Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 03:17 PM

I have done it both ways, but no the lower band is not backwards. The pin will only if it is in the right direction. A good thought though.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:21 PM

If you had radius or V-blocks, a dial indicator and hydraulic press it'd take all of 2-3 minutes to check and/or straighten the barrel by indicator alone. It is really simple to do. It's just a tool shortage problem!
Old 01-25-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavaTech View Post
If you had radius or V-blocks, a dial indicator and hydraulic press it'd take all of 2-3 minutes to check and/or straighten the barrel by indicator alone. It is really simple to do. It's just a tool shortage problem!
Sounds simple enough, but not one I would try on my own. Tools or no tools.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:47 PM

you can check barrel alignment with 2 3/8th rods like the CMP does,
remove front and rear sights then balance the rods like at 19:43 in the vid
check the alingnment from front to rear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pxH...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-25-2021, 09:43 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekkert View Post
you can check barrel alignment with 2 3/8th rods like the CMP does,
remove front and rear sights then balance the rods like at 19:43 in the vid
check the alingnment from front to rear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pxH...ature=youtu.be
It would drag on the side of the band if incorrectly indexed. The OP indicated that's not the case.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:07 PM

I would not straighten a barrel using the exterior dimension. The bore does not necessarily line up with the exterior. The standard is to optically check straightness and go from there. Anyone can use the optical method. It is actually pretty easy. You simply view a lattice through the bore and look for curvature. I use the siding on a building--and it works! Unfortunately, you need a straight shot through the receiver which leaves out the M1 unless the barrel is removed or some complicated mirror system is used. Let us know how this ends. Good Shooting. ..
Old 01-26-2021, 01:21 PM

I realize that straightening barrels based on exterior measurement only is likely to produce "minute of ballpark" unless the bore is concentric (doubtful) but it does handle gross deformity and can be done without dismounting. Finalizing optically would still be best practice without doubt and the only way to assure best results.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:40 PM

OP - Can you clarify that the oprod is hitting the barrel band with the BR out of the stock, and not the tab of the stock ferrule?

It's common to have interference at the ferrule, but if the oprod is contacting the barrel band without the ferrule tab present, that's not normal.

Also, you mentioned the contact is occurring at the bottom of the barrel band. By "bottom" do you mean at both the 4:00 and 8:00 positions? There is no 6:00 position (band is open at the bottom) and I'm just trying to get a mental picture of what's happening.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsun View Post
All of the posts sound really logical and I would agree with the bent barrel theory. I assume we are dealing with a :M-1 Garand? A simple solution, buy a new Barrel. A standard Military Barrel is not that expensive.AJ?
That may be the end result, once I decide it is a bent barrel problem. but I hate the idea of losing the original barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by la Fiere View Post
OP - Can you clarify that the oprod is hitting the barrel band with the BR out of the stock, and not the tab of the stock ferrule?

It's common to have interference at the ferrule, but if the oprod is contacting the barrel band without the ferrule tab present, that's not normal.

Also, you mentioned the contact is occurring at the bottom of the barrel band. By "bottom" do you mean at both the 4:00 and 8:00 positions? There is no 6:00 position (band is open at the bottom) and I'm just trying to get a mental picture of what's happening.
Not the stock ferrule. By bottom, I mean when you looking at it with the barrel assembly upside down on my desk. It rubs/binds against the bottom of the arc made by the opening for the op-rod to run through. 12 o'clock or top, if I was holding the rifle upright.

https://imgur.com/EE0cLBs
Old 01-26-2021, 05:38 PM

Have you tried other barrel bands?
Closed Thread