Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2021, 02:44 PM

Default Help me save a rifle

About 3 years ago my step-dad, a career Navy man on subs, gifted me a low number 1903 receiver, trigger housing, and barrel. He picked it up in California when he was stationed there sometime in the 1960s or 70s he thought. Someone had re-barreled it converting it to .300 Win Mag and likewise opened up the bolt face. This was a common conversion when .300WM hit the market so Iíve read. He told me heíd like to see it brought back to life.

Fast forward to today. My step-dad is already in pretty bad health with COPD and heart problems but to make things even worse he found out last week he has colon cancer. So this project has got to get done now so I can fulfill a promise.

Being a low-numbered receiver, and the fact that someone has already turned the receiver into Swiss cheese with all the peep sight and scope mounting holes, I figure itís best to turn it into a .22. Iím split on the best (and most economical) way to accomplish this. Ideally Iíd like to make it into a .22 1903a4 clone but thatís not absolutely necessary. I know where to source most of the normal rifle parts and wood from but the .22 conversion parts have me stumped. Iíd rather not drop $700-1000+ on a Numrich conversion kit and Iíve read that the 1922 m2 trainer parts will work Iíd just need to source them along with a m2 barrel. Conversely I could have a .30-06 barrel sleeved but Iíd need another part to bridge the gap between the barrel and m2 bolt or so Iíve read. Iíd also like for it to be magazine fed instead of single shot. Most of the M2 parts are out there right now except for barrels and I just need to know what to buy or who I can send it to.

Can anyone with more knowledge than me make this idea work? Thanks for any tips or advice in advance.

https://imgur.com/a/GkyY6rk
Old 11-26-2021, 04:52 PM

Not sure I can give you any sound advise regarding how to proceed, but I can tell you that your receiver serial number, 801477, is not a low number receiver. The cut-off was 800000.

Second, 801477 is in the middle of a lot of USMC related numbers. Makes sense if you step-dad was career Navy.

Finally, I'm do not think you will find going the .22 route any easier them restoring it to 30-06. Parts for either are scarce and the cost will run you about the same. A 1922 barrel will be the challenge. They do show up, but you could wait months. I would look for a sporterized rifle, .22 or .30-06, and use the parts to restore your rifle.

Unfortunately, your tight time frame usually means higher costs.

Art
Old 11-26-2021, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESWL View Post
Not sure I can give you any sound advise regarding how to proceed, but I can tell you that your receiver serial number, 801477, is not a low number receiver. The cut-off was 800000.
Thank you for the correction! I donít know where I got that from. As I said before I got it about 3 years ago before I was into milsurp bolt rifles (this barreled receiver actually sparked my interest). I guess I ďmis-rememberedĒ and didnít give it anymore thought.

Well Iíd still like to make it a .22 but seeing as someone was obviously able to shoot higher-pressured .300WM out of it with no Iíll effects I guess going through traditional .30-06 route is the best course forward. I donít shoot my other 1903 and 1903a3 examples as it is so Iíd probably never shoot this one either unless it was more economical.

As I said before itís got more holes in it than a block of Swiss cheese.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepper_Pig View Post
Thank you for the correction! I donít know where I got that from. As I said before I got it about 3 years ago before I was into milsurp bolt rifles (this barreled receiver actually sparked my interest). I guess I ďmis-rememberedĒ and didnít give it anymore thought.

Well Iíd still like to make it a .22 but seeing as someone was obviously able to shoot higher-pressured .300WM out of it with no Iíll effects I guess going through traditional .30-06 route is the best course forward. I donít shoot my other 1903 and 1903a3 examples as it is so Iíd probably never shoot this one either unless it was more economical.

As I said before itís got more holes in it than a block of Swiss cheese.
I'm also in the process of building a .22 out of a 1903A3 receiver. If you want it to be magazine fed, there will be some milling of the receiver involved. The barrel is the biggest obstacle for me as I'm going to make mine a single shot.
I'm getting a quote to have a barrel made. My guess it will be north of $350 to have a barrel made from a blank.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:42 AM

You can get a standard .22 blank in correct tape and do single shot with a 1922 bolt pretty easily if you have a good machinist and 22lr guy.

Smag~
Old 11-27-2021, 07:07 PM

22 LR is a good way to go. I'm in the middle of said conversion, tho' not the A4 variant. Single shot is also THE way to go. Much more straightforward and cheaper. Barrels: different ways to go. Advertise in "Wantabuy"section for a 1922 barrel and M2 bolt, or get the sleeve job - make sure you get a good machinist to make a bushing to take the barrel rear back to the bolt. One thing that's intrigued me would be to use a 44US BR - machine it to go into the 03 receiver. You might get a bit more creative and use the 44US bolt, too. Your machinist/smith would just have to machine out the upper rear of the 03 receiver to accommodate the bolt. We could use a whole subsection dealing with 22LR conversions in here. Also the 22LR is a lot easier on older shoulders than the '06. Cheaper and the milsurp '06 ammo is drying up. Get ahead of the game. Et cet.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:44 PM

I would go with a new good 22lr barrel in right taper. Better than any old 19 forgotton barrel, get with a choke lap. Shoot circles around some old barrel made by lowest bidder. Ya get what you pay for. Cut chamber for ammo
You wanna shoot, eley, round nose, flat nose, it matters and matters a bunch.

Smag
Old 11-27-2021, 08:54 PM

If you want to get it back to 30-06 RTG Parts has stripped Remington bolts for 30.00.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesix View Post
If you want to get it back to 30-06 RTG Parts has stripped Remington bolts for 30.00.
And I see they have parked ones for $20 😳... Iíd prefer .22LR but right now Iím just going to go with whatever I can get done the quickest.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:38 PM

There was a series of articles in the Shotgun News about converting a 1903 drill rifle to 22LR. Worth a read. You should be able to find a book of “Gunsmithing Projects” on eBay that will include them. The front of the book features a guy grinding something on a bench grinder, and some AR-15’s to the right of him on the workbench…. The article is about 8-1/2 pages long and it pretty detailed.

Last edited by Jakeroub; 11-27-2021 at 09:44 PM.