New around here but not new to milsurps. Garand stock fakes are so common...and some so good that i pretty much consider everything a fake unless its got some sort of documentation. I won't pay extra anymore for stock markings...right or wrong that's where im at.

Its gotten to the point that i consider the CMP stamp a good thing...because at least you know what you really have LOL
Old 05-29-2021, 09:39 AM

The photo clearly shows a fake and since I've almost been skunked on a few faked stamps, I key on what looks right and trust my gut. RickB came along and reinforced the alarms running loud and clear here.

Safest thing these days is buy the best condition M1 you can find with GI stock with DAS or no marking at all. I have one brand new GI Stock with P on grip and no DAS or WWII cartouche...all good though, its GI and I'm not getting scammed.

If you are a purist , then its on you to learn RickB's skill sets if you chase WWII cartouche stocks.

In the long haul, the future owners of our rifles want Condition, they'll not give a flip over a cartouche nor pay more for it. Generational change !
Old 05-31-2021, 11:29 AM

Qq
Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
Safest thing these days is buy the best condition M1 you can find with GI stock with DAS or no marking at all. I have one brand new GI Stock with P on grip and no DAS or WWII cartouche...all good though, its GI and I'm not getting scammed. !
UPDATE: These will never impress a buyer but as this is my teenage son's M1 (eventually), look what showed up after a gentle Mineral Spirits wipedown, two 50/50 Mineral Spirits-RLO wipes and the second 100% RLO light application.

An Inspector stamp (can't make out which one) and the bottom U of the cannon stamp. I don"t care if it isn't visible to the naked eye without a magnifying glass. Now I know it's the original Stock, just sanded away by some Phillipines Army guy.

Springfield Armory Feb 1944

https://imgur.com/a/NzvngAK
zoom in, bottom... it's there..barely

https://imgur.com/a/o8PIozP
same, zoom right

I have the same CMP USGI stock without cartouche but with a circle P under the pistol grip and a small P under the buttplate.
CMP provenance and a circle P are good enough for me.

Last edited by JW_Pepper; 06-01-2021 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-31-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quak View Post
New around here but not new to milsurps. Garand stock fakes are so common...and some so good that i pretty much consider everything a fake unless its got some sort of documentation. I won't pay extra anymore for stock markings...right or wrong that's where im at.

Its gotten to the point that i consider the CMP stamp a good thing...because at least you know what you really have LOL
I feel the same way about Carbine parts...particularly flip sights and bands. I have never owned a flip sight and the only T1 or T2 bands have been on CMP rifles I purchased from CMP. There are just so many fake parts out there for Carbines that you cannot trust but a few folks. There is an ebay seller that has nothing but fake parts and lists them as "original period" parts. If they were fake tennis shoes or gucci bags, ebay would probably ban them. But it also seems there are a bunch of folks that are happy paying an original price for humped parts.