Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2021, 01:28 PM

Default New CMP stock question

I received my garand the other day with a new manufacture stock on it. I was pretty happy about the new manufacture stock until I looked closer and saw that in several places the finish has worn entirely off. I have been looking into purchasing a stock set off the CMP estore for awhile to replace one on another rifle. However, receiving this stock threw up some red flags. I called the CMP to ask if I could expect the same quality from the ones purchased online at the estore. The person I spoke to sounded extraordinarily confused and informed me to "just use the cheapest and darkest stain possible". I am redirecting my question here in hopes that I can receive an answer: are the stocks for sale on the CMP estore the same ones used to replace stocks on ordered Garands? The stock I received on my rifle is essentially unfinished and I before I spend a large sum of money I would like to know if the stock I order will be better.
Old 11-22-2021, 02:11 PM

About 6 coats of boiled linseed oil will completely change that new cmp wood for the better. There are several threads on the forums here on the subject; I personally prefer a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits.

However, to answer your question, I believe the reasonable expectation for a new CMP stock, or any other new stock, is that you will have to do some hand fitting and finishing. Fortunately, my opinion is that the new stocks from the CMP are pretty close and don’t require extensive fitting and finishing like some of the replacement gun stocks I have seen.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:36 PM

Take the stock off, wash it down with some Dawn dishwashing soap. let it dry and apply several coats of B.L.O.. New or old it is the best thing. Look at the how to page.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:11 PM

I think the OP's concern is the the new stock on his new-to-him Garand has several spots where the finish is worn off.

Best I can tell CMP has 1 supplier of the walnut stocks. They sell them on the E-store and use them on some Garands, so they are the same.
Maybe they come to CMP packed loose and get abraded during shipment?

Either way, most people report they do not come oiled so doing as those above mentioned is pretty much needed.

If your stock was damaged when received CMP should be able to manage such a QA issue if you explain it to them.
If it wasn't damaged but simply has some worn spots, and it's on a Rack-Field-Service grade (not special) then, as you need to oil it anyway, do than and it will look 100%.
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 11-22-2021, 07:13 PM

6 to 8 coats of Tru oil and that baby will look nice.
Both mine were new and essentially unfinished, no big deal
Old 11-22-2021, 11:36 PM

Default Stock prob

Here's my offer of proper resolution. Let me buy your rifle for 100.00 over what you paid. Then unencumbered, you can order a nicer rifle.

Lemme know,
Owen Miller
Old 11-23-2021, 09:00 AM

Is the finish “worn off” or are simply some dry areas where the finish was absorbed? Regardless there is good advice here . You can use boiled linseed oil, raw linseed oil, or tung oil as you desire and you will be much happier with your CMP wood. Read some of the articles on the forum and be sure to read the one on the website .
Old 11-23-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martindc1 View Post
I personally prefer a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits.
Thinning your oil-of-choice with mineral spirits or turpentine will allow it to penetrate the wood more deeply.

BTW, avoid anything called "tung oil finish". It is actually a wiping varnish.

Last edited by edlmann; 11-23-2021 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:22 PM

I have seen scores of new CMP stocks on CMP Garands, and I’ve received 5 myself. I have never seen one that does not at least need oiled, and some desperately needed some stain to get them to look better.

It’s possible that you did not know this and were expecting a professionally finished stock set. That’s not what the CMP does. They put out really nice shooter grade wood that needs final finishing and sometimes need some fitting homework too.

You will get by just fine and have fun while you’re at it. There are lots of resources here to guide you.
Old Today, 10:12 AM

As long as it’s not one of those hackberry stocks, I’d call it good……

Still haven’t gotten over those nasty stocks.