Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2020, 04:40 PM

Default Rem 40X Standard Barrel Serial Number Question

I am curious how high USMC marked Rem 40X serial numbers go? I have a U.S. Property marked Remington 40X standard barrel in the 9800 serial number range. The roll stamp has a gap between the U.S. and Property where the letters M.C. would fit nicely. It looks like Remington simply removed the M.C. from the roll stamp used on U.S.M.C. marked models when my 40X was roll stamped.

Last edited by TW56; 02-22-2020 at 11:12 PM. Reason: 9800 range
Old 02-22-2020, 10:30 PM

I don't know the exact serial ranges, but I have also noticed that the U.S.M.C. PROPERTY 40X's seem to transition into the U.S. (SPACES) PROPERTY marked 40X standard barrel rifles. Then later the markings changed to just U.S. centered on the upper line. I agree that it looks like the dies were reused with just the M.C. removed.

I have a picture of a USMC 40x just under serial number 6300. I also have a 40X standard barrel serial number just under 8400 that also has the U.S. (SPACES) PROPERTY markings.

This change from USMC to US markings also happened on the H&R MC-58 rifles during about the same time, roughly 1959. I think there must have been some directive that changes this, but haven't seen any documentation.

Dave