Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 10:09 PM

Take a look at the rimfire sporter match results from Camp Perry on the competition tracker. The results list the rifle used by the competitor. The top 25 competitors for the various years should give you a good sample to draw from after filtering out the bolt guns.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:41 PM

I shot "rifleman" in Appleseed with a new Ruger 10/22 carbine (base model), that's as accurate as I needed it to be. I'll soon be selling it because I recently got a Remington 521-T (bolt action).
Old 02-26-2013, 08:02 PM

I would have to include the Weatherby Mark XXII
Old 02-27-2013, 06:13 PM

Does anyone else have experience with Remington 552 and 597?
Old 02-28-2013, 11:29 AM

I purchased one of the 597 VTR rifles when they were first introduced. Rumor was the early bull barrels were stinko and mine didn't shoot very well. I later replaced it with a Jarvis barrel, an expensive fix. I believe Remington fixed that issue several years ago. The rifle has a rather heavy trigger which can be improve a bit with a decent trigger job, though there's only a little that can be done. I believe Jard makes a replacement trigger but it's expensive.
The 597s I've seen at Appleseeds over the last 2 years show them to be on par with other semi-autos in their price range. The shooters using them were very satisfied with them.
Slaves don't dream of being free. They dream of being masters. ~ August Stetten
Old 02-28-2013, 12:31 PM

I have a Marlin 70P (relative to the 60 that has been mentioned often above). It is extremely accurate, better than I am.
I have heard nothing but good things about accuracy of the Marlin Model 60's, and this thread reinforces that impression.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:24 PM

The Marlin Model 60 is very good as an off-the-shelf rifle but I believe that the Thompson Center is the most accurate semi-auto I've seen as it comes from the factory.

In my experience, the run of the mill Ruger 10/22 is like shooting gravel from a sling shot; terrible accuracy out of the box an not at all helped by the horrible triggers! OTOH, they can be turned into a 50 yard one-hole rifle IF you're willing to spend the money.

That's MY experience but YMMV.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:19 PM

what kind of groups are you getting with these?
Old 02-28-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave tengdin View Post
what kind of groups are you getting with these?
My Marlin Model 60 would shoot 50 yards groups under 3/4 of an inch. I sold it a few months back. It was a stainless model.

Here's one of my modified 10/22 groups. Green Mt. bull barrel, stock trigger lightened by me, extended mag release and mounted in a Boyd's stock. Leupold base & rings. Not sure which scope I had on it at the time as I swapped it out before giving the rifle to my oldest son. I have another for my youngest son with a stainless "Whiteface Mt." barrel that maybe, on average, more accurate.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:07 PM

I must say I am a 10/22 fan. I have one I put a heavy barrel on and added a Volquartsen trigger job to with a 12X bushnell. With Eley, I had shot consistent 5 shot groups at 100 yards of around an inch with .96 being my best. Tried some of the Wolf match and it was by far outshooting the Eley in my rifle. I shot two 5 shot groups with it and one measures .4675 and the other just over .5 inch. Only other thing I did was add a poly bolt buffer. Just recently tried the Wolf to have something to do different and started reading and to my understanding the Wolf 22 is manufactured in the same plant as Lapua. When the craze is over, I will be buying more. If you want I can snap pictures of the target and post them.