Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff557 View Post
I don’t quite agree….two years later the local sporting goods shelves are still bare not just 9mm .22 rimfire or the evil black rifle 5.56 there are no 12 gauge trap loads or hunting loads no 30-06 or other common calibers. I haven’t seen large rifle primers or powder since I can’t remember when. The manufactures claim they are running at full capacity-one would think after this long the shelves and supply would catch up. I really believe there is something else going on this time
Griff:
I need to be honest I dislike these threads with a passion, yet I post in them, why.... I'm not really sure.
EVERY time there has been a shortage, these threads come up.
EVERY time the shortage ends and prices/Availability return.

Go to SGammo, etc etc..........they ALL have the ammunition you are looking for.
There are several threads here on this forum that list when and where powder and primers are available.
It's that simple.

For me...... I learned from the past 6 shortages and bought during the cheap days between them.

BTW..... last time I was in my LGS they were fully stocked of VV and IMR powders at normal prices.

Last edited by Gewehr43; 01-17-2022 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:18 PM

Still not buying it…these threads always have the guys with 100k primers and 100#’s of powder telling the rest of us the world is great. I get you should buy when you have the opportunity but I still think there’s more going on. Ya Midway has powder-limit of two pounds so that makes it $52 a pound after shipping and hazmat…far from “normal” prices. I don’t know where you guys are finding fully stock shelves and normal prices but it sure isn’t the places I’ve been watching.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff557 View Post
Still not buying it…these threads always have the guys with 100k primers and 100#’s of powder telling the rest of us the world is great. I get you should buy when you have the opportunity but I still think there’s more going on. Ya Midway has powder-limit of two pounds so that makes it $52 a pound after shipping and hazmat…far from “normal” prices. I don’t know where you guys are finding fully stock shelves and normal prices but it sure isn’t the places I’ve been watching.
I am sure it's different depending on where everyone lives. Some places probably get ammo and reloading components at different rates than others.

Here during 2021 you could find most everything in the beginning. Lots of ammo and components at "normal" prices. Once it got super crazy it slowly dried up and you had to learn to hit the stores on off hours. If you did that, you could find it.

Now all ammo is in stock. Powder is mostly there and primers are not hard to find. Yes prices are higher, but it's available.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:45 PM

The regular use powders like 4895, 4064, varget, 4830, retumbo, etc. have been non-existent in my area. Shotgun and pistol powders are somewhat available again for $30-$40 per pound. I haven't seen primers in a store since I last bought them over a year ago. That includes traveling to areas like Harrisburg, Wilkes-Barre, State College, New York, Ohio, Grices gun shop, etc. It's been very difficult to reload for a REASONABLE price around here unless you want to pay for shipping and hazmat from Midway, Brownells, etc.

Ammo prices haven't really changed either although inventory has STARTED to return. When I've seen PPU and other 30-06 FMJ type range ammo it's always been $2 a round. 5.56 is usually about .50 cents a round or more. I can't agree that ammo and reloading supplies are not hard to find, they are hard to find around my area. When they are around, expect to pay a premium. Glad they prices and inventory are retuning to normal in other areas though, that's a good sign!
Old 01-18-2022, 03:31 AM

I don't go looking because I really don't need anything. The only place I can report on is Walmart in Decatur, AL. The only reason I was looking was for my grandson who needs 12 Ga. 3" steel loads.

I haven't seen anything on the shelves except a few 325 round bulk packs of Federal Auto Match for $18.65 + tax. Limit 3 boxes of ammo in any combination. Those Federals come out to 6.3 cents per round after tax. Not too bad considering.

They did have a few 100 round cases of 12 Ga. #8 field loads but I didn't notice the prices. No center-fire rifle or handgun ammo at all.

Nothing in the New Orleans, Covington and Baton Rouge, LA areas per my grandson.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138

Last edited by sigman2; 01-18-2022 at 03:33 AM.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:20 PM

Some time ago I got onto Jeff's deal on WC846 and bought 48 lbs. for my 5.56 so I am good to go. Now I am back into HO trains, and YOU think shooting is expensive!
Old 01-20-2022, 08:26 PM

It's for exactly these reasons that I got in to black powder shooting about 10 years ago, and building my own long rifles. Yes, Goex recently ceased operations so domestic manufacturers are tight (rumor is that they recently found a buyer and will go back in to operation), but a 7000 grain pound of powder @ $25 lasts a long time. And an extended shooting session for most folks is 25 shots. With my range loads (40 gr.) is 175 shots / $0.33 in powder per round. Casting my own 80 gr / 38 cal RB's is another $0.015 per round. I figure 30 shots per $1.00 flint, or another $0.033. All in, about $0.39 per round x a 20 round / 2 hour session is <$8.00 for ammo, about the same it costs me in gas to get there and back.

Yes, you can make your own BP for about $3.00 / lb, but there is conflicting information ou t there as to whether that is, or is not completely legal. If I got in to shooting full sized cannons that's something I would explore more seriously. I just haven't-----yet.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:34 PM

The real tough spot is for people that are starting out now with anything firearms related, having everything staked deep isn't an option for them.

If you want a real eye opener look at the current top dog turkey shells. Federal 3.5" TSS loads are $93 per box of 5. If it's a new hunter and gun you'll need two boxes just to have enough for patterning and hunting your first season. It's crazy that you can buy a whole turkey at the grocery store for less than the price of one shell.

Hopefully Winchester can even make enough LBXR to make it to the shelves this spring. We haven't had any turkey shell on the shelf in two years.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:34 AM

https://www.ammoshoponline.com/shop/...free-shipping/

QTY 1,000 – FREE MILITARY AMMO CAN WITH EACH ORDER! – FREE SHIPPING! $466.99
Caliber: 5.56×45 Nato
Weight: 62 gr
Bullet Type: FMJ (SS109 Penetrator)
Muzzle Velocity: 3,020 fps
Muzzle Energy: 1,255 ft. lbs.
Case: Brass
Quantity: 1,000 Rounds

it's been cheaper and will probably be cheaper again, but you can get as much ammo as you want. it could be worse.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundermtn View Post
The real tough spot is for people that are starting out now with anything firearms related, having everything staked deep isn't an option for them.

If you want a real eye opener look at the current top dog turkey shells. Federal 3.5" TSS loads are $93 per box of 5. If it's a new hunter and gun you'll need two boxes just to have enough for patterning and hunting your first season. It's crazy that you can buy a whole turkey at the grocery store for less than the price of one shell.

Hopefully Winchester can even make enough LBXR to make it to the shelves this spring. We haven't had any turkey shell on the shelf in two years.
Not to change the subject, but I've always hunted turkey with 12 ga. 1 3/8 or 1 1/2 oz. high antimony (hard) #4 lead shot loads (handloads) which worked perfectly. Midway has loads such as these in stock for less than $25 for a box of 5. Heck, the last spring turkey I killed was with an old Stevens 16 ga. SxS loaded with run-of-the-mill Winchester 1 1/8 oz. #4. Never bothered patterning, just always called them in close.