Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2021, 12:02 AM

Default M2 Sniper Flash hider effect on accuracy... scientific-ish test

I read the stories about the M2 flash hider having an adverse effect on the accuracy of the rifle. Well, having the rifle and flash hider out today i wanted to put it to the test. Rifle is a CMP M1C with G&H mount and Lyman B-serial scope, shooting from a lead sled @75 yd with 150gr m2 spec hand loads.

Without the flash hider in place

With the M2 hider in place

The group kept tight, it just made the shots fall quite a bit high. I was able to clear my 12" steel gong course, 100, 150, 200, and 300 with the flash hider in place, i had to hold just under the target at each range but it otherwise was as with shooting the hider-less rifle. The flash hider was not tight fitting, there is a bit of slop in it. I was expecting a much looser pattern rather than just moving up. Has anyone else put this to the test?

Last edited by JT76; 05-16-2021 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:22 PM

No, I have not tested any of my cones, or pronged, your test sure makes me want to.
Their nice groups!
Old 05-17-2021, 07:43 AM

Many years ago I did the same with a grenade launcher I had. It opened the gas valve so I didn't lose my brass in the underbrush. Groups opened slightly, maybe from 2" to 2.5". The big difference was they were about 6" lower with the attachment in place. This was at about 100 yards in the woods.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:01 AM

My cone flash hider detracted from accuracy vice a slick rifle. I believe you could find the right one if you had some to choose from. The T37 I have seemed to throw flyers...both look great, accuracy not so much.
“He which hath no stomach to this fight, let him depart, his passport shall be made and crowns for convoy put into his purse. We would not die in that man's company that fears his fellowship, to die with us.” Henry V