Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2021, 12:21 PM

Default CMP stock finish

I recently picked up a Special Field grade WRA with new CMP stock. Do I need to do anything to the stock? It is a nice color but seems "dry". Do I rub it down with RLO/BLO or Tung Oil, per instructions I have seen for refinishing old stocks?

I also have a SAI M1 Garand purchased "new" in 2004 with the same kind of stock. Should it get the RLO/BLO or Tung oil treatment?

I looked through a few pages of threads but did not see any thing, and searched on "CMP stock" but that returned way to many hits. I also looked on the CMP site but it seemed to indicate that they were already treated with Linseed oil.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:57 PM

BLO has chemical additives to speed drying. It also acts as somewhat of a sealant.

Original conditioning was RLO. Apply very light coats then wipe off after an hour, every other day then switch to once a week for a few weeks.
The composition of RLO will darken the stock nicely over a years time.

https://imgur.com/a/qSJvLKt
Old 10-07-2021, 01:16 PM

Many threads on the CMP "How To" section of this forum.
Boiled Linseed oil, Raw Linseed Oil and Pure Tung Oil (BLO, RLO, PTO) are the most common treatments used by current owners of USGI stocks.
Each has it's followers, none will cause you trouble. None is "best" so read up, flip a 3-sided coin (or use what's easiest for you to get) and get to work.

JH
Old 10-07-2021, 03:50 PM

I think what Mparrot was getting at is, what kind of finish is on the new production CMP stocks? Itís the same question I have. Mine seems to have varnish or some type of sealer on it which would keep any oil from being absorbed.
Old 10-07-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navlav8r View Post
I think what Mparrot was getting at is, what kind of finish is on the new production CMP stocks? Itís the same question I have. Mine seems to have varnish or some type of sealer on it which would keep any oil from being absorbed.
The How To section of the forum has the info you seek
JH
Old 10-07-2021, 04:18 PM

Yep, thatís it. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
Many threads on the CMP "How To" section of this forum.
Boiled Linseed oil, Raw Linseed Oil and Pure Tung Oil (BLO, RLO, PTO) are the most common treatments used by current owners of USGI stocks.
Each has it's followers, none will cause you trouble. None is "best" so read up, flip a 3-sided coin (or use what's easiest for you to get) and get to work.

JH
Thanks for pointing me to the How To's. I did find one a few pages down specifically referencing new CMP stocks.

Now to get some RLO/BLO/PTO. There is a cricket store nearby that looks like it might have what I need; if not Ace Hardware or the paint store will. I will have to break out the old D&D 3 sided die (actually a six sided with just 1-3 pips on 2 sides each).
Old 10-08-2021, 10:45 AM

I got CMP stocks on a service grade M1 a couple weeks ago. It feels rough, almost like it hadn't been sanded down. I've got the Tung oil, so a little sanding and oil and I should be good. (Otherwise, the hardware is beautiful and doesn't appear to be fired much. Really good for 1941!)

JR
Old 10-08-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navlav8r View Post
Curing oils donít really soak in deep anyway. If they did, they would likely never dry. There is only two choices you have, oil over the finish they put on or completely sand off their finish before putting yours on.
Old 10-09-2021, 09:55 AM

Here are images of a CMP stock set I did up recently using a different procedure than my normal. This walnut set did NOT have the exterior sanded or stripped. I only addressed the sharp edges of the wood, lightly sanding them. Then, I rubbed the entire exterior down with a purple Scotch Pad. All standard internal fitting procedures were done as usual.

After rubbing the wood down I applied about 4 coats of BLO and you can see the results. It turned out very nice, but all Boyds cross grain sanding issues still remain, in this case there were not too many.

Sparx

Tags
cmp, finish, springfield, stock