Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2021, 10:16 AM

Default 03-A3 Front Sight Base Questions

I'm in the process of re-barreling my 03-A3 with a criterion barrel.

Focusing on swapping over the FSB. It doesn't really want to budge despite a bunch of encouragement. Probably best to just leave it on.

Thinking of just buying a new FSB, pin and key.

Looking at the FSB, there is no pin and it doesn't appear the key is notched either. This is a 1944 replacement RA barrel, but who knows when it was installed.

I've read the keys didn't come notched and they were drilled when the sights were installed. Should I even bother doing this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:16 PM

You should be able to remove the FSB with some heat and a brass drift. If you are able to remove it along with the original key, it should line up back together on your new barrel. But if the key is slightly misaligned, you could run a drill bit through to clean up the notch.
Old 12-04-2021, 04:15 PM

The keys were pre-notched. And I will also point out that the notch is NOT in the center of the key. So the key has a front and rear. Make note before you install it.

J.B.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:56 PM

When you say there is no pin has it already been removed? As long as the pin is out it should come off with a brass hammer

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2021, 01:07 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words.
If the pin holding the FSB has been removed, the base will come off. They can be really hard to remove. I use a block of wood and a heavy hammer.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw617 View Post
I'm in the process of re-barreling my 03-A3 with a criterion barrel.

Focusing on swapping over the FSB. It doesn't really want to budge despite a bunch of encouragement. Probably best to just leave it on.

Thinking of just buying a new FSB, pin and key.

Looking at the FSB, there is no pin and it doesn't appear the key is notched either. This is a 1944 replacement RA barrel, but who knows when it was installed.

I've read the keys didn't come notched and they were drilled when the sights were installed. Should I even bother doing this?

Thanks in advance.
Just for you. I had this drill rifle barrel sitting outside by my trash can for months. Remove pin then tap the base off with brass hammer. Muzzle should be resting on a block of wood. I put it on garage floor for solid backing.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2021, 05:18 PM

Thanks everyone. Yes, I understand the general principal. My question was more along the line of "how tough are they to get off". Just don't want any colateral damage on the old barrel, it's still good. I guess I'll try a little more force, been side tracked with a few other items since I made this post.

Regarding the pin. I've owned this rifle for 8-9 years and have not messed with the FSB. The pin is MISSING and if I look through the hole, I can see the key is in the way, so I could not insert a pin even if I wanted to. Wondering if when they re-barreled the rifle, they banged the FSB on and said "good enough".
Old 12-06-2021, 05:21 PM

Use a heat gun, hardwood block, metric hammer and stand the muzzle on a wood base. It will come off. Good Shooting
Old 12-07-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Use a heat gun, hardwood block, metric hammer and stand the muzzle on a wood base. It will come off. Good Shooting
“Metric hammer”?? . . .
Almost choked on my coffee that’s in my “left-handed coffee cup!”
Old 12-08-2021, 06:24 PM

Gave the FSB a good whack with a 1/2 brass drift and it came right off.

Thanks everyone.