Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-02-2021, 10:24 AM
tgoldie00 tgoldie00 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: SW Ohio, USA
Posts: 33
Default 1903 Mark I, 1943 USMC barrel

I have found a local seller offering a seemingly decent condition 1903 Mark 1, but rebarreled with a 1943 USMC barrel.

I am awaiting a number of pictures but this seems to be a bit of an anomaly - I canít be a USMC rifle as they didnít issue Mark 1 rifles (either way the barrel date is too late regardless).

So then the question is who did the work and is it one of the ďbentĒ barrels, or was it an authentic Arsenal rebuild.

The stock has a JFC acceptance stamp so thatís favorable to a Mark 1 original stock. Small parts appear to have been removed as far as I can tell from the couple of pics I have seen.

If anyone has seen some of these in the wild I would love to know what Iím getting into here. I know a bit about 1903s but really not much about the Mark I. Again - the primary concern is how a USMC barrel ended up on this rifle and the little research I have done leads me to believe it wasnít done in an official capacity (but CMP perhaps?).

Many thanks in advance. As I get pics Iíll post them.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-02-2021, 06:22 PM
kb1903 kb1903 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: s/e pa.
Posts: 181
Default Mk 1 with USMC Barrel

I have one of these also, have had it for 30 years, mine has the Mk stock, PLUS, it came with the wide USMC front sight, the correct rear #10 sight, and an original USMC front sight protector. Finely checkered buttplate.
I was told by a knowledgeable person that the USMC did not use MK1's also. I wonder if it was a Navy rebuilt rifle? SRS had no "hit".
Excellent shooter, so I don't believe it was a straightened scrap barrel. It passes the 25 acp test.
Wish that it could talk. Ken
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-02-2021, 06:46 PM
tgoldie00 tgoldie00 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: SW Ohio, USA
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1903 View Post
I have one of these also, have had it for 30 years, mine has the Mk stock, PLUS, it came with the wide USMC front sight, the correct rear #10 sight, and an original USMC front sight protector. Finely checkered buttplate.
I was told by a knowledgeable person that the USMC did not use MK1's also. I wonder if it was a Navy rebuilt rifle? SRS had no "hit".
Excellent shooter, so I don't believe it was a straightened scrap barrel. It passes the 25 acp test.
Wish that it could talk. Ken

How does this barrel look to you? Pic from the seller.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-02-2021, 07:30 PM
Jim C 351 Jim C 351 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 106
Default

goldie,
the barrel looks rusted and so does the microwave.
Jim C
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-02-2021, 07:30 PM
jeeperbob jeeperbob is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vail, AZ
Posts: 988
Default

Looks good from my house. Since the Mark 1 project came too late to get into WWI, I would guess they went into storage and pulled out for WWII. Probably rebarreled and overhauled due to years in storage after corrosive salts in the bbl.
__________________
The Early Bird Gets the Worm but the Second Mouse Gets the Cheese!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-02-2021, 07:32 PM
tgoldie00 tgoldie00 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: SW Ohio, USA
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim C 351 View Post
goldie,
the barrel looks rusted and so does the microwave.
Jim C

Haha well the microwave and the barrel are still the sellerís!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-02-2021, 07:33 PM
ZvenoMan ZvenoMan is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: BHM AL
Posts: 4,936
Default

How do you know the barrel is from the USMC?
It's a 1943, what month, what manufacturer?

JH
__________________
Zvenoman
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-02-2021, 07:33 PM
tgoldie00 tgoldie00 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: SW Ohio, USA
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperbob View Post
Looks good from my house. Since the Mark 1 project came too late to get into WWI, I would guess they went into storage and pulled out for WWII. Probably rebarreled and overhauled due to years in storage after corrosive salts in the bbl.

I appreciate the look. Iím just trying to figure out if itís worth the drive to inspect further (feeling like it is).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-02-2021, 07:35 PM
tgoldie00 tgoldie00 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: SW Ohio, USA
Posts: 33
Default 1903 Mark I, 1943 USMC barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
How do you know the barrel is from the USMC?
It's a 1943, what month, what manufacturer?

JH


Last edited by tgoldie00; 02-02-2021 at 07:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-02-2021, 08:08 PM
ZvenoMan ZvenoMan is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: BHM AL
Posts: 4,936
Default

If I recall, that barrel was made by Sedgley.
No telling when that barrel was added, it's been rebuilt at least once. Could have acquired that barrel in a Gov't rebuild or after it left the service.
Show some more pics of the rifle and it may be deciphered more.
JH
__________________
Zvenoman
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 PM.