Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 12:25 AM

I got a new Marlin 795 recently, and it groups as well or better than my bolt-action .22s. I picked up some extra 10-round mags from Brownells, put a 4x scope and a web sling on it, and plan on using it at my next Appleseed shoot.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:27 AM

Mossberg plinkster 107 at local walmart
Old 02-25-2013, 08:05 AM

The most accurate out of the box 22 semi-auto that I have seen, is the Thompson-Center series. I have a Classic and it will shoot 1" 100 yard groups. It is no longer being made.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:34 AM

Another interesting semi-auto is the CZ 512. Uses 452 series mags and will cycle anything 700fps and faster. I've never owned a .22 semi-auto that was so indifferent to ammo. Accuracy is perhaps not as good as the typical CZ bolt, I'd put mine at about 1.5MOA. Perfect for the Rimfire Sporter game which is why I have it.
The rifle has been listed in the catalog for about 3 years but it's not very common. It's also expensive relative to other rifles, I paid $400 for a lightly used one. Not everyone's cup of coffee but a fine semi-auto.

Speed loaders for tube fed rifles can be as simple as a plastic soda straw. I've made some very nice ones from 5/8" brass tube. The tube comes in 3 foot lengths and can be cut to the magazine capacity of your rifle. Think Spencer Rifle cartridge box.
Slaves don't dream of being free. They dream of being masters. ~ August Stetten

Last edited by presidentg; 02-25-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by presidentg View Post
Speed loaders for tube fed rifles can be as simple as a plastic soda straw. I've made some very nice ones from 5/8" brass tube. The tube comes in 3 foot lengths and can be cut to the magazine capacity of your rifle. Think Spencer Rifle cartridge box.
There used to be a company making these in six-packs in various lengths. I'll be !@#$ed if I remember who.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:55 PM

Would love to hear of real ammo / gun range reports on any SA .22. The anecdotal stories don't help someone trying tomake a decision.

I have 3 SA .22's; a stock Ruger 10/22, Win 63 (20"), and Win 63 (24"). I wouldn't use any of them in a situation where accuracy counted, like a match.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:57 PM

I've also got an older (mid 80's) Model 60. It will outshoot the 10/22 I got for my daughter a couple of years ago. Not by much, but there is a slight edge.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:13 PM

Has anyone experience with a Savage 64? Fairly inexpensive but Savage seems to be producing accurate rifles in last few years.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:21 PM

I have a Savage 64, probably paid about $115 for it. It's probably the last semi-auto to feature an all steel receiver. I've had zero trouble with it and while accuracy was so so when I first got it. a light touch up of the crown has it shooting around 1.5MOA. Magazines are both cheap and durable but only available in 10 rd.
certainly worth considering.
Slaves don't dream of being free. They dream of being masters. ~ August Stetten
Old 02-25-2013, 10:02 PM

I have a Ruger 10/22T with the heavy target barrel and it shoots really well. I can consistently get better groups with it over my bolt actions when shooting from the prone or sitting position when the weight is not a factor. But when I go to the standing position, I am much more accurate with my M44 as it is lighter to hold on target.