Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Auction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2020, 08:17 AM

I cannot even figure out how to navigate to the auction site now.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:39 PM

Don, the point I was trying to make is bidding high early on. In the past auctions of 1911s one individual at one minute after twelve, bid $1050.00 on every 1911. He didnít get to do that this time because it was down. I was surprised when i checked in the afternoon and one 1911 was at $700.00, and all were not at or over the reserve. That didnít last long the next time I looked he bid $1050.00.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letterman View Post
Don, the point I was trying to make is bidding high early on. In the past auctions of 1911s one individual at one minute after twelve, bid $1050.00 on every 1911. He didnít get to do that this time because it was down. I was surprised when i checked in the afternoon and one 1911 was at $700.00, and all were not at or over the reserve. That didnít last long the next time I looked he bid $1050.00.
Actually what you don't see is what counts. While the site will show $1050, that does not mean that that is what the maximum bid is. It only shows the minimum of what is required to either meet the reserve or to be the highest bids at the time. Yes I, am the one who bids but you'd have to see what my bids were to know what I bid on the 1911 at the time. In reality, the price that the 1911s start at should be started at $1050 with the reserve being at $1050. I often bid my close to my max early and so that is why you would see the $1050 early on. The new rule is you can only have one high bid at a time. I don't know how the software is checking that but while it might prevent one person from having winning bids on more than one pistol at a time, it will still not stop the minimum $1050 from being shown early on. Because as soon as the person is out bid on a pistol, they can bid on a different one. In most cases, no later than 0900 I am out bid. I'll use #5600 as an example which had a final bid of $2501.00.
CMPUser $1,079.58 1/27/2020 8:35:27 AM
CMPUser* $1,078.58 1/27/2020 8:35:27 AM
CMPUser* $1,061.00 1/27/2020 7:38:58 AM
CMPUser $1,060.00 1/27/2020 7:38:58 AM
CMPUser* $1,052.00 1/27/2020 7:27:18 AM
CMPUser $1,051.00 1/27/2020 7:27:18 AM
CMPUser* $1,050.00 1/27/2020 12:01:57 AM

So even though my bid* of $1050 was the first one on the list, you'll see that my bid at the time was actually $1078.59 as entered. The bids entered are done automatically until your maximum is reached. If you want one, then it will have to be in the $1500 or more range at present so why not cover the reserve early? I often don't check back until on Friday morning so set my first bid at what I'm willing to give for the one I'm bidding on. I have seen the software not inform of being out bid so you also have to factor that in. And had it work both for and against me. I have also seen the software lock out bidding on a Friday or earlier so if you didn't bid high enough to start, you might not get a chance to enter a higher bid later. And when it was rebooted, it was too late to up the bids as there was no time left.

And there actually would have been a way of not seeing my bids showing $1050 before. All that would have had to have happened was for me to have won one either on the auction or in the lottery early on. I haven't, so I continue to bid. And hope.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:39 PM

Don, I was not accusing you of being the bidder that bid on all of the pistols. I was just stating a fact,I like you would not spend the amount of money people spend on any auction. My opinion of all auctions is I might be able to purchase some thing at a cost I think is reasonable and I can afford. I bid on a 1911 early on and was outbid, but because I did bid I was able to follow that pistol to see other bids and bidder numbers. If you donít bid you can only see the high bidder number and bid. I donít know of any auction that shows someone elseís maximum bid. Do you not think if you start the bid low and bid in whatever increment-that some sites have say $25.00 at a time, that you might be able to win one. They start at $1.00 so you could start a whatever ( low ) and get to $1050.00 by the last day. I have done the same thing put in a ( low ) opening day check back on last day and either bid or not depending on how high it goes. I just canít see how opening bid at reserve gets low price. I mentioned this earlier in another post someone bid $5000 early and won it he said he had been drinking when he made the bid.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letterman View Post
Don, I was not accusing you of being the bidder that bid on all of the pistols. I was just stating a fact,I like you would not spend the amount of money people spend on any auction. My opinion of all auctions is I might be able to purchase some thing at a cost I think is reasonable and I can afford. I bid on a 1911 early on and was outbid, but because I did bid I was able to follow that pistol to see other bids and bidder numbers. If you don’t bid you can only see the high bidder number and bid. I don’t know of any auction that shows someone else’s maximum bid. Do you not think if you start the bid low and bid in whatever increment-that some sites have say $25.00 at a time, that you might be able to win one. They start at $1.00 so you could start a whatever ( low ) and get to $1050.00 by the last day. I have done the same thing put in a ( low ) opening day check back on last day and either bid or not depending on how high it goes. I just can’t see how opening bid at reserve gets low price. I mentioned this earlier in another post someone bid $5000 early and won it he said he had been drinking when he made the bid.
Nope! Because on the last day, you will have someone come in at the last minute and bid something up higher than your bid. I have bid on items that I was interested in and had someone come in at 2 minutes till the normal end, bid. Then when I put in a higher bid in the 10 minute rule, watched as someone who had never bid on it bid after the normal closing time with their first bid. The first bidder and I had previous bids but there was nothing to stop the last one from doing so. So we just have to accept it. And yes, I do agree that the only way to see what the bids are is to enter one early. Which is why mine often go in at 0101 Eastern time. So far I have won 51 items, but lost on over 1700 that I have bid on since the last software change. That's life. Win some and lose some. Still think I'm ahead though.

And yes, I might alter my bidding with the new rule as otherwise, you won't be able to see all the bids on all that you might be interested in. Which is just about all 1911s in my case.

Last edited by Ohio Don; 02-12-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:59 PM

On any bidding on-line, I learned a long time ago to simply bid the amount I am willing to pay.

Anything less and I forget, or the site is down, or my internet is down.

I personally don't like to make a placeholder and hope I remember.

But, we all have 'our' way of doing things...