Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2021, 11:47 AM

Default My North Store score this morning

Got there at 8:30 as Bob was opening the doors. I went straight to the rack of 1903A3's of which there were two, both Remington 1943 vintage. The first one had muzzle & throat readings of 1+ and shiny bore. It had a Smith Corona bolt and a crack in the stock.
The second one came home with me, had a muzzle reading of 2 and throat of 3+. Serial # 3957573 with the last 3 digits of the serial # electro penciled on the bolt.
The barrel dated 9/43 was graded "Good" on the hang tag.
Everything on the rifle to my admittedly untrained eye is telling me that it's all correct on the outside. I haven't taken it out of the stock yet to look at all the hidden parts.
There was one other guy from Iowa in the store who bought the other one. Both rifles were sold within half an hour of the store opening.
Bob said that was it for the A3's. It sounded as though they have been putting a couple out here and there until these last two were sold.

Here's some pictures of my A3.

The faint cartouche to the left of FJA is (boxed) C-SSA

Last edited by Steve-OH; 07-21-2021 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:53 PM

Sounds like we both scored. I showed up at 6:15 yesterday and waited for the doors to open. Scored a early 44' with 11-43 RA barrel that appears to be original ME 1, TE 1, looks unused with no rebuild stamps FJA and RA with Ordnance wheel very nicely visible. They told me if I didn't buy it it would be gone real quickly. I'm very happy with mine!
Old 07-21-2021, 01:04 PM

mwf203
The Wife tried to get me to go early yesterday (We are locals). We stopped by the store yesterday afternoon due to my procrastination, by the time we got there the A3's were gone. I sure am glad I listened to her and went early this morning. Been wanting one for a while. Congrats on what sounds like a nice score.

I've been searching for hours as to why the bolt would have the last 3 ser # digits electric penciled on the bolt. I've learned about Greek returns on the bolt handles. If anyone can give me a clue, along with any other information on this rifle, I'd be obliged.

Last edited by Big_Red; 07-21-2021 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:04 PM

mwf203
The Wife tried to get me to go early yesterday (We are locals). We stopped by the store yesterday afternoon due to my procrastination, by the time we got there the A3's were gone. I sure am glad I listened to her and went early this morning. Been wanting one for a while. Congrats on what sounds like a nice score.

I've been searching for hours as to why the bolt would have the last 3 ser # digits electric penciled on the bolt. I've learned about Greek returns on the bolt handles. If anyone can give me a clue, along with any other information on this rifle, I'd be obliged.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:00 PM

Steve, from what I can find there are 3 groups of 03a3s that ended up on. USMC, NM, and Greek returns. We know yours isn't Greek so either NM or USMC I'd say.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:26 PM

The most recent releases have been VFW and other veteran organization returns. I would imagine that the last three on the bolt were to make sure the correct bolt went back in the right rifle. The CMP sold a lot of Greek returns but the serial number was on the bolt flat as well as the side of the stock. Since we are talking about an 03A3 nothing to do with a national match or marine rifle which for all intents and purposes would be limited to 03ís alone.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:31 AM

The Marines didn't get any 03a3's in WW2. The only time I can find the Marines had some 03A3's is they detail they turned over to the Army roughly 800 in the mid 50s. They had to be acquired at some point after 1945 as I have a full count of rifles at that time.

There are a few random pics of a Marine with an 03a3 in Korea and some random accounts of them in recruiting and Reserve centers in the 50's.

But from what I can see that number of 800 probably was accurate and I don't think they had any more than that

The Marines just never used the rifle. So the chances a 03a3 is Marine is basically extremely low.

The other thing is too the Marines had discontinued working on 03s after early 1943. So any Marine rebuild traits wouldn't show up on them. After early 43 if a 03 was unserviceable they just stored them as unserviceable or broke them down for parts. They just didn't do the rebuilds on them because it was outdated rifle and not worth spending the money to rebuild them
Old 07-22-2021, 08:35 AM

I know of at least one 1903A3 in the Marine Corps inventory.
Last month I went to my older brother's retirement ceremony.
His party was in the Waltzing Matilda bunker behind the 1st Marine Division HQ white house building.
There's Smith Corona 1903A3 hanging in the bar area where the name tags are pinned to the wall.

http://imgur.com/a/kuXlufp
Old 07-22-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinandKim View Post
His party was in the Waltzing Matilda bunker behind the 1st Marine Division HQ white house building.
There's Smith Corona 1903A3 hanging in the bar area where the name tags are pinned to the wall.

Thanks for sharing that. Shows anything is possible I guess. I've read other reports of first hand knowledge that the Marines had a few A3's. I'd like to think that a Marine armorer left his mark on my rifle. The reality is that the VFW return probably makes more sense. Who knows?
Old 07-22-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinandKim View Post

I wish they would let someone take it down off the wall and clean it

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk