Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2021, 02:10 PM

Default Krag Rifle Forearm?

Oh the joy of the hunt! Over the last several months have found two ... both beyond my money! One went for a little over $300 and ...yesterday evening ... someone went all the way up to $485 for a cracked 1902 hand guard.

So ... I got myself an idea. If I could find a drawing or some good pictures / photographs ... maybe even dimensions ... possibly I could take my time and make a hand guard. Given the difficulty of finding a specimen and given the price when found, making one looks to be a very workable solution. It would allow a placeholder until the genuine article could be located/purchased.

What do you all think? Pipe dream? Anyone know of a source for such information?

Sitting here on the coast of Georgia ... with my Krag rifle ... and just needing that little bit of pretty wood!

Sincerely. bruce.
Old 11-10-2021, 02:44 PM

Your title says “forearm” . . .your text says “handguard” . . . .

Which are you needing?

If handguard, you’ll need the clip for attachment as well.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:04 PM

Good source of "real" wood might be an old drill rifle stock of maybe a real beat up other 03 stock or a beat up broken Krag stock. Right wood right age etc. And you could make a number of them from one stock.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:31 PM

I apologize. I have been running like a chicken with his head cut off. We have a 125th Anniversary at the church Sunday morning and there are a lot of moving parts that have to be coordinated.

I made a mistake. I wrote "forend." What I need is the hand guard.

The rifle is fitted with the 1902 rear sight, i.e., the one that has the little peep sight that pivots up and down on the rear sight blade.

I apologize for my error. Hopefully I will be better at writing, etc. tomorrow morning.

Sincerely.

Bruce
Old 11-10-2021, 11:00 PM

I'm not intimately familiar with Krag handguards. But for starters, I would investigate the feasibility of chopping up or modifying an M1903 or M'03-A3 handguard into a Krag handguard.

Just a thought.

J.B.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
I'm not intimately familiar with Krag handguards. But for starters, I would investigate the feasibility of chopping up or modifying an M1903 or M'03-A3 handguard into a Krag handguard.

Just a thought.

J.B.
Is this a viable option? I have an 1899 carbine that's missing an upper handguard. Since COVID, all the repro sites have dried up and they aren't making them at present (even the site listed above). I am willing to work a 1903 handguard into a quasi 1899 handguard..... but is it possible?

olBEAR
Old 11-14-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olBEAR View Post
Is this a viable option? I have an 1899 carbine that's missing an upper handguard. Since COVID, all the repro sites have dried up and they aren't making them at present (even the site listed above). I am willing to work a 1903 handguard into a quasi 1899 handguard..... but is it possible?

olBEAR
I have never modified an 03A3 or 1903 handguard to fit a Krag. However, It seems a feasible project to me.

If you have the outside dimensions of your Krag stock, such as width forward of the receiver and the width just forward of the stock band/forward swivel, you could trim an 03A3 handguard to fit.

From the look of the photos posted, you would also have to make a cut-out in the handguard to accomodate the rear sight.

This would certainly be an easier job than trying to completely machine cut one from solid wood. The 03A3 handguard is rather thin, and already has the over-all contour and shape of what you would need.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:05 PM

There are blanks available on eBay right now. I have no experience with these but seems like a lot easier to start with than a 1903. No affiliation with the seller, just a Krag fan.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14419502981...MAAOSwDYdhO4mV
Old 11-15-2021, 11:10 AM

navyrifleman and USMA-1982'
Thank you for your replies. Definitely food for thought.

olBEAR
Old 11-10-2021, 11:38 PM

Used to be a company at Statesboro, GA that made them.