Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 09:42 AM

Hmmm. If my skills and equipment were above the hacksaw level, I'd be tempted. I've customized more than my share of 10/22s and believe me, they end up costing more than a rusty to get comparable accuracy.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:47 AM

I guess, each to his own.
Not my cup of tea. A shorter barrel makes it more accurate, that would have to be proved to me. I am from the old school when it comes to this type of rifle. If it was so the manufacture would have made it that way. I couldn't take an expensive rifle and make it worth so much less than a cheap rifle.

Just my $.02 worth.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
I guess, each to his own.
Not my cup of tea. A shorter barrel makes it more accurate, that would have to be proved to me. I am from the old school when it comes to this type of rifle. If it was so the manufacture would have made it that way. I couldn't take an expensive rifle and make it worth so much less than a cheap rifle.

Just my $.02 worth.
The shorter vs. longer accuracy debate was over a long time ago -
This rifle was configured that way because the military specíd it that way, not because it would be the most accurate.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Attack View Post
Wow. Different Definitely Different. If It meets Your Needs Then Good For You. How Does She group Now Compared Before Her Surgery?
It always amazes me Ė take this rifle apart completely, chuck it in my lathe, cut/crown the barrel. Drill/tap front sight, strip finish off stock/apply new finish. Pillar bed the action and assemble. Take it to the range and itís two clicks off in elevation.
It seems to group just like it did before, but where it use to be very sensitive to different brands of ammo Ė it now seems to like everything Iíve fed it.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
Is that maple? Sure looks like it.
That would be my guess - it is pretty nice piece of wood to hide under the brown paint.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:24 AM

The stock could use to go on a diet... I believe that's what really bugs me about the modification... the stock looks like a railroad tie, now more than ever, with the shortened barrel... as a varmint rifle, this stock is not well suited to be a carry rifle... and I'm more of a brunette man myself. I rather like scout rifles myself; fix the stock girth, and you'll have a nice manageable accurate "hunter"

WWG1WGA
Old 03-24-2013, 11:06 AM

I don't care for it but no matter what anyone says, if you are pleased with it then that is all that counts. I enjoy mine as they came, Grand Canyon knife cuts and all.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 AM

Plus one on the short barrel accuracy. My Hunter MKIII Ruger will shoot rings around my Anschutz 1813, M52D and 40XB at 100 yards! At least 1ft rings around the others!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:45 AM

Thank you for making my Kimber a little more valuable.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:19 PM

Personally I kind of like it.