Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2021, 03:28 PM

Congrats on the brindle, Tough buggers aren't they!
Hornady SST did well too.
Hopefully they've been on good mast and will be tasty.
Old 12-12-2021, 03:45 PM

Thanks.

I was impressed that the sst knocked him down. I have to figure out my elevation drum settings though. That bothers me.
Old 12-12-2021, 04:15 PM

Dan, I wouldn't worry to much on the elevation drum, Just a heat of the moment thing in my opinion. You came through just fine.
Gary, yes they are truly feral, I was scared for my life, armed with a recurve bow in tall pampas grass with them all around within 5 feet. They moved through, One of those times we have all survived and lived to tell.
Old 12-12-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickax View Post
Dan, I wouldn't worry to much on the elevation drum, Just a heat of the moment thing in my opinion. You came through just fine.
Gary, yes they are truly feral, I was scared for my life, armed with a recurve bow in tall pampas grass with them all around within 5 feet. They moved through, One of those times we have all survived and lived to tell.

Thanks.

I honestly need more time and training with the m1 at varying distances. My buddy has a sweet steel setup I need to get out to.
Old 12-12-2021, 09:58 PM

Dan, you said you were dead on at 100 yards with a 6 o'clock hold. Was your group impacting at 6 o'clock or were you going for the bullseye? If the group was not at 6 o'clock, how high was it above it?
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 12-13-2021, 12:38 AM

13 clicks up at 100 yards, while holding a 6 o'clock hold with the blade at the bottom of the target produced a dead center hit. My group was a little over 1 moa.

The target size was a standard size. 18"? Or 24" target?
Old 12-13-2021, 06:10 AM

I grew up on a farm in the Midwest.
Worked with pigs, cows, goats, sheep....etc

A sow with pigs is flat out dangerous.
She turns on you, pins you against the fence or gets you on the ground and you are done.

I'd rather deal with a pi$$ed off bull anytime.

The few times I have went pig hunting I carried a S&W 686+ with seven rounds of Winchester PDX .357 on my hip in addition to my .45-70
Old 12-13-2021, 07:47 AM

I was told, years ago, to always carry a stout handgun when there's hogs around, they consider us food!

Eli
Old 12-13-2021, 10:27 AM

I've seen what a boar hog (large and small) can do. Good advice to make sure you have enough gun to keep them off you. My Dad had a 65 chevy truck that had lots of damaged and beat up sheet metal from angry hogs. I wouldn't want to run up on them. I was out at night leading a patrol and couldn't see my hand in front of my face. When we walked into a group of wild hogs I had to grab a scared and frightened soldier by his collar to keep him from running blindly through the woods, he could have ran right into a tree!
Old 12-13-2021, 10:39 AM

Default Lol-Yeppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfc higgins View Post
I've seen what a boar hog (large and small) can do. Good advice to make sure you have enough gun to keep them off you. My Dad had a 65 chevy truck that had lots of damaged and beat up sheet metal from angry hogs. I wouldn't want to run up on them. I was out at night leading a patrol and couldn't see my hand in front of my face. When we walked into a group of wild hogs I had to grab a scared and frightened soldier by his collar to keep him from running blindly through the woods, he could have ran right into a tree!
Hoenfels Germany comes to mind with wild pigs. Night patrols got sporty at times.