Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atoz View Post
Based on forum comments I grabbed a (new old) Thompson Center R55 Classic semi-auto from a dealer rack. I shot some Aguilla GE but vertical stringing was an issue that improved with more rounds fired. I guess it needs a fair amout of break-in. I've heard it was designed for Federal "Auto Match". Is that true?
Any advice on which ammo it may like would be appreciated. How many rounds does it typically take for break in?
Another observation is it does not seem to have a free floated barrel and I'd like to know if that is the intention or if I should relieve the stock to barrel channel or send the rifle back to T/C for correction.
Thanks to everyone for their input.
It took about 2000 rounds to get mine 100%. I have had the best results with Federal 510 high speed ammo. Mine will shoot 1" groups at 100 yds.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atoz View Post
Based on forum comments I grabbed a (new old) Thompson Center R55 Classic semi-auto from a dealer rack. I shot some Aguilla GE but vertical stringing was an issue that improved with more rounds fired. I guess it needs a fair amout of break-in. I've heard it was designed for Federal "Auto Match". Is that true?
Any advice on which ammo it may like would be appreciated. How many rounds does it typically take for break in?
Another observation is it does not seem to have a free floated barrel and I'd like to know if that is the intention or if I should relieve the stock to barrel channel or send the rifle back to T/C for correction.
Vertical stringing really sounds like a bedding issue.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:57 PM

Default T/C Benchmark is my choice

In 2004 I bought a Thompson Center Benchmark and a couple of extra 10-rd mags, based on a very positive magazine article suggesting it was a legitimate 1/2' @ 50 yrd 22LR autoloader with good ammo. I was not disappointed - its very accurate and has a rather nice stock. Here's a pic...

...haven't shot it in a couple of years, and was thinking about selling it, but then came to my senses. Afterall, I own only one semi-auto 22LR rifle, and I don't think I can find a nicer one than this T/C Benchmark. (its barrel is free floated). I suspect the R55 Classic is a good perfomer as well.

Last edited by Random Guy; 05-10-2013 at 04:51 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:14 PM

Random Guy,
that's a beautiful rifle.
I'm going to have to look into maybe getting one.
When my CMP .22LR ammo order finally arrives, I'll need something other than my Weatherby and incoming Kimber to shoot all that .22LR ammo.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:14 PM

Random Guy.
Great looking rifle!
What ammo gets good results? Mine is the sporter/basicmodel but is beautifully finished and very lightweight.