Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP10-32 View Post
Just my opinion and observation of surplus military .22 rifles:

It's my opinion that the Win 52D is the most accurate, given everything else is equal with these rifles. If all accuracy factors on the rifles are equal, the Win 52D seems to shoot smaller groups.

This is based on many 40X and Win 52 rifles that I have observed that came out of the CMP for many years. There will be individual rifles that are just tack drivers with the right ammo. However, overall as a group, I beleieve the Win. 52D to be more accurate.

The Win 52D chamber is a very good design. Triggers are good. The stock bbl. of a 52D seems more accurate that a stock Rem. bbl.

These observations come from benchrest firing, with top notch bench equipment, bench, wind flags, conditions, etc.

The only problem with the Win. rifles is that if some thing breaks, it will be very expensive to fix--if you can find the parts. Rem. parts are still being made and you can outfit a 40X almost any way you would like.

HTH
I guess we all have our favorites and opinions:

This is mine:
I was on a JROTC rifle team back when I was in high school in 1961-1963 (dern I'm telling my age) and we had Rem. 40XH and Rem. 513T rifles. we never used the 513T's in competition because they were not as consistently repetitive as the 40X's. We shot against other teams that had the Win. 52's and I really don't remember any of those teams bettering our scores. Of course it could be that our team was just better shooters, but I think that it was in large part the Rem 40XH rifles and our instructor.

I will always believe that the Remington 40X rifle is, was and always will be the the most accurate .22LR target rifle I have ever had the privilege to shoot.

This is my 40XB
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxRwj_i

Jim
Old 06-14-2011, 07:07 PM

I have shot just about all the different kinds of 22's there are. The best in my opinion is the 40X B series. It seems that you guys have the first series based on the 721 action.

This is a target from one of my 40X's that I sporterized. The info is correct on the target. 100 yards off the bench and with the old Win. Power Points. I have several 1/2" groups but not with 4 shots touching. You can't beat a 40X.

John

Last edited by jpickar; 06-15-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpickar View Post
I have shot just about all the different kinds of 22's there is. The best in my opinion is the 40X B series. It seems that you guys have the first series based on the 721 action.

This is a target from ome of my 40X's that I sporterized. The info is correct on the target. 100 yards off the bench and with the old Win. Power Points. I have several 1/2" groups but not with 4 shots touching. You can't beat a 40X.

John

Had to go check and make sure my 40-XR was still in the safe.lol Looks just like yourin except for the scope. Nice looking rig. They are sweet!!!!
Old 06-15-2011, 08:29 AM

I own a 40-XB with a standard barrel which I purchased new in 1963 and an Anschutz 1413 (Model 54 action with an international stock) which I purchased used about 15 years ago. The date on the Anschutz' barrel is 1972, which agrees with the probable date of manufacture. I have fired both rifles at 50, 100 and 200 from a bench (as well as position shooting) and, although they have different preferences in ammunition, I found no noticable differences in accuracy when each was shooting its favorite ammo. I'm pretty sure the 52 is also in this category, but I don't have any first-hand experience with it.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpickar View Post
I have shot just about all the different kinds of 22's there are. The best in my opinion is the 40X B series. It seems that you guys have the first series based on the 721 action.

This is a target from one of my 40X's that I sporterized. The info is correct on the target. 100 yards off the bench and with the old Win. Power Points. I have several 1/2" groups but not with 4 shots touching. You can't beat a 40X.

John

Very nice looking rifle, It looks almost identical to my Rem. 700ADL long action (30-06).

The photo below is of my 40XB Mfg in 1965 and my 700ADL I bought for $150 some years ago and is a great shooter and never had any problems with the safety.

http://postimage.org/image/5mm1qf6s/

Jim
Old 06-15-2011, 11:33 AM

I have made a few sporters. They are easy. Remove the barrel, turn the barrel to sporter contour, blue and reinstall the barrel. Find a short action stock and install the barreled action in the stock and you are done. I chose the press checkered stock to match my 700 ADL in 30-06 I bought new in 1976.

I am not a fan of press checkering, but I am attached to my 700 in 30-06 and my 7mm Exp. Rem. that have press checkered stocks.

Here is my target 40X. I have a 6.5 X 20 Leupold air rifle scope on it.

John

Old 06-15-2011, 11:48 AM

That is also a beautiful rifle and I know that it has to be a great shooter same as mine and all the other 40X rifles I have had the privilege to shoot.

Jim
Old 06-15-2011, 01:35 PM

when you find a 40X with a 2 OUNCE trigger and a factory choked barrel/muzzle, let me know..

I owned a Anshutz 54 rifle that someone converted into a full-blown BR rifle in a McMillan stock etc. and it was ridiculously accurate. EASILY the most accurate .22LR rifle I have ever shot (and I have owned just about EVERY match rifle you can think of including all of the above mentioned--the 40X I got and refinished from CMP is below--long gone). I only paid somehting like 600 bucks for the Anshutz and ended up selling it about a year later because 1: it was BIG and HEAVY; 2: not anything I needed--not a practical rifle for squirrel!@; and 3: it was so accurate it was BORING--not kidding at all.

For hunting or plinking, I have a CZ 453HB that is more than good enough for that and a decent 'Hopsonized' 10-22, plus an old CMP 513T if I want to get nostalgic about match rifle...

The 40X is a nice rifle, but for custom smithies, the only thing they want is the receiver..

Last edited by HughUno; 06-15-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:23 PM

Any targets to show us the boring accurracy with?

My 40X is factory original except for the barrel contouring. And it shoots that good at 100 yds. Yours was a total custom job it sounds like. Big difference.

John

Last edited by jpickar; 06-15-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:52 PM

ok let me get this right. get rid of a 40x and 54 to shoot a 10-22 right........lol..........