Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2021, 09:14 PM

Default M1917 seen in the wild..

I have been wanting an M1917 and have assumed I'd buy one from the CMP, an assumption I may be foolhardy to continue making.

However, I saw one in the wild today. I don't know enough to know if it's a decent example. The barrel says 10-17 and the wood is gorgeous.
Here is a link to the gallery.

They are asking 1100. Thoughts?

Last edited by adanac; 11-17-2021 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:42 PM

I’d pass at 1100 but I have a nice one. Unintentional bias? Maybe. I would want to know TE and ME. But for a rebuild that is high.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:50 PM

I'm lost. What is "unitentional bias" in this context, and on whose part, and in what context?

Is this one related to yours in some way? You said you had a nice one.

The rifle in my photos is a rebuild? From when and by whom? TIA
Old 11-17-2021, 10:12 PM

Based on the serial number Dec 1917 was when it was made -- Barrel date is stamped right behind front sight on top.
S.A.A = San Antonio Arsenal
Inspector = E

As Maxipum states, please check the muzzle wear and throat erosion - also look down the barrel for signs of use as a Ceremonial rifle {Blanks}
Old 11-17-2021, 10:44 PM

Sorry ,the bias would be mine because I already have one and my need has been filled. Therefore I would not be willing to pay as much as someone who is still shopping for one. the saa stamp is a rebuild mark from the San Antonio arsenal post ww1.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxipum View Post
Sorry ,the bias would be mine because I already have one and my need has been filled. Therefore I would not be willing to pay as much as someone who is still shopping for one. the saa stamp is a rebuild mark from the San Antonio arsenal post ww1.
Awesome, thank you! Are rebuilds quite common?
Old 11-18-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adanac View Post
Awesome, thank you! Are rebuilds quite common?
Yes, after WW1 rifles were sent back thru the supply system to armories for refurbishment, parts replaced if worn out or broken and replacement back into service or placed into 'war reserve' stocks. Some went overseas to other countries (Lend-Lease), issued to VFW posts for Ceremonial rifle duty & others sold off after being classified as obsolete (some of these were re-barreled / rechambered into custom hunting rifles).
Old 11-18-2021, 11:43 AM

If you search for eddystone, 1917, m1917 on GB you will be able to find one for $700+. I recently bought a pristine post ww1 eddystone rebuild for only $750 on GB. The P14's go for much lower but are in .303
Old 11-18-2021, 11:47 AM

Permit me to differ from the others. I believe that $1100 is not an unreasonable price for the rifle if it has a serviceable bore. As noted, the rifle has been overhauled at the San Antonio Arsenal during WWII, refinished, and re-assembled from mixed parts. So the value is less than that of a nice original.

Good Luck! And Happy Thanksgiving!

J.B.

p.s.,

mrhunt14 and I posted simultaneous messages. I concur that you should be able to find a decent M1917 for a bit less than $1100. But, by the time mrhunt14 paid taxes, shipping, a possible credit card fee, and a dealer to receive it, he perhaps had close to $850 tied up in his rifle. And since he could not hold his rifle in his hands and personally inspect it, he somewhat gambled and bought a pig in a poke.

Last edited by John Beard; 11-18-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:44 AM

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
Permit me to differ from the others. I believe that $1100 is not an unreasonable price for the rifle if it has a serviceable bore. As noted, the rifle has been overhauled at the San Antonio Arsenal during WWII, refinished, and re-assembled from mixed parts. So the value is less than that of a nice original.

Good Luck! And Happy Thanksgiving!

J.B.

p.s.,

mrhunt14 and I posted simultaneous messages. I concur that you should be able to find a decent M1917 for a bit less than $1100. But, by the time mrhunt14 paid taxes, shipping, a possible credit card fee, and a dealer to receive it, he perhaps had close to $850 tied up in his rifle. And since he could not hold his rifle in his hands and personally inspect it, he somewhat gambled and bought a pig in a poke.
^^^^^^^^^^^agree...............IMHO!