Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2021, 12:52 PM

Default Saved for history! M1922 M2, M1903A3, and Mauser 1910 pistol

This past week while in Anniston for the Talladega 600 matches I met some neighbors of the friend I stay with. Their dads were both WWII vets, and one even worked at Anniston Ordnance Depot. When they found out I was there to shoot vintage rifle events, they asked if I could look at a couple of old guns and perhaps provide them some info. They were hoping to sell them, but didn't really know what they had. I said sure. What they had was an M1903A3 and a Model 1922 .22 Cal M2, with the original paperwork, that the wife's father purchased in 1958. They also have the husband's fathers M1 Carbine that he kept from WWII (not selling). And a Mauser 1910 pocket pistol in .25 ACP.

I had only ever heard of the M1922, so wasn't sure this was one at first (says M2 on receiver) so had to do some research over night. It's only missing the mag and a sight aperture. I was excited to see the 03A3 had only the wood hacked up, the receiver and barrel were left alone. I'm happy to report the rifles came home with me and we'll work on cleaning them up, doing the maintenance, and getting them back shooting.

The owner is wanting to sell the Mauser 1910 (man, it's really a beauty) so if you are interested shoot me a PM please and let me know what you think. I really have no idea right now of an accurate value. The owners are not looking to make gun shop top dollar, but I want them to know they are getting a fair price from someone that wants to appreciate it.

Last edited by USriflecal30; 11-27-2021 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:48 PM

Nice haul! Talk about being in the right place at the right time.

Since I am a 1922 addict, I'll comment on the M2. It is likely a 1941/42 production. What is the barrel date. Everything appears correct, however, the bolt channel is parkerized which means it was probably arsenally refurbished. Do the three assembly numbers on the Lyman 48C rear sight match? Does the stock have a rebuild cartouche or proof "P" on it?

The DCM paperwork is great. Can you imaging only paying $15.00 + shipping for a Springfield M2. That time period, 1958, was the last great fire sale of these remarkable rifles. All the training rifles were returned and sold as is. Either serviceable or non-serviceable.

Thank you for posting the serial number on the bolt. It fills a gap in my database. The etching is of the latter style I commented about in azimuth's M1922MII post. I believe the etching tool changed somewhere in the 7000-8000 serial number range.

Art
Old 11-22-2021, 07:03 PM

very nice 1910 - I have two that the are on either side, not close tho;

S/N 319

S/N 11746
Old 11-22-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESWL View Post
Nice haul! Talk about being in the right place at the right time.

Since I am a 1922 addict, I'll comment on the M2. It is likely a 1941/42 production. What is the barrel date. Everything appears correct, however, the bolt channel is parkerized which means it was probably arsenally refurbished. Do the three assembly numbers on the Lyman 48C rear sight match? Does the stock have a rebuild cartouche or proof "P" on it?

The DCM paperwork is great. Can you imaging only paying $15.00 + shipping for a Springfield M2. That time period, 1958, was the last great fire sale of these remarkable rifles. All the training rifles were returned and sold as is. Either serviceable or non-serviceable.

Thank you for posting the serial number on the bolt. It fills a gap in my database. The etching is of the latter style I commented about in azimuth's M1922MII post. I believe the etching tool changed somewhere in the 7000-8000 serial number range.

Art
Barrel date is 10-38. I don't know how to disassemble the sight as of yet. I did see two parts stamped B24, the mount, and inside surface of the vertical leg. Let me know how to take the sight off, the screw under the vertical leg is loose and I don't know how to get to it (haven't delved into this thing yet...).

The only stamp on the stock that is left is a faint serif P in a circle on the front of the pistol grip. I don't see anything like a DOD stamp or outlines of a box or initials or anything like that. But I don't know what came on these either. Too my eye I'd guess it was lightly sanded and varnished 60 years ago, it just doesn't have that oiled only military stock look (the fathers M1 carbine stock was treated the same). There's a U on the barrel band, there's a capital T on the barrel, just above the long rifle cartridge stamp.
Old 11-22-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USriflecal30 View Post
Barrel date is 10-38. I don't know how to disassemble the sight as of yet. I did see two parts stamped B24, the mount, and inside surface of the vertical leg. Let me know how to take the sight off, the screw under the vertical leg is loose and I don't know how to get to it (haven't delved into this thing yet...).

The only stamp on the stock that is left is a faint serif P in a circle on the front of the pistol grip. I don't see anything like a DOD stamp or outlines of a box or initials or anything like that. But I don't know what came on these either. Too my eye I'd guess it was lightly sanded and varnished 60 years ago, it just doesn't have that oiled only military stock look (the fathers M1 carbine stock was treated the same). There's a U on the barrel band, there's a capital T on the barrel, just above the long rifle cartridge stamp.
The circle "P" on the pistol grip and the "T" on the barrel are rebuild marks. Cartouches are normally on the left hand side of the stock. SA R in an open box is typical, but only one of many.

To remove the elevation slide from the Lyman rear sight, first fully un-screw the knurled knob. It will be retained by a screw so do not wrong about it coming off. Next, depress the knob and slide the elevation slide upward and out of the sight base. This will allow you to access one of the two mounting screws and see two of the three assembly numbers. The third number is on the back of the elevation slide.

Old 11-23-2021, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESWL View Post
The circle "P" on the pistol grip and the "T" on the barrel are rebuild marks. Cartouches are normally on the left hand side of the stock. SA R in an open box is typical, but only one of many.

To remove the elevation slide from the Lyman rear sight, first fully un-screw the knurled knob. It will be retained by a screw so do not wrong about it coming off. Next, depress the knob and slide the elevation slide upward and out of the sight base. This will allow you to access one of the two mounting screws and see two of the three assembly numbers. The third number is on the back of the elevation slide.

Perfect! thanks. Yes I have exact same stamps as you, just B24, 24 is exact same font.
Old 11-27-2021, 06:36 AM

I know it doesn't look tremendously different, but here's the M2 all cleaned, lubed, and ready to go (save mag and aperture). I stripped the varnish off the stock and tung oiled it.

Old 11-27-2021, 08:48 AM

Nice! If you ever decide to get rid of it, let me know. Any away looking for nice 1922's.

Art
Old 11-27-2021, 07:53 PM

Default magazine

Be sure that when you get a magazine for this it is marked M2. The M1 mags look very similar but will not work properly. You can also expect to pay $100 or better for one.