Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2022, 06:58 AM

Default Can't afford to shoot anymore?

Am I the only one who feels like they can no longer afford to shoot anymore?

Did a current price check on .223 this week. If I were to buy all the components. Primers, powder and projo's (I have plenty of good brass) @ current prices including shipping and hazmat is right at .58 per round. Found some new loaded .223 for .47 a round delivered. Doesn't make sense to reload plinking ammo right now. I understand waiting for deals and free shipping and such.

I'm glad I've put away enough ammo/reloading components to hopefully last the rest of my shooting days because The shooting sport is quickly becoming to costly for me.

R/s, Hiller............................................ ..
Old 01-14-2022, 08:07 AM

Totally agree, it is still crazy out there with the prices of components being what they are.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:39 AM

Agreed! . . . .

I’ve noticed there is NO WAITING for a firing point at my club now . . . . .

As I’m a “group shooter”, I may have to reduce my round count from ten, down to five!

Just yesterday, I bought IMR4895 that cost me $36.18 per pound, DELIVERED . . . .UP from $24.91 delivered, only 5 years ago!!

My plinking days are long-over also! (Even .22 LR is far too costly now!)

Seems to me, Ted Kennnedy’s idea he floated years ago, when he wanted to make ammo costs prohibitive as a gun control measure, is now coming to the surface!!
Old 01-14-2022, 09:14 AM

I agree, but it is what it is. Just making it a privilege to the better off now like lots of stuff in life.
No different than the new vehicle cost or groceries or whatever in the last 5 years, it's exponential haha.
Hey look at the bright side, surplus 50 bmg is still 3 bucks haha
Old 01-14-2022, 09:54 AM

Went to the gun club yesterday morning with 2 shooting buddies. We were on the 100/200/300yd rifle range. Our club also has a separate 100yd range and 20 pistol ranges. Temp was mid 50's, sunny, and little wind. Left about Noon and only one other person at the club on a pistol range. On a pretty day in January there were always more folk shooting. Answer..cost and lack of ammo!
Old 01-14-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiller View Post
[...]
I'm glad I've put away enough ammo/reloading components to hopefully last the rest of my shooting days because The shooting sport is quickly becoming to costly for me.
My apologies but I don't understand the contradiction above; you feel like you can no longer afford to shoot anymore, yet you have enough supplies to possibly last the rest of your life.

With a lifetime supply of primers (2 cents ea. S&B's at Cabelas only 6 yrs ago), brass, powder, bullets, .22 rimfire, etc; I feel like I can afford to shoot as much as I want.

Last edited by Kestrel4k; 01-14-2022 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:21 AM

I paid 2 cents per round for CCI MiniMag .22 back in the late 70s.

With inflation, that is equal to 8.6 cents per round today.

Current MSRP for CCI MiniMag is 12 cents per round.

Not really that much more.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:59 AM

Buy yourselves a good air rifle , a firearm doesn't have to go bang and recoil to be fun and hone your skills. I go to my club and shoot right in the hall at 25 ft. . Its great practice in the winter time. Try it you'll like it. Eddie
Old 01-14-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiller View Post

Did a current price check on .223 this week. If I were to buy all the components. Primers, powder and projo's (I have plenty of good brass) @ current prices including shipping and hazmat is right at .58 per round. Found some new loaded .223 for .47 a round delivered. Doesn't make sense to reload plinking ammo right now. I understand waiting for deals and free shipping and such.

R/s, Hiller............................................ ..
First, I don't know how you're calculating the costs of reloading, but with free brass, $33 per pound powder bought in bulk, 15˘ primers and 11˘ bullets, I'm coming up with reloads costing, at most, a little under 40˘ per each.
Second, whining about the price of ammunition is getting a little old. Ammunition and component prices are very cyclic, and unless one has lived under a rock for the last 20 years, they would know that and should plan appropriately.
Third, if you have enough components to last the rest of your shooting days, what's the point of your post?
Old 01-14-2022, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Agreed! . . . .

I’ve noticed there is NO WAITING for a firing point at my club now . . . . .

As I’m a “group shooter”, I may have to reduce my round count from ten, down to five!

Just yesterday, I bought IMR4895 that cost me $36.18 per pound, DELIVERED . . . .UP from $24.91 delivered, only 5 years ago!!

My plinking days are long-over also! (Even .22 LR is far too costly now!)

Seems to me, Ted Kennnedy’s idea he floated years ago, when he wanted to make ammo costs prohibitive as a gun control measure, is now coming to the surface!!

Mind sharing where you found 4895??? I could use some