Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2021, 08:07 AM

Although I haven't had bad experiences with PSA, it's been reported on numerous forums their customer service is severely lacking - namely they don't refund or exchange damaged or defective product.

Eli
Old 10-15-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliyahu View Post
Although I haven't had bad experiences with PSA, it's been reported on numerous forums their customer service is severely lacking - namely they don't refund or exchange damaged or defective product.

Eli
I've had really good luck with their customer service. I had ordered a completed AR lower, and there was a minor issue with some of the small parts. I messaged one of the Customer Service guys (Josiah) and he mailed me new parts for it.

A family member also ordered a completed upper from them. I noticed the barrel wasn't centered in the handguard. I messaged Josiah about it again, and he sent my family member a prepaid shipping label to send the upper back to PSA. PSA fixed it (and swapped the gas block too) and shipped it back.

Their customer service has been great for me.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:48 AM

I think PSA has a good reputation in their core business, and their customer service in that area seems to be adequate.

Unfortunately they failed to adequately inspect and grade these milsurps, and being priced a good deal above the beat up Mosin Nagant, the buyers expected them to meet the descriptions from the website.
PSA, upon learning that more than a few had damage beyond what was described, told customers they were on their own, updated the description in the ad, and left many customers with rifles that simply did not meet the description of what they bought.

Their failure to understand the milsurp market (either do a better inspection and then segregate into grades, or sell at a lower price with better expectations. Look at IMA's Nepal Cache offerings; well described and paint a clear picture) and completely unacceptable customer service regarding those transaction is well described by many victims in this thread.
I had nothing but good service from PSA in the past; recommended them to many friends. Were it one or two disgruntled people that is one thing, here a clear pattern reflecting what they think of their customers was made clear to me.

Anyone can buy product from a distributor, purchase a website and run a business. Handling the exceptions (problems) is the true reflection of your value as a business.

I'll spend my discretionary firearms money elsewhere based on that pattern.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 10-15-2021, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
I think PSA has a good reputation in their core business, and their customer service in that area seems to be adequate.

Unfortunately they failed to adequately inspect and grade these milsurps, and being priced a good deal above the beat up Mosin Nagant, the buyers expected them to meet the descriptions from the website.
PSA, upon learning that more than a few had damage beyond what was described, told customers they were on their own, updated the description in the ad, and left many customers with rifles that simply did not meet the description of what they bought.
Their failure to understand the milsurp market (either do a better inspection and then segregate into grades, or sell at a lower price with better expectations. Look at IMA's Nepal Cache offerings; well described and paint a clear picture) and completely unacceptable customer service regarding those transaction is well described by many victims in this thread.
I had nothing but good service from PSA in the past; recommended them to many friends. Were it one or two disgruntled people that is one thing, here a clear pattern reflecting what they think of their customers was made clear to me.

Anyone can buy product from a distributor, purchase a website and run a business. Handling the exceptions (problems) is the true reflection of your value as a business.

I'll spend my discretionary firearms money elsewhere based on that pattern.

JH
John:

Is that what really happened? The original ad said "Surplus very good condition.". As we all know, surplus very good really isn't that nice. I have saved most of the pictures that have been posted here and on other forums (Gunboards and the M14 forum) for reference. Looking back through those pictures there are only a few rifles that would not meet that description. There were a lot posted in excellent condition, and I know that does make it difficult for those who didn't get the nicer ones.

Unfortunately, flatlander and rbgonoles from here on the forum did both have issues with the mounts/mount screws they received that were serious given the lack of parts. One other rifle I saw on another forum appeared to have oil inside the scope and another scope had an excessive amount of rust on the exterior. Beyond those 4 rifles, it was mostly cosmetic issues.

My point is that in fairness, I just haven't seen "many customers with rifles that simply did not meet the description" or "many victims in this thread". It is also understandable to me that broken or stripped mount screws could have been missed on initial inspection. I do agree that PSA could have responded better to some of the issues, based on what we have heard reported.

I sent a message to Josiah with PSA to see if he had seen this thread. Maybe he will comment.

Dave
Old 10-16-2021, 01:27 AM

Dave,

My scope was un-usable. I contacted PSA several times with no replies and finally paid myself to repair the scope. I’m a cheap date. I would have been happy if the went in half on the repair, offered me a few bucks off my next purchase, or even answered my calls or emails.

