Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2011, 06:07 PM

What are you planning to do with the Anschutz? They are damned expensive, damned expensive to feed and damned expensive to outfit. It would be one heck of a squirrel rifle though.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippysrifle View Post
A 40-X is not even close to an Anschutz and a Winchester 52 isn't either. Time has passed them by.
A poor marksman with an Anschutz is no match for a good marksman with a 40X or a 52D But a good marksman with an Anschutz...... Remember the Anschutz motto - "Die Meister Macher"
Old 06-13-2011, 06:15 PM

Anschutz rifles are expensive these days, especially with the current exchange rates. If you go to Camp Perry during the smallbore matches, you will see a lot of Anschutz rifles and few American rifles. There are other European rifles other than Anschutz that people use but they are harder to find. Some people compete with the older rifles and some people have custom rifles. The real question is how much do you want to spend.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy's rifle View Post
A 40-X is not even close to an Anschutz and a Winchester 52 isn't either. Time has passed them by.
anschutz has not changed their action design since wwii, fact is their design came from many fine rifle makers in ulm and suhl germany in the 30's. their actions and barrels are now far behind walther,bleiker and several others. the reason they are branching into centfire is their falling sales and their is a reason for that it happens to every company that refuse to change and move into the present and future.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:52 PM

OK, here's what I'll do. Next visit to the range I'll set up a 40X, a 52B and an Anschutz 1913 side by side. I'll sit attentively and watch to see which shoots itself best. I'm excited about the outcome but won't be able to do this til Sunday. Watch for my report next Monday.
Slaves don't dream of being free. They dream of being masters. ~ August Stetten
Old 06-13-2011, 07:03 PM

presidentg, take your 40x put a jewell trigger in it and buy a sitman stock bedded and for less than you have tied up in your 1913 you will have a far more accurate rifle. most people who buy an anschutz the first thing they do is take it someone like alex sitman to bed it and that's just the way it is.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:41 AM

I think you missed the element about the rifles shooting themselves. As I said before, the "Wingnut" behind the trigger is the determining factor in results on target. Same vein as PGH Collector's informed post.
WMC

Last edited by Super Duty-KTP; 06-14-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:12 AM

MLHSR- I've given the wrong impression here, if I could only have one rifle it would be my USMC 40X. I had tried for years to buy a .22lr 40X from several gents I know without success. When the CMP offered them in '07 I was relentless in my efforts to buy one. I was able to buy 2, a USMC Standard barrel and a Heavy barrel. As far as I'm concerned the 40X is the high water mark for .22lr rifles. No rifle is better and none ever will be. We're talking about true love.
My point concerning comparing the top level competition rifles is that the accuracy differences are too small to be concerned about.
Shooter skill makes those differences a moot point. I'm not a benchrest shooter, I'm a position shooter. As long as I trust that the rifle I'm using is up to the job, how well I use that rifle is all on me.
The real questions here are...Where can I find a mint .22lr 40X sporter and where can I find the money to pay for it???

PS- Yes the 1913 was VERY expensive but you know, I just had to have one.
Slaves don't dream of being free. They dream of being masters. ~ August Stetten

Last edited by presidentg; 06-14-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:43 AM

Just my opinion and observation of surplus military .22 rifles:

It's my opinion that the Win 52D is the most accurate, given everything else is equal with these rifles. If all accuracy factors on the rifles are equal, the Win 52D seems to shoot smaller groups.

This is based on many 40X and Win 52 rifles that I have observed that came out of the CMP for many years. There will be individual rifles that are just tack drivers with the right ammo. However, overall as a group, I beleieve the Win. 52D to be more accurate.

The Win 52D chamber is a very good design. Triggers are good. The stock bbl. of a 52D seems more accurate that a stock Rem. bbl.

These observations come from benchrest firing, with top notch bench equipment, bench, wind flags, conditions, etc.

The only problem with the Win. rifles is that if some thing breaks, it will be very expensive to fix--if you can find the parts. Rem. parts are still being made and you can outfit a 40X almost any way you would like.

HTH
Old 06-14-2011, 10:02 AM

Back when I shot on my high school rifle team, we used thumbtacks to hold our targets to the backstop. Occasionally, we would literally "drive tacks" through the backstop at 50 feet with our 52D HB's with the 3 lb. triggers and Redfield International sights. I think they are plenty accurate enough.