Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincalc View Post
You can bring up the rear sight or bring down the front. Get a spare front post and whittle it down, little by little, which was my first 1000yd solution for my CG63. OR a clear disc insert - drill a new hole about halfway between the center hole and the bottom. OR raise the rear sight. I used a piece of 1/8 inch aluminum stock with real good effect. Drill a couple of appropriate holes to match up with the rear sight holes, install with longer machine screws. The numerals on the sight won't work any more - you'll have to sight it in then mark down which yard mark works best at two hundred. As I'm in Apple land the standard trajectory programs don't work in my computer - if you're in the same boat, maybe someone here can crank out how much (inches, mm or whatever you use) you'd have to raise the rear sight to get on paper at that range.
The rear sight just reads Redfield with a 0-45 scale on the elevation scale. I was hoping to just get a longer elevation screw.
The front sight actually says Redfield international match. Then marked near the base it's stamped 50 yards. I like the aperture(cirlce) front sight vs a post.
Thought they might have 100 yard globe front sights or such. Just looking at the way the front base is even with the small front globe I have I'm only gaining about 2moa
Old 11-10-2015, 09:42 PM

I'm not sure about what's available for the Redfield ( or most other ) sights. I usually end up going way outside the box to solve problems. That's how I ended up shimming up my rear sight an eighth of an inch in my example. That particular rear sight was calibrated up to 500, With the shim, it shot well at 1000 yds when set at 450 ( not a 22LR- did I mention that? same general principle tho'). Tinkering with the rear sight made it all work better than trying to do something with the front. The best practical thing to do with the front (my opinion) would be to somehow lower the base, but that doesn't sound at all feasible here. I did have that Redfield, btw, back when I was shooting the H&R 12. It's a good sight.

Last edited by captaincalc; 11-10-2015 at 09:43 PM. Reason: clear a point up
Old 11-10-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
. . . a olympic globe sight up front . . .
Quote:
The front sight actually says Redfield international match.
Hmm. Moving target?

Dunno why I didn't think of this sooner:

Can you pick out your sights?
Old 11-11-2015, 07:06 AM

2nd down from top for globe, and it looks like the #75.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
2nd down from top for globe, and it looks like the #75.
That's a very good front sight (International Smallbore), but looks oversized on a 513T, IMHO.

Redfield's original plan for the 513T involved a 75 rear and a 60-series up front. See from the 1941 catalog:

Look at the lower left corner. It shows a high mount. These are hard to find, but they do show up on eBay from time to time.

You could use a Steve Earle mount for the 513T (intended for the Redfield Olympic rear) and modify your sight to use a 10-32 screw instead of the oem 8-40.

Click here and look at the fourth item from the top.

Alternatively, Steve Earle may have a lower front sight mount for you, depending on how your sight is mounted. Poke around the web site - lots of good stuff there.

Also, there is a taller version of the Redfield 75, originally made for the Remington 540X:

Old 11-11-2015, 02:13 PM

Captaincalc, one of the, no THE first app I bought was a ballistic one fo my iPod, I will have to go home and see which one it is.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:12 PM

Default Revisted

Ok so I'm not having any luck finding the base that goes higher with out more alterations. So that leaves finding a lower globe.

Right now as my rifle sits I am maxed out on elevation.
5th line after the 30 before the threads come out of the base. This puts center of group,at the top of the 9 ring low8 .right now I'm shooting off the bench.

Not sure how much higher I need to be... I figure have to be a good 15" high of poa at 100 yards to get on paper at 200.

So I then need to figure out where my impact should be at 100 for 200 yards.
Then figure out the change needed for front sight height.

Ideally doing this at 25 yards would be easier for me as 25 yards range is more accessible to me.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:11 PM

If you are zeroed at 50 yds crank the elevation up till the bullets hit 13 to 13 1/2 high on target at 50 yds. You will now be real close at 200 yds. This is for ammo in the 1050 to 1060 fps range. Wayne

Added: If I figured right with 50 yd zero to be on target at 200 yds your front sight would have to be .085 lower. Without moving the rear sight.

Last edited by schutzen; 11-29-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:46 AM

Well I hope to have my new computer soon. Then I can down load the target and ballistic software then figure it out.

I do not shoot anything other than SV ammo wolf match, aquila, and some cmp "target" in the blue and gold box. Centerion?

What I need to do is,get the front sight off and see what it takes to get the dove tail fixed up. Previous owner mangled it.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:02 AM

Default sight

I have a sight that I think is the high version of the 75, I will hunt it up today and let you know--it may what you are needing!