Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2021, 11:54 PM

Default 1898 30/40 Krag Serial #247150 with pictures-hopefully in order...

Produced between July 1899 and July 1900.
Finally got some pictures, I hope they show up in the post. I think what I have is an 1898 CMP/NRA rifle, I am hoping someone can confirm, refute or add information as I only have Mallory as a guide and there are some details that are a little unclear.
It is in great condition, but has been sitting in a safe for 20 years while I was in the military. I used to hunt with it when I was a teenager and It performs beautifully, except for the front sight issues which led to some decisions that I regret.

The only still visible mark on the barrel is the P for passed stamped under the stock near the receiver. Yes the barrel was sanded. (regrettable decision #1)
Old 11-21-2021, 11:55 PM

Default #2

I know there were barrels made 22", 26" and 30" and many longer barrels were cut down to 22" and 26". Where I am a little stumped is that this barrel is 24". I have seen some sources that said some 24" barrels were produced but I can't confirm and I don't know if it was cut or original.

The cut off tab and bolt appear to be correct there are no markings on receiver.

Old 11-21-2021, 11:57 PM

It was inlaid over any possible cartouches at some point and a palm grip added, probably at the same time. A white line recoil pad was added at some point after 1935 (which is when they began production of white line pads) which may have all happened at once but no way to know at this point.

Old 11-21-2021, 11:59 PM

Default #4

Handguard or sight guard is not there.
It has a 1902 sight with the serrated leaf but is missing the windage and slide knobs, peep sight possibly filed down, the V is not that pronounced in examples i have seen but not sure. It is Stamped P.

Front sight is mangled, (regrettable decision #3, however it was not in great shape when I got it so not entirely my fault) unable to tell if it is the original. There may be a slot insert, but has not been visible above thick base since I have owned the rifle. (The reason, I suspect, why the peep site may have been filed, which was done before I inherited the rifle)

Last edited by Krfoote; 11-22-2021 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:15 AM

When some were cut down to make drill/parade rifles, they were cut to 24 inches to make them like the 1903 Springfield length, to conform.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:17 AM

My cow! If that rifle could talk ... the tales it would tell! Yes it has been sporterized as were many Krags. The muzzle looks altered which would explain the front sight base. The front sight blade or what is left of it is in the slot. What is the condition of the bore? Sincerely. bruce.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce View Post
My cow! If that rifle could talk ... the tales it would tell! Yes it has been sporterized as were many Krags. The muzzle looks altered which would explain the front sight base. The front sight blade or what is left of it is in the slot. What is the condition of the bore? Sincerely. bruce.
The bore is in great condition. It could use a little TLC since it's been sitting for 20 years. There is a little "dirt" or gunk that needs cleaned out that is visible in a few pictures but there is no rust in the barrel and rifling is still good. (4 grooves)

The last time It was shot there were no issues whatsoever.
Old 11-22-2021, 02:57 PM

Two courses of action maybe. One, leave it as-is and use it to generate some venison. Two, apply some TLC and make it more representative of a carbine or NRA Sales rifle. If the latter, were it me, I would replace the stock with a repro carbine stock, leave the metal alone (except maybe to replace the bodgered trigger guard and the severely pitted side plate - both of which are to be had cheaply), and finally cut the barrel back even farther to 22" and install a correct Krag front sight, again pretty cheap. Luckily it sounds like the bore is ok, but if it turns out to be screwed up the easiest solution is a Criterion replacement barrel - around $200+change, plus cost of fitting which is an easy chore for someone who understands the rifles.

If you go with solution #2, definitely hang onto the current stock. There is a certain little bit of charm in such things from a folk art standpoint!
Old 11-22-2021, 07:16 PM

[QUOTE=Krfoote;2094485 . . . . .
Does the stock appear to be an 1899 carbine ? . . . . ..[/QUOTE]

No . . . .AUTHENTIC carbines had NO SLING SWIVELS!
Old 11-22-2021, 03:46 PM

As said,the rifle has been sproterized. The 1902 rear sight is in need of replacement. The windage knob has been replaced with a nut and the elevation knob is missing. Much easier to replace the sight then repair.