Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2016, 10:03 PM

Getting in on this late.

If the front globe is stamped "50" or "50 yard" I do not believe it is a Redfield International or Olympic.

Al Freeland (and maybe some others) sold globe front sights in pairs with the correct elevation change built in for 50 and 100 yards. The sights were stamped with the intended yardage. It is not the insert, it is the centerline height of the sight tube.

Reason being the standard smallbore prone course of fire included both 50 and 100 yards. Instead of wearing out the rear sight elevation adjustment, you simply swapped front sights when changing yardages.

There are also "two-step" front sight bases available. For 50 yd install the sight on the high step, for 100 put it on the low step.

I have not used a Redfield Model 75 rear. The Redfield International and Olympic rear sights had plenty of elevation adjustment to zero from 50 to 100 yards with .22 LR. This depends on the correct height rear sight base and front sight base being on the rifle.

The bases for International and Olympic rears came in different heights. I do not know if that is true for the Model 75 rear on the 513T.

The front sight bases are generic and come in a variety of heights.

If swapping front sight bases you ought to be able to find one which will give a 50 foot elevation zero when the rear sight is maybe 10 to 12 clicks from the bottom. 50 foot being the shortest NRA sanctioned match distance.

Front and rear Redfield sight bases are available from Champions Choice and Champion Shooters Supply.

ref: .22 LR standard velocity (1,100 ft/sec) "come-ups":
--from 50 yd to 100 yd add 8 MOA
--from 100 yd to 200 yd add 18 MOA
“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)

Last edited by NMC_EXP; 01-19-2016 at 04:25 PM. Reason: define standard velocity
Old 01-18-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMC_EXP View Post
The bases for International and Olympic rears came in different heights. I do not know if that is true for the Model 75 rear on the 513T.
The Redfield 75 rear sight base for the 513T came in two heights, the taller base identified as being used on scoped rifles:

The scope height bases are hard to find these days.

Quote:
The front sight bases are generic and come in a variety of heights.
Not for the 513T.

Original configuration was a dovetail in the barrel and use of an adapter. These adapters did come in a few different heights and are currently available from Steve Earle Products.

When the Army specified a post style sight for the 513 (based on the sight from the 5-teen P series rifles), that sight used two oddball-sized screws. 513T barrels can be found in three configurations: (1) dovetail only, (2) threaded holes only, and (3) dovetail and threaded holes. Here's a picture of the third:

Post-WWII, Redfield made front sight bases in two heights to adapt surplus rifles with threaded holes to use clamp mount front sights. These came in two heights and are sometimes seen on eBay. Others have also made these bases, Steve Earle

and Ken Viani:

It's not obvious, but the screw hole spacing Remington chose for these (1.15" IIRC) conformed to the 5-teen P front sight, not industry standard for front sight blocks (0.560").
Old 01-18-2016, 10:37 AM

edlmann

Excellent info on 513T sights.

What is your opinion on a globe front stamped "50"?
“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)
Old 01-19-2016, 06:53 AM

I finally got my new computer and will post better pics. My three kids have all been sick since before Christmas rotating germ factory !
My 513T has the dove tail and threaded barrel. Dove tail is fubar.
I have the Ken V scope mount and front base....awesome stuff by the way.
The 513 with men's,mount and my scope are a joy to shoot.
I have been trying to get to the 513 to measure the current front globe and see which globe may work..... I figured I needed about 13moa more from my 100 yard zero to get to 200.

Thank you .....I'm slow getting back to projects
Old 01-19-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Al Freeland (and maybe some others) sold globe front sights in pairs with the correct elevation change built in for 50 and 100 yards. The sights were stamped with the intended yardage. It is not the insert, it is the centerline height of the sight tube.
Quote:
What is your opinion on a globe front stamped "50"?
I'm with you - it's definitely not a Redfield, or a Lyman for that matter.

Stroebel's book is the best general source available, but he doesn't get into the weeds with the specialty shops. If someone had an old Freeland catalog, that might help. But, it might be one of the other makers.

The value of having a picture to examine can't be overestimated.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:42 PM

Default Forgot this:

Steve Earle is making a 513T mount for the large format Redfield sights (Olympic, International, Palma and clones):

This should give plenty of height to the rear sight.

See here for details.

Last edited by edlmann; 01-19-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:57 PM

Default here is the sight I have up front

Old 01-21-2016, 06:59 PM

don't know why they are so big ?

Old 01-21-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
Steve Earle is making a 513T mount for the large format Redfield sights (Olympic, International, Palma and clones):

See here for details.
awesomwe but I think the KenV scope mount is about the same height and im 13moa shy with that set up.

The globe sight sits on a Ken v front sight base.

Last edited by mac1911; 01-22-2016 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post

See here for details.
awesomwe but I think the KenV scope mount is about the same height and im 13moa shy with that set up.

The globe sight sits on a Ken v front sight base.
I think the Viani mount raises the line of sight 0.375" (⅜"), but the above mount should be 0.500" (½") higher. You'll need to confirm.

BTW, your front sight is definitely a Redfield International smallbore, but I don't think the Redfield factory put that "50 YDS" marking on it. I've got Redfield catalogs from several years and I've never seen more than one type cataloged.

Last edited by edlmann; 01-22-2016 at 09:24 AM.