Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 08:20 PM

Default Accuracy of .22 Semi-Autos

I have several bolt and pump 22 rifles but am considering adding a semi-auto. Any consensus on the which are the most accurate off the shelf semi auto rifles,current and past? Thanks.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:55 PM

Consensus? Hahahahahaha!
Sorry, but you can't get consensus on ANY forum, on ANY topic!
But if you want individual experience:
I have perhaps the cheapest .22LR semi-auto you can find, and it has a 20mm (original) scope on it. Marlin model 60. I've done head shots on rabbits at 50 yards with it, on a regular basis.
Step up the price X5, I've shot my friend's Ruger 10-22 with bull barrel and 55mm 10X scope on it, and we've shot ping pong balls at 100 yards until we got bored with the accuracy.
Yes, they're accurate. I'm sure you'll find one somewhere that isn't accurate and reliable.
Also, don't forget the lever action ones.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:09 PM

I have a Remington Nylon 66 that is far more accurate then I am!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the input toadranch1. I have been seriously considering the Marlin Model 60 but haven't shot one (or any auto 22) in many years.

Maybe consunsus is too strong a word. Anecdotal experiences and opinions of experienced riflemen are still highly valued.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:33 PM

+1 on Marlin 60. Ruger 10/22s get all of the pub but had to beat the 60s.

Older models had 17 round tubes so if extra capacity is of interest look around for used. Speed loaders for the tube-feds are interesting also.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/639...-polymer-clear
Old 02-24-2013, 09:43 PM

Didn't know about the tube speed loader. Thanks!
Old 02-24-2013, 10:09 PM

I have a Ruger 10/22 it shoots very good and is pritty accurate but I had a Remington 550 that is an old rifle but it was more consistently accurate. I think it was because it was heavier and the movement of the bolt didn't cause as much movement of the rifle as does the Ruger.

Last edited by bigbird; 02-28-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:09 PM

Another nod/+++ for the Marlin 60! Love mine. No magazines to load/mess with, just drop 10 in the tube and let em fly. Very accurate out to 100 yrds. I'd advise look for a used one 2009 or earlier, when Marlin still owned and produced the rifles. Have heard not so good reviews of the new Remington-owned Marlin Arms Co., after they closed the historic Conneticut plant, fired the Marlin employees and moved operations out of state to a new facility. Bad Ju-ju, imo.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:43 PM

Had a Marlin 60, decent rifle and accurate. Foolishly sold it years ago.

Currently my most accurate Semi-Auto .22 is my Sig 522.

Accurate and reliable.

Oh, and FUN FUN FUN to shoot.

www.RCArms.com

NRA Life Member
GCA Member
US Army Veteran
Old 02-25-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman View Post
Another nod/+++ for the Marlin 60! Love mine. No magazines to load/mess with, just drop 10 in the tube and let em fly. Very accurate out to 100 yrds. I'd advise look for a used one 2009 or earlier, when Marlin still owned and produced the rifles. Have heard not so good reviews of the new Remington-owned Marlin Arms Co., after they closed the historic Conneticut plant, fired the Marlin employees and moved operations out of state to a new facility. Bad Ju-ju, imo.
Wow! Didn't know that about the Marlin factory. I've been wanting to buy a Model 60 for years since I used a friends and could drive tacks with it. Finally bought one a couple of weeks ago, but haven't had a chance to shoot it due to the recent bad weather. I guess I'll have to wait to see if the accuracy went south with the new factory. As far as good shooters, my son has a Mossberg Plinkster that is amazing. The price was around $120, but may be higher now. I've got a Ruger 10/22 that is OK, but I hate the crappy 10 round mags. Bought a 25 round factory mag recently that works good, but still wears out your thumb.