Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2021, 06:48 PM

The 1902 and 1898 sights used the same hand guard design.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
I'm not intimately familiar with Krag handguards. But for starters, I would investigate the feasibility of chopping up or modifying an M1903 or M'03-A3 handguard into a Krag handguard.

Just a thought.

J.B.
Is this a viable option? I have an 1899 carbine that's missing an upper handguard. Since COVID, all the repro sites have dried up and they aren't making them at present (even the site listed above). I am willing to work a 1903 handguard into a quasi 1899 handguard..... but is it possible?

olBEAR
Old 11-14-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olBEAR View Post
Is this a viable option? I have an 1899 carbine that's missing an upper handguard. Since COVID, all the repro sites have dried up and they aren't making them at present (even the site listed above). I am willing to work a 1903 handguard into a quasi 1899 handguard..... but is it possible?

olBEAR
I have never modified an 03A3 or 1903 handguard to fit a Krag. However, It seems a feasible project to me.

If you have the outside dimensions of your Krag stock, such as width forward of the receiver and the width just forward of the stock band/forward swivel, you could trim an 03A3 handguard to fit.

From the look of the photos posted, you would also have to make a cut-out in the handguard to accomodate the rear sight.

This would certainly be an easier job than trying to completely machine cut one from solid wood. The 03A3 handguard is rather thin, and already has the over-all contour and shape of what you would need.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:05 PM

There are blanks available on eBay right now. I have no experience with these but seems like a lot easier to start with than a 1903. No affiliation with the seller, just a Krag fan.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14419502981...MAAOSwDYdhO4mV
Old 11-15-2021, 11:10 AM

navyrifleman and USMA-1982'
Thank you for your replies. Definitely food for thought.

olBEAR
Old 11-15-2021, 06:14 PM

One could also do as my uncle did . . . .

From Gun Parts Inc., in West Hurley, NY, he purchased the biggest, crappiest, “piece-o’-crap”, Krag handguard they had . . . .

All he wanted was the metal clip . . .and the rivets . . .

His woodworking skills came to light, as he made a new guard . . .using the clip AND EVEN THE RIVETS!! . . .to fashion a 1892-version (complete with the fillet on the rearend).

This guard now sits on my “carbine” that has a receiver sight . . . .so the handguard has NO HOLE as was there for the rear, barrel sight!

Makes for a good-looking carbine, but, of course, NOT ORIGINAL in any way!

Only the stock, buttplate, and action is truly an Armory product! (Douglas barrel, early Redfield receiver sight)
Old 11-18-2021, 07:00 AM

I have an almost finished 1898 that has been sitting topless for over a year now. The guy in Georgia won't tell me when or if he is starting up again. There was some without the clips on ebay. That doesn't help most people. I asked a company in Canada I've bought from that is starting Krag stock production to make them with clips but so far it's just been 1896's without metal. I think they are called Prestigious Wood Stocks.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:10 PM

Will wonders never cease!!! Was contacted via PM by a fellow CMP'er graciously made available a 1902 hand guard that was surplus to his needs. He offered it to me and of course I took him up on his most kind offer. The hand guard arrived on Friday. By noon, I was out of the office. By 2 PM I had gotten home. Just before supper on Friday afternoon ... finished the Krag! It really is a pretty thing. Have some pictures on my phone. Now ... how to get them posted. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce View Post
Will wonders never cease!!! Was contacted via PM by a fellow CMP'er graciously made available a 1902 hand guard that was surplus to his needs. He offered it to me and of course I took him up on his most kind offer. The hand guard arrived on Friday. By noon, I was out of the office. By 2 PM I had gotten home. Just before supper on Friday afternoon ... finished the Krag! It really is a pretty thing. Have some pictures on my phone. Now ... how to get them posted. Sincerely. bruce.
Look forward to seeing the photos. It is always nice to see a properly restored historical firearm!