PSA wasn’t ready to sell a $4300 rifle. You counted four examples of unsatisfied service; at that price point, I think that’s far too many…plus you didn’t count mine. Plus the fact they changed the description (presumably) after complaints started coming in is very telling.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:53 AM

Dave,
Great point.
“Surplus vg condition” means something to me, and I have been infected with mildurps for 25+ years. But I bet my understanding of it is different from yours, or others. It’s just a few vague words on a several thousand dollar item, it is subjective.
So 2 people in this thread reported clear examples and included the response PSA took, which most would agree is unacceptable.
Is 2 not enough? There are others posted on other forums, but again, how many is enough for me, a 3rd party observer to learn how PSA values the customers that spend money with them?
Many will read these examples and continue shopping with them, and there is of course no problem with that.
Me; nope. This is one of my hobbies, PSA sells nothing I need, and nothing that is not available elsewhere, so I will spend my discretionary dollars with people who want to earn my discretionary dollars.
Like I said, one or two disgruntled old geezers is one thing, 3 out of 5 stars with no comments over 11 reviews is one thing; what I saw was a clear message, and a pattern, sent by PSA.
Buyer beware, ok, message received.

Hey, they generally sell good stuff at good prices, and when everything goes right they are great. But in my view they had an opportunity to easily make this right. They chose to handle it that way, so I will take notice.
CMP occasionally sends out items that are simply unacceptable. Look at the customer stories about how they address their screwups. That approach earns customer loyalty.
It’s not hard, it’s more profitable in the long term.
Mistakes happen, how you handle them is the key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODCMP View Post
As you've seen in my prior posts, I agree that they should have taken care of the problems with your rifle and a few others I've seen.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.ph...&postcount=284

http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.ph...&postcount=301

Did you communicate with Josiah on the AR15 Forum Industry Forum? He has fixed a lot of customer service issues there:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry...te-Armory/301/

It is a risk based on the few that have had problems. Nevertheless, there have been a lot of interesting rifles and cases sold through this batch.
The stories I saw showed the customers working through the PSA customer service system. If some guy named Josiah is “the guy”, why is he not “customer service”? Does it say on the PSA website and receipt to contact the guy instead of customer service? Or do you only get resolution if you know “the guy”?

You are exactly right, it was a risk, inherent in milsurps. PSA chose to gamble by not adequately inspecting the items to insure they met the descriptions they wrote. But to then not stand behind their business decision (lack of inspections/proper grading) and tell the customers “sux to be you”, that is also another risk.

You are correct, they should have fixed it. Many solutions were possible, they chose none.
Some customers are ok with that, me; as I said, nope.
Jh

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 10-19-2021, 11:12 AM

"Surplus Very Good" condition is a pretty vague term. With no published standards on their web site, a person would not know exactly what they were getting.

I remember when buying surplus years ago the condition statement usually said "NRA Good Condition" , "NRA Very Good Condition" or similar. Those were published and well known standards, but no one really uses them anymore. They have their own internal grading system, just look at the mess that Classic Arms and RTI use for their surplus.

Also PSA does not do surplus as a core element of their business model. I do feel sorry for those who had issues with their rifles and I think PSA could have handles it better. Also remember most surplus dealers will not fix a damaged rifle. It's usually return for replacement or refund if no replacement available.

I have been buying milsurps since 1977. The game and standards have changed industry wide over that time.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:41 PM

PSA is a pretty casual site selling everything from boutique black rifles to budget handguns. I'm not sure we should apply the same standard of "very good surplus" condition as hardcore collectors know it. PSA probably needs to be a little more careful selling these without grading.

And, their customer service really needs to address any shortcomings in a fair way. The fact they changed the item description to "as is" suggests they know they have fallen short.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:55 PM

Well, I took the plunge for another M1D as they have reappeared on their website. Be interesting to see what I get. Financed it by selling off old ammo and an AK to people who did not prep for panic buying of such things.
Old 10-28-2021, 02:17 PM

No scope version for $2,800 is available. Not seeing any of the scoped options left. They have had the no scoped available since the beginning of the sale of these. They must be having trouble selling them if they have lasted this long. Maybe a Black Friday discount coming??