Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2021, 03:50 PM

I sent an order on the 19th of April so should be fine, but I have never seen this wordage used by them in all the years I've been around. "We will try to fill orders that are in house already. An email will be sent if order cannot be filled."
Old 05-14-2021, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Tom View Post
The other thing I remember seeing about the Philippine returns was that many of the stocks were termite infested and had to be treated before they could be loaded on to the ship. So I think they ended up with a lot of very diverse items from the Philippines. They probably got some that look great and some that literally all they can save is the receiver. I don't know where my Rack grade special came from, I'm assuming it probably was the Philippines, but it was a great buy for somebody who wants to shoot their guns as opposed to just look at it. It was only $650 almost all of the pitting was below the wood line where it wasn't visible and it had a brand new Criterion Barrel on it a brand new stock. Which some elbow grease, tung oil finish and finishing wax the stock came out looking pretty good if I do say so myself. And I don't think anybody except our local experts on this form would look at it and say yuck!
It's definitely not a collector's item but it probably shoots better than most "collectible" guns.
https://i.imgur.com/V2aojG8.jpg
Your rifle looks great, you did a nice job.

Patience, it's like being a kid on Xmas Eve again !
Old 05-15-2021, 07:30 AM

Default Stocks and upper wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman View Post
Stocks are always in short supply as they simply don't last as long. And if CMP uses new production stocks the natives become very restless, so they constantly seek those.

That's the funniest thing I've read all night, funny and true!!! Never forget when I opened the brown cardboard box and lifted the egg foam 10 years ago to see a sad looking new production/commercial birch - "pumpkin-wood" stock staring at me. They've made up for it many times over since then.
Since this is a constant, I just cannot understand why they won't offer a woodless option. I would be happy to buy service grade minus wood.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det. Jason 714 View Post
I sent an order on the 19th of April so should be fine, but I have never seen this wordage used by them in all the years I've been around. "We will try to fill orders that are in house already. An email will be sent if order cannot be filled."
I am hoping this is just because they are so behind and everything is marked sold out, but given the estimation that 70% of the PI rifles are going to wind up with new barrels, the end may be a lot closer than any of us think. That number made me feel that this year might be it for GI barreled, GI wood rifles as a mail order item.

I know I'm right, I just don't know when I'll be right.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBrowning View Post
I am hoping this is just because they are so behind and everything is marked sold out, but given the estimation that 70% of the PI rifles are going to wind up with new barrels, the end may be a lot closer than any of us think. That number made me feel that this year might be it for GI barreled, GI wood rifles as a mail order item.

I know I'm right, I just don't know when I'll be right.
I figured they started to hit what they thought was the bottom of the barrel, with not much expectation the barrel could be filled again when the started with " Rack grade special's " ten years or so ago they never even thought of selling a Garand with a new manufactured barrel. That was because of what they knew they had in the pipeline.

I don't have all the research, but unless something happens out of Korea i don't belive there are any MAP returns on the horizon. MAP returns in one form or another have been most of the stock since the Danish returns.

JMHO from the way i read the tea leaves

NRA Endowment Life Member; Garand Collectors Association (GCA); Carbine Club; Ohio Gun Collector Assoc (OGCA) Life Member
Old 05-15-2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det. Jason 714 View Post
Since this is a constant, I just cannot understand why they won't offer a woodless option. I would be happy to buy service grade minus wood.
By offering a woodless option you (arguably) just wrote off a whole block of us c&r holders

Bill
Old 05-15-2021, 09:29 PM

i wonder how many more garnds, carbines, and 1911's (not to mention "machine guns") are out in the world that only need government approval to be brought into this country. I'd love to own a MG42 or Sterling(and not at the $40 or $50K artificial price of a registered one).
Old 05-15-2021, 09:31 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWilliam View Post
By offering a woodless option you (arguably) just wrote off a whole block of us c&r holders

Bill
The CMP can ship directly to your house even if you do not hold a C&R.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeroub View Post
The CMP can ship directly to your house even if you do not hold a C&R.
A complete rifle yes, a barreled receiver no, C&R doesn't matter, has to go to an 01 FLL......or 07

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 05-15-2021, 09:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman View Post
A complete rifle yes, a barreled receiver no, C&R doesn't matter, has to go to an 01 FLL......or 07
Wasn't the wood-less Danes and the Navy 7.62 barreled receivers shipped direct to your residence from CMP?