Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2023, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyrifleman View Post
You might consider getting a bucket of "Dunkit" which is used to decrease and clean pistols and other parts.

You could simply submerge the entire bolt for a few hours in it and it will dissolve and remove any old oil, dirt and residue. Just be sure to re-oil it after drying it out.
Thanks for the tip! I didn't think of this because I'm concerned about rust and other corrosion, so this is only a partial solution. On the flip side, this will at lease halt the corrosion. If I do this, I will follow it with a good spraydown with Tetra spray.

Every time I get a get a firearm, whether new from the factory or new to me, I detail strip it, remove the old oil/lube, re-lube & re-grease, and reassemble.

A new-to-me CMP M1 had a trigger group caked in cosmoline. It wasn't dangerous, but it would certainly increase wear.

Even my factory-new SA M1A, Ruger 10/22 and Ruger Mini-14 got the same treatment. The oil which factories use is really just a protectant, and does little for friction. Even then, oil just slings off.

This is a good article for when to use oil, and when to use grease. One example is the bolt and oprod for an M1. If you use oil for the bolt and oprod friction points, it will not stay in place. I use cheap hobby brushes to apply juuuuust enough grease

https://www.fulton-armory.com/faqs/A...landGrease.htm

Here is another video from an M14/M1A expert who shows how to oil and grease. M1 Garands are close enough to M14s that nearly everything applies, especially the sight, bolt, receiver, and oprod.

https://rumble.com/vbugnp-m14m1a-det...tructions.html

Amazon has a good deal on hobby/acid brushes. Note that "acid" brushes are used to apply acid/flux when soldering. They are safe for metal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBTV5V2/

You can get smaller quantities, but 144 brushes for $18 (12.5/brush) is hard to beat! If you are like me, and use compatible oil & grease (Mobil 1 oil & grease, Tetra lube & Tetra grease, etc.) then you can reuse a brush several times.

Yet another Amazon deal is on 99% isopropyl alcohol, a dozen 16oz bottles for $24.27.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J62C1K5/

I have looked, and there is nothing less expensive per ounce, even in gallon containers.
Old 01-30-2023, 01:46 PM

MGM
I sent you a message with address to some very detailed instructions (32 pages) on how to do it.

http://gnewyear.com/files/M12boltDA.pdf
I don't how to make a link out of this.
Hobbs
Old 01-30-2023, 02:45 PM

Hobbs,
Thank you for those instructions.
They remind me of why I keep looking at ultrasonic cleaners.
Old 01-31-2023, 04:06 PM

I use a ultrasonic cleaner with Lucas Oil Bore Cleaner/Ultrasonic Fluid. I Throw all my bolts in it when they need to be cleaned. Works great.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:48 PM

Thanks to every one who helped!

I decided that disassembling the bolt is beyond my comfort zone, and I would hate to ruin something so hard to replace.

I talked to someone in the CMP Custom Shop, and he said that they can detail disassemble everything -- including trigger group -- and then clean and lubricate. They will even use my oil & grease if I include it with the rifle.

It will cost around $200, and I will have to wait 6-8 months, but I think that is my best, and safest, option.

"A man's got to know his limitations." -- D. Harry
Old 01-31-2023, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntsams View Post
I use a ultrasonic cleaner with Lucas Oil Bore Cleaner/Ultrasonic Fluid. I Throw all my bolts in it when they need to be cleaned. Works great.
I would love to get an ultrasonic cleaner, but they are a budget buster for me!

In the past few days, I have stripped and cleaned the trigger groups and bolts of a Ruger Mini-14 and an M1 Carbine. Using 99% isopropyl alcohol, I cleaned the parts with a soaked cotton rag and a nylon toothbrush as well as a bronze toothbrush.

Then I let them soak overnight, and repeated the cloth & brushes. Then one final rinse with clean isopropyl. The Mini-14 is new, so not much came off. But the Carbine? Both the bolt and especially the trigger group left lots of gunk in the soak bowl.

BTW, isopropyl alcohol is one of the best de-gunkers, and it is cheap, but you have to use 99% -- the 70% is 30% water. If you want to by in bulk, 16oz bottles are $1.79 each. Here is a dozen for $21.47 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J62C1K5/
Old 02-03-2023, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMShooter View Post
I decided that disassembling the bolt is beyond my comfort zone, and I would hate to ruin something so hard to replace.
For your bolt, try a soak in mineral spirits for 24-48 hours. Rinse and repeat. No need to disassemble anything and you may be surprised at what comes out of that bolt.
3. Under Marxism, it's like being in a dark room and looking for a black cat that isn't there, and the State announces, "We found it!"
Old 02-03-2023, 05:47 PM

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lit...sonic+cleaners

Budget buster?
If you spend a few minutes on eBay you can get these even cheaper.
I have an eBay copy of this (probably the same thing with a different label) and the only complaint is I can't fit barreled rifle receivers in it. I sold my large parts washer after a few uses of this.
Old 02-04-2023, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
For your bolt, try a soak in mineral spirits for 24-48 hours. Rinse and repeat. No need to disassemble anything and you may be surprised at what comes out of that bolt.
I've used Ronsonol (A lighter fluid) to clean my M12 bolt and it worked pretty well.
Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
I've used Ronsonol (A lighter fluid) to clean my M12 bolt and it worked pretty well.
Any petroleum based solvent should work. Mineral spirits may be available more places these days. I've also used charcoal lighter fluid in a pinch.
3. Under Marxism, it's like being in a dark room and looking for a black cat that isn't there, and the State announces, "We found it!"